What's new

Help with Pioneer VSX-32 (1 Viewer)

JRL80

Grip
Real Name
John
Good morning everyone,

Was wondering if someone can assist me with an issue on a Pioneer Elite VSX-32 Receiver. I tried various ways to alleviate the issue before posting here(referencing the troubleshooting guide in the manual/checking the Pioneer website), but I have had zero success. I owned and used this receiver for the better part of three years. It has worked flawlessly for me until a few weeks ago. When using the receiver to watch cable television I notice at the end of a local ad or cable company commercial, I hear a loud noise (almost like a loud spike in the sound for a fraction of a second just before the next commercial) at the end of the commercial before it goes back to the program or on to the next national commercial. I thought for sure it was the cable company so I contacted them and they said it was an issue with my receiver. To further justify this, I connected the sound straight to my TV and didn’t have the issue. I take very good care of the receiver and since the day it was taken out of the box, it has been stored on a very open shelf (all 4 sides). I am hoping this is an easy fix and maybe something in the settings was accidentally changed by myself or my wife.

Please let me know if any of you have heard of this….it’s tough watching TV at night and wincing during a commercial break waiting for a sound spike at the end of a commercial.

I truly appreciate your help in advance with this matter.

Warmest regards,

John

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
These types of issues are very difficult to diagnose, especially on a computer. Strange that it happens between commercials. I'm guessing you've done the factory reset. I can't imagine what settings change would cause this. You can also try leaving the receiver unplugged for 24 hours (not sure what this would do but it's often recommended to try it when a receiver goes haywire).

If it's an HDMI issue you could connect an optical cable between the cable box and receiver for audio. Analog cables might work too but you would lose Dolby 5.1 (not an acceptable option to me).

I've been using an Elite VSX-23 for a couple of years now with heavy usage. So far no problems except an occasional (2-3 times maybe) hdmi handshake issue but turning the receiver off and on again has always solved it.

Don't know what else to try. Hope you figure it out.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have a Pioneer VSX-1120 (which I believe is identical to the Elite VSX-32 with the exception of 12v triggers). Never had an issue but have been using it in the office system (mostly internet radio, when I listen to JRiver via the PC or sometimes an SACD via a Sony Blu-Ray player and about once a year a movie) and never have had an issue. I initially had the receiver for a couple of months in the secondary basement system but the room was too large and it just did not work out. Does it happen on every station or just some? I have noticed (not with the Pioneer) that I have one station (and I don't have cable) that the commercials are really so much louder. I don't get a pop but if I am watching on the basement system, which has a projector and external TV tuner, the jump in volume will make you jump. Even notice it watching on the bedroom TV in the built in speakers but the impact is not quite the same. They make stuff like this - http://www.smarthome.com/7848T/Terk-VR-1-TV-Volume-Regulator/p.aspx

Never tried it though

JRL80

Grip
Real Name
John
Phil, it occurs on every channel..tried a few things last night and am going with Gene's advice and leaving it unplugged for 24 hours...when I get home tonight I will check things out and hopefully this issue is alleviated....thanks for all of your help...you guys are wonderful! I reached out to Pioneer yesterday morning and the helpful people here assisted me and I have yet to hear a peep from the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks