What's new

HD-DVD in dallas (1 Viewer)

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
Fry's Electronics has an HD-DVD unit hooked up to a 72" DLP television. The only thing running on the disc was the sd to HD comparison. While HD blows the SD out of the water, it is pretty clear that they used the worst possible 480i camera to capture the footage.

I didn't think it was really an accurate comparison simply for the fact that almost all material these days is downconverted from a higher resolution. You'd be hard pressed to find 480i source material.

Does anyone know if this disc is supposed to contain movie clips? People on this forum have said that they've seen clips of King Kong and Serenity, but the disc itself only had one chapter.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I went to the HD DVD demo at Bjorn's Audio - Video in San Antonio last week and on the demo disc it had the HD SD comparison footage with the split screen images you spoke of, and about a dozen or more trailers as well as some clips. The Kong trailer by far was the most impressive! It looked better than what I saw at the theater, and that was a fresh print.

I agree. The so-called SD DVD images used in the comparison were equivalent to the worst kind of video transfer imaginable. I suspect that while they may have been "DVD resolution", they were probably recorded at very low bit rates.

I was told by the Toshiba rep that they would be leaving a permanent demo unit at Bjorn's with the demo disc, so for those that missed the demo you can still check it out if you are curious.

Here's the contact info for Byorn's:
http://www.bjorns.com
14123 Hwy 281 N, San Antonio, TX 78232
(210) 828-3237
(800) 223-6991

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Blast! I thought I had gotten the HD-DVD tour dates from the Toshiba web site, and it wasn't scheduled for Dallas until later in the month. I was going to go see the demo… :frowning:

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
The tour date IS scheduled for later in the month - next wednesday (mar 22) to be specific.

I was just referring to the demo unit that they had hooked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks