What's new

Hockey Talk: The Official NHL 2008-2009 Thread (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Winter Classic certainly is a unique event for the NHL. I don't think even Bettman is stupid enough to screw it up.

It will be interesting to see where they play next. Boston or New York -- old Fenway or new Yankee Stadium -- seem likely places.

FiveSix

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike

I know next year is the East's turn again since it was West this year, but they should have a Calgary Vs. Edmonton game, that would be sick. I'm rooting for Boston, VS Montreal for the east.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I would think one of the Canadian cities would be next in line to host it, but not likely because of NBC.

The only way Bettman can mess it up, is by trying to have it in places like Florida or Atlanta.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don't think Toronto has a stadium that would work -- the Skydome is indoors. I'm not sure what's available in Montreal. And, as you said Walter, I doubt that NBC would want the game in Canada, and Bettman would probably go along with that, even though the NHL doesn't get much money from NBC.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
OK the Penguins are stinking these days. The power play is nonexistent and this has been a constant under the Therrien regime, I'm getting sick of it. Sure he took them to the Cup finals last year but he still can't assemble an effective power play special team.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

My first thought was "have it in Florida and I'll go!" My second thought was to wonder how they would set up an outdoor ice rink in 78 degree weather.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

The Skydome has a retractable roof, so it could still have an outdoor game. The other option would be Vancouver, but that city has enough on its plate, with the Olympics.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
The night I complain about the Pens lack of a power play, they get not one but two power play goals. Okay, they were playing the Thrashers but a win is a win. Hopefully someone got a fire lit under their ass.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I never knew that. Of course, I do not watch baseball anymore, so I do not see the stadium, either.

The All-Star starters have been determined... not much ballot stuffing going on, huh?
Even this Habs fan will admit that not one of those Montreal players should be starting. Having the entire starting lineups from both conferences to consist of players from only four teams is quite silly. That's what happens when you put the voting entirely in the hands of the fans.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No offense meant, because I've known and met some very knowledgable Habs fans, but this farce taints the rest of the league's opinion of the average Canadiens fan's pride in the traditions and history of the sport. When fanboyism reaches this amount of fervor, the respectful, knowledgeable, and tradition steeped fan is the one who is most drowned out. I expect this stuff from an expansion team, not the league's oldest, proudest, and winningest franchise.

That said, the league dropped the ball by not nipping it in the bud right after the bot voting was discovered. So I blame them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jeff,

Yes, it's quite embarrassing, especially since Markov is the only player that could be argued as even deserving to be in the All-Star game, let alone be a starter. The league really should have seen this coming after the near-miss fiasco a couple of years ago when Edmonton fans almost got a journeyman forward voted in as a starter (I can't remember his name now). I still suspect the league "fixed" the final vote there, since he just dropped out of the starting spot on the last day of voting.

Chicago fans did not fare much better.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but Chicago is basically an expansion team. :D

PS - This is basically an automated, internet version of the time my friends and I all voted the entire Red Sox World Series lineup to start in the MLB All-Star game.

Of course, that was 1976 and I was 11 years old.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jeff,

I know you're joking, but as one of the six original teams (Chicago), you're just having a bit of fun, yes?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Of course I'm joking. But they certainly are in a rebuilding phase after going years with a worse record than even Boston, which is saying a lot. I can forgive them their exuberance for their players after being starved for so long.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jeff,

I assumed as much. Please do not do that again without asking permission first. Thanks.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator

It's pretty frustrating...the D and intensity just isn't there - blow a 3 goal lead again last night and lose. Very aggravating. Not to mention the PP was anemic once again.

My wife surprised me with Pens v. Caps tix for Christmas. It's the sunday March game in DC. At the rate that the Caps are rising and the Pens are falling, it won't mean a thing by that time...

Let's hope that they can get it righted - soon.

Randy

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator

Well, yesterday's performance certainly wasn't getting things righted. Pens loose to slumping Avalanche. Now have dropped 7 of 8. 10th Place in East.

Flyers up next in Philly.

Randy

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm wondering if the Sharks will ever lose at home this year. I'm hoping that the Red Wings defeat them this Saturday in San Jose. :emoji_thumbsup:

The Habs and the Bruins square off tonight. I'd really like to see a close game, something on the order of a final score of 8-0, Boston. ;)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Kessel out with mono for at least a week (probably more). Damn kids getting damn kid's diseases. :crazy:

But don't worry Habs fans, I hear Lucic will be healthy, rested, and ready to go. Let's hope for a few Habs through the glass tonight. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks