What's new

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
A thought before I go into the tech review. It's odd that Dan Trachtenberg'sPrey went direct to Hulu, as -

1. It's a good film for what it is;

2. It's beautifully shot in Alberta, Canada, and DP Jeff Cutter uses the turf to advantage.

In the end, it's terrific fodder for those who have a large 4k panel, projection and Atmos, as everything technical works here.

Initially (pre-credit?) I had my doubts, bur then the film opens up and the resolution is magnificent. Atmos creates a huge sound stage.

Unlike the earlier films in the Predator universe, Prey is a prequel, set in 1719 within the Comanche Nation, and lead Amber Midthunder walks away with the film.

If you have the requisite gear enabling you to decode the disc, grab a copy. It's a great ride. If not, there's always Hulu.

Now the important point - the slipcover. It's vibrant, dashing and exciting, leading one to believe that this might be an action adventure of some sort.

The colors are superb, with Ms Midthunder above the title in emerald green war paint, which jumps off the muted background, with a layer of iridescence. This could be another one of those First Edition slipcovers that may be selling for six figures to collectors on eBay. Be forewarned.

It's nice to see the Fox logo being used.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 9

Worth your attention - Yes

Slipcover rating - 6

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

People have told me to watch this film since it came out.
Reading your words…I’ll give it a shot

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I think HTF is the only place where not only it brings to my attention a new movie which is a prequel of a major franchise but also convinces me to watch it.

If I saw this in any other place as a review of another Predator spin off then it would be completely ignored before reading past a few words into any review.

But there seems to be enough praise of this for me to give it a go.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think HTF is the only place where not only it brings to my attention a new movie which is a prequel of a major franchise but also convinces me to watch it.

If I saw this in any other place as a review of another Predator spin off then it would be completely ignored before reading past a few words into any review.

But there seems to be enough praise of this for me to give it a go.
I found it a little over-rated, but it’s the definitely the best of the sequels.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It's a good -- not great -- movie. Better, I think, than any of the PREDATOR sequels, but falls short of the original. The cinematography is premium, the music agreeable, the acting just fine. Amber Midthunder in the lead is pretty gorgeous, and physically adept.

My gripe: In my opinion (Disclaimer), the action scenes are not cut well. As in so many contemporary action films, the editor cuts too quickly using shots that were framed too close, and loses the visual context. My brain is unable to decipher a visual image that only lasts four or five frames. That's subliminal. Makes it seem as though there was not enough coverage available to produce sensible cuts that allow us to know what is happening and to whom at all times. Really talented editors can make chaos understandable, like Lou Lombardo (THE WILD BUNCH), or Jerry Greenberg (THE FRENCH CONNECTION), but they are rare these days. Or dead.

My point: By simply editing together a series of staccato shots showing objects and characters whizzing into and out of view amidst explosions and flying arrows, swinging body parts, splattering blood, etc. you leave at least some of us completely bemused. WTF just happened?

But I like the movie and the commentary.

Cool that a (dubbed) Comanche soundtrack is available, with English subs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's a good -- not great -- movie. Better, I think, than any of the PREDATOR sequels, but falls short of the original. The cinematography is premium, the music agreeable, the acting just fine. Amber Midthunder in the lead is pretty gorgeous, and physically adept.

My gripe: In my opinion (Disclaimer), the action scenes are not cut well. As in so many contemporary action films, the editor cuts too quickly using shots that were framed too close, and loses the visual context. My brain is unable to decipher a visual image that only lasts four or five frames. That's subliminal. Makes it seem as though there was not enough coverage available to produce sensible cuts that allow us to know what is happening and to whom at all times. Really talented editors can make chaos understandable, like Lou Lombardo (THE WILD BUNCH), or Jerry Greenberg (THE FRENCH CONNECTION), but they are rare these days. Or dead.

My point: By simply editing together a series of staccato shots showing objects and characters whizzing into and out of view amidst explosions and flying arrows, swinging body parts, splattering blood, etc. you leave at least some of us completely bemused. WTF just happened?

But I like the movie and the commentary.

The action scenes are edited like they are on a video game for younger audiences than the one that frequents this forum.:)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Sadly, I've heard that the only English subtitles are actually SDH captions that describe sound effects and music cues. There are no pure English subtitles.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The action scenes are edited like they are on a video game for younger audiences than the one that frequents this forum.:)

I agree...but there's still a pretty big handful of us geezers floatin' 'round! And we buy movie tickets/Blu-rays, too!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
As expected, the Best Buy SteelBook listing switched from "Coming Soon" directly to "Sold Out" this morning.

Thought I'd mention...for those who would like to get the SteelBook, Best Buy has apparently gotten more in. They are available on-line at the moment. Not sure about store pickup. It tells me that there's no pickup within 250 miles of my location, but that suggests that it can be picked up at at least some locations.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thought I'd mention...for those who would like to get the SteelBook, Best Buy has apparently gotten more in. They are available on-line at the moment. Not sure about store pickup. It tells me that there's no pickup within 250 miles of my location, but that suggests that it can be picked up at at least some locations.
Saw them Today at my local BB.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Thanks for the heads-up. Regrettably, none available within 250 miles of my location either, so I had to ship it. That means it will most likely be packed in a thin envelope and arrive dented to hell, like the last SteelBook I had shipped from Best Buy, but I decided to chance it.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Thanks for the heads-up. Regrettably, none available within 250 miles of my location either, so I had to ship it. That means it will most likely be packed in a thin envelope and arrive dented to hell, like the last SteelBook I had shipped from Best Buy, but I decided to chance it.

Funny you should say that. Mine came in one of those white plastic envelopes. And, sure enough, the case was dented, though very slightly. Not enough to cause issues opening and closing, like some others have been. Typically, in such cases, I've been able to return it to the local store for a replacement. I can't do that with this one.

This is why I prefer to buy these in-store instead of on-line, and therefore why I'm not happy that BB is getting out of the disc business.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Funny you should say that. Mine came in one of those white plastic envelopes. And, sure enough, the case was dented, though very slightly. Not enough to cause issues opening and closing, like some others have been. Typically, in such cases, I've been able to return it to the local store for a replacement. I can't do that with this one.

This is why I prefer to buy these in-store instead of on-line, and therefore why I'm not happy that BB is getting out of the disc business.

I’m going to guess another retailer will step in and distribute the steelbook exclusives that BB had carried. In the UK, it’s usually Zavvi that has the steelbook that BB had in the US, so maybe the US Zavvi store will get them instead.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Sure enough, the disc arrived today packed in a very thin bubble mailer. Thankfully, the case appears to have survived this time, no thanks to Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks