What's new

GWTW and Wizard of OZ again in 2013 (2 Viewers)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just one point which I think is being missed in this discussion: no one has to buy anything they don't want to. Don't want a new version of Wizard or Wind? Don't buy it. You vote with your wallet. If you are perfectly happy with what you have, great. Personally, my copy of WOO got stolen last year and I have not replaced it yet. Now that I know something new is coming next year, I won't bother picking up the old version if I see it on the shelf.

I did the same thing with the Superman box set which came out last year. Sure, I'd like to have it, but the Superman limited edition DVD tin coupled with Superman Returns on BD is enough for me right now. Guess what...there's a new Superman movie coming out next year and Warner is going to want to promote the dickens out of it. My best guess is better versions of the films are coming. If they don't, I'm still fine with what I have.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Crawford said:
Casablanca will probably get the same type of release too.
That'll make what, THREE blu rays of that title alone in how many years? The last one JUST came out and they already have ANOTHER in the works? I think JM made a great point, these things are planned way far in advance, and when the dips come this close together it's hard not to see some premeditation here. I'm not sayin' they shouldn't upgrade when it makes a difference, but jeez, space them out! I agree with his point about finite overall yearly budgets mean one more redo of Casablanca or OZ or GWTW means something else many of us may want loses its New Blu Debut.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not entirely sure what re-reading the thread will do. T. Carter was using Casablanca as an example of a popular title that could have another re-release (not that it was actually getting another one) while other titles sit on the shelf.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TravisR said:
I'm not entirely sure what re-reading the thread will do. T. Carter was using Casablanca as an example of a popular title that could have another re-release (not that it was actually getting another one) while other titles sit on the shelf.
I was reacting to statement made by a moderator, I didn't make it up, nor edit it, nor claim it was fact.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
This isn't a case of a 1997 dvd release getting a make-over in 2005. We're talking top of the line, restored, Ultimate Collectors' Editions blu rays being redone just 2 YEARS later. WTH?

I know it was said as a joke, but it really would NOT surprise me if they also announced new remasters of Casablanca, Citizen Kane and Meet Me In St. Louis for next year as well. And Singin' in the Rain for 2014.
Anyway, it's not going to change. But I had hoped that there wouldn't be as many double-dips with blu ray. And it seems they'll be MORE than what we had with dvd. And more often.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/60#post_3957504
Wait a second...Casablanca is being remastered again? Huh?
I don't know if it gets remastered again, but it will be released again for that 90th Anniversary celebration because of that film's status in Warner's history.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
NY2LA said:
I was reacting to statement made by a moderator, I didn't make it up, nor edit it, nor claim it was fact.
I know that. I incorrectly thought you were saying that you were using Casablanca as a fictional example of a re-release that would end up taking the slot of a movie that hadn't been released on Blu-ray yet.

My biggest wish in the world of blu-ray is that they could find and restore the shots that were cropped in GWTW. The one that really bugs me is the pullback of Gerald and Scarlett under the tree at Tara. The camera is already tracking back but also pans down due to the 1954 reframing. Hoping for a miracle here!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Ray H /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013#post_3956571
Both GWTW and Wizard of Oz are immaculate on BD and were derived from 8k scans.

The Wizard Of Oz was derived from a 4K film scan, i'm happy enough with the quality of it.

If WB would actually read the 8-page Wizard of Oz proposal I sent them, and not throw it in the trash, they would find a product that I guarantee the public would buy, and be very happy with.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/60#post_3963599
If WB would actually read the 8-page Wizard of Oz proposal I sent them, and not throw it in the trash, they would find a product that I guarantee the public would buy, and be very happy with.
Ok I bite. Would you share any of those ideas?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/60#post_3963630
I'd love to...once I get the other three copies I sent returned with rejection letters...LOL.

Two copies now...one was sent back with a rejection letter and the other was delivered this evening with just the proposal included and no letter. Geez, they could have at least said "Thank You, but..."

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
eric scott richard said:
Reading it. No, actually accepting it, could lead to problems for them legally.
The only way to have it seen might be through someone that you know there. Generally, even that would have to be offered with a letter toward non-liability.
In our litigious world, if they were to accept your proposal, and it included, for example, the suggestion of a featurette about the backdrops used in the film, and they'd already prepared that for the new release, you might claim it as your idea.
Never ends well for either party.
I was once in a situation at a party. At which I was introduced to someone who had written a script that I was requested to read. As it was being placed in my hand, I was told what it was, and quickly removed my hand.
You see where this is going.
RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/60#post_3963791
I was once in a situation at a party. At which I was introduced to someone who had written a script that I was requested to read. As it was being placed in my hand, I was told what it was, and quickly removed my hand.
RAH

Raging Bull 2.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I was going to buy The Wizard of Oz blu ray some time this month - but now, after hearing this news I'm definitely going to wait until the new enhanced version comes out. I can understand the frustration of those who've already shelled out their money on the current release. But it's great news for those of us who haven't gotten around to adding it to our collection. I can't even imagine how this version is going to look!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks