What's new

GWTW and Wizard of OZ again in 2013 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
"The Wizard of OZ" we knew about, but I don't think "Gone with the Wind" had been mentioned, although I'm not surprised. I'm sure WB will release these as 75th Anniversary versions, even though it'll be a year early.
While there are only a relative handful of titles that merit this kind of expensive treatment -- Warner Home Video has indicated it will release new restorations of "The Wizard of Oz'' and "Gone With the Wind'' in 2013 -- there is a trickle-down effect, as new techniques eventually become inexpensive enough to benefit even those Blu-ray titles that don't quite justify A-list treatment.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_jaws_grand_illusion_high_B1IgCcH9TRNzHvd0VubOxN#ixzz22DEOUUGS

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
"New restorations"? Really? I have a hard time imagining that The Wizard of Oz is really going to be re-done.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. I realize these are largely business decisions, but I hope Warner revisits some of their earlier titles such as Goodfellas.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by JohnMor /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013#post_3956235
Unbelievable! How many releases will there be of TWOO and GWTW??!! It is becoming shameful at this point.

I know. These are two of my favorite films of all-time, but I have no interest in buying them again, although if they can find a nitrate print of GWTW with the uncropped shots that were cropped in 1954 and restore them to the film, I'll think about it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by JohnMor /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013#post_3956235
Unbelievable! How many releases will there be of TWOO and GWTW??!! It is becoming shameful at this point.

More than shameful. It's embarrassing. Or should be.

Especially when the last couple of releases of each have been touted, in so many words, as the ultimate in modern-day restoration.

Actually, more than the last couple, if you go back to the laserdisc era. I know those restorations were a whole different story, but, more to the point....

Aren't we there yet???

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Chas in CT said:
More than shameful.  It's embarrassing.  Or should be.
Especially when the last couple of releases of each have been touted, in so many words, as the ultimate in modern-day restoration.
I'm more concerned about the recent re-releases which really could benefit from new transfers but didn't receive them. Goodfellas could look so much better than it does. A Clockwork Orange was the recipient of a new transfer before its recent re-release, but that transfer was only used for clips in the new bonus content, not for the feature, itself.
If WB has genuinely found a way to make The Wizard of Oz look noticeably better on BD, bring it on... it's just really difficult to imagine how that could be possible.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I'm thrilled with my GWTW boxed set- one of the few big boxes O Junk that I love every morsel of. I'm sure the new release will look just fine- but I'm already quite satisfied so I'll just respectfully ignore this next release.
Adventures Of Robn Hood was a WB production wasn't it? I still haven't replaced my HD DVD copy with a BD, but want to- it's still for some reason priced too high. I like the current jacket art and it's already a packed disc- but I could see them kicking another release of that film out (probably with another big box of junk).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]If WB has genuinely found a way to make [/COLOR]The Wizard of Oz[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] look noticeably better on BD, bring it on.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]It is my belief that they have.[/COLOR]

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
And meanwhile, we STILL don't even have DVDs of "The Crowd" "The Big Parade" "The Wind, " or "Greed." And "The Magnificent Ambersons" is available only as an SD bonus disc. Remember the days when "The Jazz Singer" got two whole discs of bonus features? Yeah thems days are gone.
And altogether now:
FUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK! WAAAAARRRRRRNNNNNNEEEEERRRRRRSSSSS.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
All I know is that, like the Bond movies already on Blu-ray, I have bought The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind for the last time. I am completely satisfied with them, and I'll move on to other classics which I'd like to own in high definition.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can understand the anger. I'm not totally defending Warner here.

I just believe something new will be brought to the table to make
it a purchase worth considering for some.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013#post_3956375
All I know is that, like the Bond movies already on Blu-ray, I have bought The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind for the last time. I am completely satisfied with them, and I'll move on to other classics which I'd like to own in high definition.
I'm steering that same boat you are. I do not intend to buy again.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
when did these last come out - two years ago? Sorry, when what we pay our hard-earned money for is touted as the be-all and end-all in transfers, then it better be the be-all and end-all. It makes one wonder if the work done on those transfers was done on older materials and simply spruced up as much as they could. Because why would they have done a new scan for those releases and then do another new scan a couple of years down the line.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I presume the new scan of Oz is something like 8K scans of the three Technicolor negatives, combined using Doctorossi's patented UltraUltraResolution process or some other techgasm to produce an image only somebody viewing on a 250 foot screen would appreciate. Sorry, I'm happy with my 2010 BOC edition.
I'd much much prefer to see time and effort put into other just-as-worthy titles. Maybe even ones that WB made themselves and didn't pick up second-hand from Ted Turner.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
I can see Ron hinting that they have found SOMETHING to get us to buy it again, but I SWEAR... WTF?!?
i don't care if they found a lost menage with Rhett, Prissy, Mammy, Ashley and Bonnie's horse! I PAID enough for THIS box! Whatever the hell they found can wait for another anniversary - but 2 years after a big fuzzy box? - Feh!
I never got stuck in all the OZ minutia - they find an audio outtake where a munchkin sneezes and Judy said "Gezundheit!" and they do another friggin box!
(note: if anyone read any "anger" into that, instead of deliberately comical bemusement, they're reading it wrong)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
I can see Ron hinting that they have found SOMETHING to get us to buy it again, but I SWEAR... WTF?!?

Yes. Exactly. I am trying to curb the anger somewhat here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks