What's new
World Wide Stereo

HD Sports screen format? (1 Viewer)

728x90

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Fox is not HD, it is SD (480p). Fox's picture, while quite clear and bright, does not even approach true HD.

Mark, the Bruins and Sox are/were outstanding in HD. I can't say how depressing it is to watch NESN's fuzzy, washed-out, static filled regular broadcast for away games. The difference is like day and (a very moonless) night.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
I can't agree w/you more about NESN's SD broadcasts. It got to a point where I looked forward to the UPN38 or WBZ4 SD digital OTA Red Sox broadcast because its so much better.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Fox is not HD, it is SD (480p). Fox's picture, while quite clear and bright, does not even approach true HD.
I did not know that Fox doesn't broadcast in true HD. Maybe that's why the picture is so grainy compare to others.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

Yup, Fox is only 480 SD. I like to call it "Fox Fake-HD". They are supposed to start limited HD transmissions sometime this year.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
I can't figure Fox. Locally the networks had to erect or upgrade towers for digital TV. ABC and NBC did it early on and offered HDTV last year. Fox apparently did only some sort of minimal upgrade to comply, but I don't think it's fully digital. Further they announced that they have no imminent plans for HDTV. Dopes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks