What's new

Have you bought a 4K set yet? Do you see yourself getting one in 2017? (2 Viewers)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Sam Posten said:
Funny but I don't think it's true. Those of you who responded earlier, are the sinking prices having any effect on your resolve to wait?

For me price isn't the key consideration. I'm waiting because:

- The various 4K standards are still in flux - which manufacturer will have the best HDR implementation for example?

- As mentioned earlier, it's either OLED or nothing for me, and so there's still a wait to see (a) whether other manufacturers jump onboard OLED, or if it's just confined to (ugh) LG; and (b) I want to skip the early gen OLED tech.

- I want the curved screen fad to die off.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:
For me price isn't the key consideration. I'm waiting because:

- The various 4K standards are still in flux - which manufacturer will have the best HDR implementation for example?

- As mentioned earlier, it's either OLED or nothing for me, and so there's still a wait to see (a) whether other manufacturers jump onboard OLED, or if it's just confined to (ugh) LG; and (b) I want to skip the early gen OLED tech.

- I want the curved screen fad to die off.
It's somewhat the same reason for me. Sure, I like the prices to drop more, but also, I'm not sure about the 4K specifications with these different manufacturers. Also, I just bought my plasmas in the last 2-3 years so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade for early generation OLED equipment.

TimmyBosko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Bosko
My wife and I had no intention of even looking at a 4K UHD tv. I was waiting for the OLED 4k tvs to come down in price and just get one of those.. By then there would likely be alot more 4K content to view.

We have had a Sharp 70" LED 1080P tv for a little over 2.5 years. About a month ago we noticed a black vertical line from the very top to the very bottom about 6 inches from the right side. We got this one from Pauls TV and we paid for the extended warranty.

When we called the warranty company they said they had to send someone out to verify the issue. The guy arrived and said the display needed to be replaced. Took some pictures and said someone would call or e-mail within a week with what they were going to do.

They e-mailed and gave us a choice of two equivalent new 1080P tv's or a check for 2300.00 bucks. We took the money. We paid 2600.00 for Sharp.

After researching the various LED 4k UHD Tv's and realizing that no matter which one we went with, they all had their pros and cons.. we settled on the LG 65UF8500. Easy setup and wow the HD channels look amazing.. Much better than I was expecting. Color is very brilliant and vivid.. truly impressive.

Watched Avatar in BR 3D and we were completely amazed by what we saw. So far I am loving it. It has a bit of white on both of the top corners when black screen is shown but not bad at all. Certainly not enough to concern me.

The sharp is now at my daughters house.

So no we were not intending on getting a 4k TV but the above circumstances lead us to this upgrade. The TV and 5 year warranty only cost us 100 bucks.

We are having one issue but will post in the appropriate thread..

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you guys are so intent on waiting for OLED I'd really recommend spending some time with the current crop. Yes they have good blacks but they aren't a silver bullet, I don't like them so much that I'd pin my hopes and a 3 year wait on one just to find it's got it's own set of trade offs..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
If you guys are so intent on waiting for OLED I'd really recommend spending some time with the current crop. Yes they have good blacks but they aren't a silver bullet, I don't like them so much that I'd pin my hopes and a 3 year wait on one just to find it's got it's own set of trade offs..
In my case, my displays are relatively new so it doesn't make sense for me to upgrade now especially with the lack of 4k material.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's fair but it's a different argument Crawdaddy. I constantly see comments of folks convinced OLED is a true game changer and so far what I see doesn't live up to the hype. Especially given how great FALD looks to me, it's available today, at scale and at reasonable prices. If buyers don't want to spend $3k plus on top end you can still get an ammmmmazing set if you can see any preconceived notions you might have about LED tech, and my position on how silly that bias is has never wavered :)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
No I will not be buying a 4k tv/projector as its early days and not many content on bluray and near-field mixes bothers me the most so I'd just be paying for the same thing all over again

I'm pleased with LG 1080i/p and the projector at 1080i.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
That's fair but it's a different argument Crawdaddy. I constantly see comments of folks convinced OLED is a true game changer and so far what I see doesn't live up to the hype. Especially given how great FALD looks to me, it's available today, at scale and at reasonable prices. If buyers don't want to spend $3k plus on top end you can still get an ammmmmazing set if you can see any preconceived notions you might have about LED tech, and my position on how silly that bias is has never wavered :)
I think that's their hope it would be a true game changer that replaces plasma and takes it to the next level. In time, we'll see how all this stuff shakes out.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
... if you can see any preconceived notions you might have about LED tech, and my position on how silly that bias is has never wavered :)
Let's remember that it's not a just some sort of irrational "bias" against LCD that some of us have, rather a lack of willingness to settle for the still-valid flaws that LCD technology has based on facts :) It goes beyond poor black levels, and encompasses poor viewing angles as well as poor motion handling - three critical areas for quality viewing.

I'm happy enough with my current plasma, so I can wait to see if the OLED gamble pays off or not. OLED has its flaws as well, but nothing like LCD.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Persianimmortal said:
Let's remember that it's not a just some sort of irrational "bias" against LCD that some of us have, rather a lack of willingness to settle for the still-valid flaws that LCD technology has based on facts :) It goes beyond poor black levels, and encompasses poor viewing angles as well as poor motion handling - three critical areas for quality viewing.

I'm happy enough with my current plasma, so I can wait to see if the OLED gamble pays off or not. OLED has its flaws as well, but nothing like LCD.
Agree....the off-angle viewing problems with LCD is, for me, the biggest issue. I too will stick with my Panny plasma until something that equals its performance is available.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
revgen said:
No and No.

There's very little 4K content out there. Much less 4K with 10-bit color and HDR. If I ever do go 4K, it will probably be a projector. Not a TV. And it will include all the features of UHD Blu-Ray standard, assuming UHD Blu-Ray doesn't tank.
No and no.

This echoes my thoughts.

I've used a 55" 720P DLP RP as a workday display since 2005. This week I upgraded it to a 55" 1080P LED Sharp display which is of much higher PQ and has better packaging. For $600 it's an example of the benefit of waiting for "mature tech" status.

I'm still using a 720P DLP Optoma FP for my 120" real home theater. I plan to put my 4K money there in the future.

I will upgrade to 4K when Lawrence of Arabia is available on 4K media.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I currently own a Samsung UN55F9000 55" UHD TV and I know some out there say how bad the black levels are but the black levels on this tv look very good to me. Especially moving from a 2005 LCD rear projection 720p native HDTV to what I have now. That is not to say that there is not something better and maybe in about 4-5 years I am considering getting a UHD OLED when more companies are making them and the price comes down. No way will I get an LG at this point in time I just do not trust it to last or for the display pannel or power supply not to go out. Besides I really want to see what comes out as far as 4K/UHD laser projectors go. I really want to get a projector and a good size screen so I will most likely focus my available funds on that before an OLED TV. Am finally back to work for a company instead of working through a unreliable temp agency so I will have to wait and see how things pan out financially. I might at some point purchase an LG UHD OLED but I will have to see they go past there issues and for there prices to come down, but I for sure will not be buying there appliances.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
£4k money for nothing in terms of content.

We gotta install microwave ovens Custom kitchen deliveries We gotta move these refrigerators We gotta move these 4k colour TV's That ain't workin'.

The song and lyrics ain't dated and pretty much well speak for themselves with daily consumer products that we buy.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I've had a Sony VPLHW10 projector for a little over 5 years. When it dies I will get a comparatively priced replacement projector. If when that time comes 4K is standard in projectors between the $2K to $3K price range then I will upgrade to 4K. If not, then I guess I will wait until the next need for a replacement.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
andySu said:
£4k money for nothing in terms of content.

We gotta install microwave ovens Custom kitchen deliveries We gotta move these refrigerators We gotta move these 4k colour TV's That ain't workin'.

The song and lyrics ain't dated and pretty much well speak for themselves with daily consumer products that we buy.

True story. Mark Knopfler(lead of Dire Straits) was in an Appliance/electronics store in the early 80's. That is where he heard a conversation between two delivery employees of the store watching MTV in the tv department. Basically just bitching on how they have to work for a living, and rock stars get their money for nothing/chicks for free "That aint working".

Knopfler Then went to his car wrote everything he heard on a piece of paper in his glove box verbatim, and instantly had the lyrics to one of the most famous rock songs of the 80's(and Dire Straits biggest hit).

The irony of it is the two employees probably don't even know it is their words immortalized in the song.

Source-Casey Kasem America top 40.

Dave Thomas_316160

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I haven't been here for ages, in fact needed to login using FB because my original password is long gone. But I've been interested in HT as a hobby since the late 90's. Built a dedicated HT in 2004 and spent big $ (C$13K) to get a 1080i InFocus 7205, even though HD content was scarce at the time.

11 years later and many, many hours of trouble-free HD enjoyment, I have just installed an Epson LS-10000. Not true 4K but I needed a more modern projector for a couple of reasons. I'll be watching mostly 1080P content but it is nice to know that I can watch native 4K when more content is available. Once again, I am on the bleeding edge but I've also likely future-proofed myself for another 10 years. While this was not a cheap piece of kit, knowing that I will own it for many years helps soften the short term financial shock.

Incidentally, STUNNING projector. 4K Netflix content is amazing and the 1080P content is vastly improved over the 1080i, First Gen HD of the InFocus. The Epson is a beast size wise but whisper quiet, bright enough and great blacks, including detail in the blacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks