What's new

George Eads and Jorja Fox Fired from CSI (1 Viewer)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Although it pains me to say this, good actors are in the vast minority. Demand is high, supply is low.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Something I haven't seen anyone mention (and I can't find the quotes I read this from), but CBS actually did offer to raise Eads and Fox' salary over $100k per episode. They held out for more and that is why they were summarily fired. While it is usually disappointing to see stars leave shows, I think Law & Order shows that the show can survive and even reach new heights with the influx of new talent.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Just an observation, as I understand it, from the producers' point of view it was probably an option, if the producers still wanted to make the show, they'd pick up the option and the actors would be obliged to make the show, at the salary stated in the contract, but if the show failed and the producers stopped making the show, there'd be no further payoffs and the actors would now be free to sign on for another show (obviously, the regular cast of one TV show cannot be regulars in another show). So I don't think the producers' risk was as big insofar as actors' salaries was concerned.

Just like in movies, e.g. Pierce Brosnan signed a deal giving Eon Productions the right to call upon him for 5 Bond movies, at a presumably already-fixed salary each time, in the meantime he's limited as to what else he can do and when, but if they decline to "pick up" the fifth movie, they don't pay him anything more and he's now free to do whatever he wants. Or for that matter the X-Men cast who, IIRC, mostly signed deals for 3 movies; also IIRC Maguire and Dunst for Spiderman (hence her comment that she'll do one more and move on).

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The latest....

"CSI" Kills Back to Life?

by Joal Ryan
Jul 21, 2004, 4:30 PM PT
E! online

Are CSI's casualties about to return from the dead?

Fellow fired costar George Eads will stage a similar comeback--or so he hopes. Speaking to TV critics in Los Angeles Wednesday, Eads called his dismissal "a big misunderstanding," the Associated Press reported.

CBS had no comment Wednesday.

Fox and Eads were bumped off when CBS got out the Louisville Slugger and played hardball with the reputedly pay-hike-seeking actors.

Fox was let go last Wednesday, it was said, because she had not met a CBS-imposed deadline pledging, in writing, to continue to report for work, ongoing contract hassles or no.

The actress was said to be "mystified" by her firing, Variety said, because she believed she'd sent in her letter in time.

E! News Live sources said the Fox matter was ruled a misunderstanding, clearing the way for her return.

Per various reports, Eads was fired last Thursday either for failing to show up for work or failing to show up to work on time.

While CBS interpreted his tardiness as a negotiating tactic, Eads said it was simply a matter of a missed alarm.

"I overslept...I woke up white as a sheet three-and-a-half hours after I was supposed to be on the set," Eads said, per the Associated Press.

The actor, who played hair and fiber expert Nick Stokes on CSI for the past four seasons, said he has "apologized nine ways to Sunday," but he has yet to directly speak to tough-love CBS chieftain Leslie Moonves.

On Sunday, Moonves told TV critics he had no regrets about whacking Eads and Fox.

"There were certain veiled threats about their not showing up, and there comes a point where we all have to look out for the future of the network television business," Moonves said. "This behavior has to stop."

For now, it's production on the Emmy-nominated CSI that has stopped--at least until its forensics team is in order.

Shooting on the show's fifth season was to have begun last week, but with all the spilled blood, cameras never got rolling.

The network formally began the search for Fox and Eads' replacements Tuesday, the New York Post reported, informing talent agencies it was seeking two actors--one male and one female--in their "late 20s to mid 30s" who projected "sex, edgy and intelligent."

Fox and Eads each were earning $100,000 an episode, or $2.2 million for a TV year's worth of work.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Amazing how the excuses come out of the woodwork when a plan backfires.

Stick to your guns, Les!

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Whether or not stars are overpaid, I can promise you one thing, if I'm getting paid over 100 grand for 10 days of work, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be there each and every day on time if I have to pay a guy 50k a year just to wake my ass up.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While Eads sounds like he's backpedaling like mad, Fox's dismissal is dubious.

It's one thing not to show up for work and get fired. But getting fired for not formally declaring that you'll show up for work? That seems a bit excessive.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I'll be honest, even if they are lying to cover their asses, I would love to see Nick and Sara remain on the show. So let's hope Peterson was right when he said "cooler heads will prevail".

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
At least he didnt say, I couldnt come in because I had an ingrown toenail. Sounds like back pedaling to me.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Well scuttlebutt from multiple sources (including E! News Live) has been saying for the last 24 hours that CBS has agreed that there was a misunderstanding concerning Jorja Fox and she has been rehired/unfired.

Good Luck, George Eads... Looks like you're gonna need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks