1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Help picking a receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Charlesbusa, May 30, 2009.

1. Charlesbusa

Charlesbusa Member

I've narrowed my choices to these, which are in my $479-$599 range;

Denon AVR1910 $549 or AVR790 $499
    Onkyo TX-SR607 $599 or TX-SR606 $599
    Yamaha RX-V565 $479

However, after researching on this forum. I've found I can step up to the next model by buying factory refurbished with a 1 year warranty;
    Onkyo TX-SR706 $499
    Marantz SR5003 $549

I have four(LF,LR,RF,RR) Klipsch XB-10 speakers(50W continuous,200W peak) and an Klipsch XL-23 center speaker(70W continuous, 275W peak). Also a Martin-Logan Dynamo(10", 200W continuous) and a Mitsubishi 65" DLP TV. I'll watch 90% movies and 10% TV.

Do you guys recommend a new lesser model or a refurbished higher model for the system I have?

Out of the choices listed, what are the pros and cons for the different models and brands for the speakers I have?

And finally I'm wondering what guage wire to use. The longest length to run is 37ft(RR), the other four runs are shorter. Looks like 14 guage would be good for sure, but what about 16 guage?

2. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    Of what's listed, the 706 @ $499 looks to be the best deal. The Denon 790/1910 is what I'm recommending for my brother at the moment, but that could change by the time he's ready to buy. Marantz is my favorite brand but mostly based on music performance which you didn't mention. And their video processing is said to be average at best so I'd cross it off the list unless you hook your video sources straight to your display. You should be able to get the 607/606 for much less than $599. Keep looking [​IMG] .

607) Only converts to 1080i, lesser version of Audyssey
    Has PLIIz

1910/710) Very nice over all. Not many s-video inputs.
    Denon remotes are often criticized.

565) Yapo instead of Audyssey, Presence speakers instead of PLIIz
    Amp sometimes runs out of power when pushed hard.
    Lots of features for the money.

5003) Expensive-except as a refurb, top quality internal components,
    less than stellar video processing, wonderful for music, it's a
    Marantz.

706) No PLIIz, may run a little hot. Otherwise what's not to like?

I'd go with the 706 or 1910/710. As I always say, download the manuals from their websites and give them a going over.

3. Charlesbusa

Charlesbusa Member

What does the PLIIz feature do?

Thanks

4. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    It adds two additional speakers, above and inside, the front mains. It's supposed to raise the soundfield. If you use those, you can't use the rear surrounds. Yamaha's "Presence" feature does the same thing but Dolby's is said to be a bit better. I have no experience with either.

5. Charlesbusa

Charlesbusa Member

Frys has the Onkyo 607 for $100 cheaper than I listed above.

Has anybody had any issues with running speaker wire next to coxial satellite cables if the speaker wire is CL3 rated?

Can't find the aluminum shielded speaker wires in 16 or 14gauage.

6. Charlesbusa

Charlesbusa Member

I choose the Onkyo 706 and the monster cable 14 gauage cl3 shielded speaker wires.