1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Futurama Direct to DVD movies

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeff Jacobson, May 31, 2005.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Well-Known Member

2. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

That would be beyond great if it happens[​IMG]

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Well-Known Member

Sam Favate
    Would love to see it happen. Futurama is one of the great underappreciated gems in animation. A handful of DVD movies (which could then be shown as special events on Cartoon Network or elsewhere) would be great.

4. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Well-Known Member

Oh Please! Oh Please! Oh Please!

5. Scott-S

Scott-S Test Subject
    Supporter

Scott Sturdevant
    I would buy them.

6. CaseyL

CaseyL Well-Known Member

I'd be all over that. As a great man of Sci-Fi once (well, okay, more than once) said: "Make it so" *finger point*

7. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Well-Known Member

I'd be quite excited about more Futurama of any form. Hey, if Family Guy can make a comeback, why not Futurama? Although I suppose FG appeals to a much broader audience (which does include myself), I always thought Futurama was the better show on every level. I do think you do need to be abit geeky to really get a number of the jokes, which is probably why is isn't as appreciated by many people.

If they do end up producing new content (and keep the quality up, we don't need trash), I'm sure to be in line for my copy.

-- Dave

PS. Anyone know any other sci-fi comedies out there, other than Futurama and Red Dwarf? And no, Star Trek TOS doesn't count [​IMG]

8. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Well-Known Member

Direct to DVD movies may be the best solution for this show, perhaps even more so than a return as a regular TV series. It would keep the budget high enough for artistic quality and I always thought that a number of the best episodes of the series had enough meat in them that they could sustain a movie's length.

9. TravisR

Running time is my 'fear' about them doing new movies. I hope that they don't feel the need to meet a certain running time. Like if the story works best at 70 minutes, go with that rather than putting in another 15 or 20 minutes to meet a movie length run time.

10. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Well-Known Member

It is BECAUSE "Futurama" is better than "Family Guy" on every level that it will not return to regular, weekly television. "Futurama" employed an A-list cast of actual voice actors, was written by talented writers and featured sophisticated animation. This of course means that the show was expensive to produce. "Family Guy", on the other hand, was mostly voiced by actors with little or no VO experience, was written by washed-up writers of poor 80's family sitcoms (seriously, check it out on IMDB) and horribly animated. "Family Guy" was unfortunately more popular than "Futurama" but not by a wide margin, their success on Cartoon Network and DVD are comparable, it's just that Fox's main concern is the almighty dollar. I wish someone at Fox would have enough faith in "Futurama" to throw some money their way based on the quality of the show itself and not the bottom line.

11. TravisR

Bill, I get the feeling that you don't care for The Family Guy[​IMG]

In all fairness, Fox is a business so I can understand why they're concerned with the bottom line. However, I like the idea of them making Futurama movies more than restarting the series. I think they'd have trouble getting the same high quality if they started the series again. The writers, producers, actors, etc have moved on to other shows and might not be able to participate in another series as easily as they could with a one shot movie. Now if they could get back the same (or close to the same) crew, I'd love to see it return as a series[​IMG]

12. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Well-Known Member

Count me in as not only really wanting this, but hoping it happens and would gladly purchase it. I love the show, I love the DVDs, and I love the commentaries.

13. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Well-Known Member

If direct-to-DVD is the show's future, that's fine by me. Just gimme more Futurama FOX.
    "I thought that Robot Fighting was real, like wrestling. Turns out it's fake, like boxing."

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Well-Known Member

Joseph DeMartino
    There's a radio newscast I hear a couple of times a day, and I can't for the life of me remember if it is network or local. The only reason it catches my attention every day is the newscaster's sign-off, "I'm Aaron Bender"

Whenever I hear that I keep expecting him to continue "...and you can bite my shiny metal ass!"

[​IMG]

More Futurama? Bring it on!

Regards,

Joe

15. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Well-Known Member

Good news everybody! IGN's DVD section just put up news that at least one Futurama direct to DVD movie has been officially greenlit with the option to do one more. Billy West revealed the news at Comic-Con 2005.

16. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Well-Known Member

Christian Preischl
    LOL! Yet another show cancelled by the Fox Networks that lives on in another medium, each one confirming that these people don't know anything about TV programming. If I were in their shoes I'd be majorly embarrassed by now. [​IMG]

I can't wait!

Chris

17. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Well-Known Member

Great news regarding Futurama! I'm ready for all the direct-to-DVD movies they can muster! (I still think that this is what Paramount should be doing with Star Trek these days ...)

Just off the top of my head:
    Galaxy Quest
    Spaceballs (Yeah ... It's a satire ... but it's funny!)
    Ice Pirates

Oh ... If you were talking about TV series:
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Firefly

18. TravisR

Great news!

19. Eric F

Eric F Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be great if it didn't follow the way the last few episodes of the final season did. I did not like the shlocky/soap-opera storyline that was inserted into a show that was supposed to be satire.

20. Shane_M

Shane_M Well-Known Member

Awesome. I love the show. Fry and Bender just crack me up! Can't wait to see some new stuff.