What's new

HD-DVD players, cables included? (1 Viewer)

DaveMK

Agent
Does anyone know at this point whether the upcoming HD-DVD players will come with the DVI cables included?
I really wouldn't want to spend $75-$120 extra just to hook up the player. Along these lines--
does anybody know if the players will have a separate coax/optic audio out? I know DVI contains both audio and Visual, but I would want to send the audio over to my A/V reciever and just send the picture to my HDTV.

If this is the wrong forum please send this to the proper one. Thanks.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
The included cables are never the $100 kind, e.g., both my Oppo dvd and directv HD tivo included an HDMI/DVI cable as well as a dvi cable (oppo) or hdmi cable (hd tivo). No way those cables were $120 each, and they work just fine. You can find plenty of dvi/hdmi cables for $15 or less if they are not included with the new formats and they'll do a well enough job. DVI doesn't include audio; HDMI does.

DaveMK

Agent
Thanks guys. I realize now I transposed the DVI/HDMI in my post. My upconvert DVD player did come with a DVI cable and it wasn't the $100 kind and it works just fine. So I was hoping the HDDVD would include a HDMI. The problem I have where I live is that all the stores carry only the really expensive cables and don't stock the reasonably priced ones. It's a great profit item for them. I'll be very happy Blu-Ray players also carry a cable regardless if it's just a standard non super duper high quality. Thanks again.
Oh, what about a separate optical or coaxial digital audio output--is that a certainty?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks