What's new

History DVDs (1 Viewer)

Jude Faelnar

Stunt Coordinator
While not exactly a documentary, I believe that Tora! Tora! Tora! was presented like one. I also liked the history lessons in Gandhi. And I can't wait for the DVD release of Schindler's List.
JUDE

Randy Duncan

Auditioning
I concur with the general sentiment here re: "The World At War". It is absolutely superb, possibly the finest WWII documentary I've ever seen.

Another great film is Nigel Turner's 1988 "The Men Who Killed Kennedy" (coming out later this month), although be careful with this one. There is a LOT of accurate information in this film, particularly from Dr. Cyril Wecht, Robert Groden, and Harold Weisberg. However, there is some material that must be taken with a grain of salt. As a student of November 22, 1963 for many, many years I HIGHLY recommend this one.

ELRAND

Logic + Reason = Truth

Common sense is our ally.

Richard F

Grip
I agree World at War is a great series,probably the best WWII documentary.However for those completing the 21 hour plus marathon,if they are like me,their unwatched DVD pile will increase significantly if they watch 1 or 2 episodes a day!I am also anxious to get The Men Who Killed Kennedy on DVD.I taped the series years ago on VHS.Anyone who still believes Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone assassin should watch this.Also Images of an Assassination,which contains the Zapruder film,is another good addition to any history buff's collection.

I've always been a big fan of the Sharpe's series. Great fictional (based on fact) accounts of the Napoleonic wars. Several episodes now on DVD.

Brian O

Second Unit
History channel has a very good series showing currently called Color of War. It typically shows on Sunday nights and is a 13 part series. The shows I have seen are excellent. It is only available on VHS so far, but hopefully will come out on DVD soon.

For Sports history, I highly recommend The Life and Times of Hank Greenburg and the When It Was A Game Series. Also, I have Ken Burn's Baseball. Even though the latter leaves out some things that could have been covered, I find it very enjoyable and interesting, covering details never before covered.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Netflixs have quite a few DVDs for rental. Just watched the History of New York City, very good with extras even.

Waiting for the day "The Western Tradition" makes it to dvd(I am not holding my breath...$500 for the vhs is a bit out of my league)... but for those people interested in a great great history program; check out PBSU!!!

Richard F

Grip
I just watched an A+E documentary called Heros of Iwo Jima.It tells the story behind the famous photograph of the flag raising on Mt.Surabachi and the individuals who participated.This is actually an account of two separate flag raisings,photographed by two different war photographers,the second one immortalized by Joe Rosenthal's camera,the one we are all familiar with.Most people are not aware of or haven't seen the first picture.I found this to be an excellent DVD,a nice companion to Bradley's book Flags of Our Fathers.Bradley narrates parts of the film and is the son of one of the six flag raisers in the photograph.The audio and video quality is generally good,most of it in color.Some of the footage is quite graphic,giving us a sense of the horror experienced by those who took part in the battle.One cannot see the film and not be moved by the sacrifices made there for us all.Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks