What's new

Heath Ledger: RIP (1 Viewer)

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I cannot recall being this shaken over a celebrity death since the day in August 2001 when Aaliyah died in a plane crash.

Her passing hit me very hard--so very hard that I could not think straight at all and was in a dazed funk that entire Sunday, which, BTW, was the final day of my summer vacation that very year.

Hearing of Heath Ledger's passing at work today hit me--and several of my co-workers--like a ton of bricks. Listening to my SIRIUS Radio at work regarding coverage of his untimely passing was rather surreal, from E! Radio to Maxim Radio!!!

And to see his daughter looking so much like him...very surreal. One of my friends at work showed me a picture of mother and daughter alone in a recent celeb magazine.

This is bad. Very bad.

I liked Mr. Ledger's work over the years. I was looking forward to see what he was going to do as The Joker this coming summer in The Dark Knight.

I am certainly going to miss him. Besides losing a fine, uprising talent in Mr. Ledger, his daughter loses her father, his family and friends, a loved one.

R.I.P., Ennis.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I know he did a lot of great work, but for me Brokeback Mountain is one that I will forever treasure. The film went beyond mere entertainment and cemented itself in my heart and mind. And Heath was the thread that held it all together. So, Heath, wherever you are, thanks for the gift...from a fan you'll never meet, but one who is eternally grateful that through your performance you gave me a voice. Thank you.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
What's so hard to understand? People die everyday, and much of it is tragic. But it's all the more so when in an (by definition) uncertain life, the deceased seemed to be on the sure path to an existence where at least one of the biggest impediments to happiness (money) would no longer be an issue.

(yes, I realize that money and fame have their cost. But there is a reason most would rather be rich than otherwise).

I didn't even like Ledger much until Brokeback Mountain. Something about him just didn't agree with me from Roar to A Knight's Tale. Contrarily to many, I would have called him unlikeable then. But I respected his turn in Monster's Ball, and then made a complete 180 with Brokeback Mountain -- an unlikely, devastating prowess of acting. And now this. Ah well :thumbsdown:.

--
H

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
At least he managed to complete 1 Terry Gilliam movie of The Brothers Grimm with Matt Damon 3 years ago.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Pretty decent actor. A real shame. I've only ever seen him in Brothers Grimm and The Patriot (both of which I'm proud to own on DVD). I'll diffinitely get around to seeing Brokeback, even though it doesn't appear to be my thing.

His Joker sure looks different than Jack's. It'll be interesting to truly compare. He'll become a legend among the diehard superhero movie fans. On other forum boards I've noticed many are taking great pains in slamming Nicholson's performance in favor of Ledgers. So these RIP Heath Ledger boards can be a source of laughs among this real tragedy. Gotta love the fanboys.

Anyway, a true RIP dude. :frowning: Sorry you didn't make it a bit longer. My heart goes out to your family and friends.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Hearing the news of his passing yesterday made me feel almost sick to my stomach, and I usually never have such reactions to stuff like this. But I admired and liked Ledger more with every performance he gave, and still think he should have won the Oscar for his incredible work as Ennis in Brokeback.

--Jefferson Morris

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I actually first saw him in The Patriot and i've liked him in just about every film he did after that except for A Knight's Tale, just couldn't get my head around the concept for that one.

A tremendous loss to the film world. :frowning:

RIP Mr. Ledger.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm sorry to see so many knocking A Knight's Tale. Sure, it's weird, but it is a lot of fun, and it has an unusually talented cast. I suggest unclenching a bit and giving it another try. Just go with it.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
This comes from my blog that I posted yesterday:

Within the last week, two of my favorite actors have passed away years before their full potential could of been truly utilized.

On January 15, 2008 - Brad Renfro passed away to unknown causes.

The Cure, Sleepers, Apt Pupil, Bully, Ghost World and Deuces Wild are just a few amazing films that Brad performed in - He tried his best to overcome his "demons" in life and I commend him for his solid acting ability. The Cure was one of the first dramas I remember seeing and Brad really pulled on my heartstrings. In loving memory of him and let's hope his son will be taken care of.

Just a few minutes ago - I found out that on on today, January 22, 2008 Heath Ledger was found dead earlier in his apartment of an apparent accidental overdose to perscription pills. This was a man who could be on any film lover's top ten actors. Brokeback Mountain, Ten Things I Hate About You and Candy are perfect film performances in my opinion. With a starring role in the new Dark Knight - he was destined for greatness.

Life is so short and we have to appreciate the short time we have on this Earth. I encourage you view these actor's films. Brokeback Mountain in my opinion was the best film of it's year - mainly because of the earnest performance by Heath. He leaves behind one daughter - let's hope she'll understand and be okay.

In closing - these two people are more than just actors that I like, they are men who had families who may of made a bad choice that deserve to be remembered for the good they did in life.

-

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the situation - I just hope both deaths were quick and painless and they're in a better place.

Dennis

Second Unit
What can be said of someone I never met?

I can only say what I know, and I know he was an extremely talented actor.
He had a natural way about him, and it definitely came across on screen.

From those films that have already been mentioned like Monster's Ball and Brokeback Mountain and some that haven't like Lords Of Dogtown, in which he gives a wild, heartbreaking performance worthy of an Oscar, he's left some memorable moments that will live on for generations to come. I hope The Dark Knight ranks along with Giant, Enter the Dragon and The Crow as an everlasting memory of what might have been.

Here is a small, wonderful moment, in tribute to a fallen star.

Lords Of Dogtown

"Farewell sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."
- William Shakespeare

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For the second time, posts pertaining to a religious group's protests have been removed. They don't belong here, especially in light of HTF Rule 4. Thank you for your cooperation.

M.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
I've liked him since his role in Ten Things I Hate About You. He will definitely be missed, because he was an amazing talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks