What's new

Futurama Direct to DVD movies (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I echo everyone else's enjoyment of the movie. They really exceeded my expectations.That's exactly what I 'feared' too but I was very happy to see that it was nothing like that. As a matter of fact, I bet they'll be pretty damn confusing if you watch them over the course of four weeks on Comedy Central. :)

And copy and pasted from my post in the Futurama press release thread: There's an unexciting easter egg showing the paper that David Cohen and Ken Keeler used to figure out who was where by the end of the episodes (as mentioned on the commentary). Push 'right' on your remote from any of the choices on the second page of Special Features and Bender will highlight.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Though I really enjoyed the movie, I did think it felt like 4 episodes strung together--to the point where I could see where the episode breaks should be.

I found it to be rather exhausting to watch in this extended form: The plotting was so dense that I actually think it might play better when it's split up, just to give the audience a chance to catch their breath. They used the same pacing, non-stop, for 85 minutes that they normally use to tell an entire story in 22 minutes and for me, at least, it wore me out. It may be the first time I've ever wanted to see a movie broken up with "To Be Continued..." tags.

The makers of "The Simpsons Movie," by comparison, wisely avoided this problem by conceiving and pacing their story as a 90 minute film, rather than as 4 strung together episodes.

I hasten to add that I really enjoyed the movie and am glad Futurama is back but I think this movie is best enjoyed over a couple of sittings.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I also saw this and liked it. At the beginning I thought "this is too sexual" how can they show this on television/kids?!!!! :)

I got a little turned off by all the kissings at the beginning but the story got better and better. :D

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Huh? Did we watch the same movie? I don't remember any "kissings" at the beginning...I suppose there was a lot of nudity but none of it was sexual... Was there an extreme unrated version that I missed? :confused:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you could see where each episode ended but I meant that there was one story for 90 minutes. Look at the awful Family Guy 'movie' where there was pretty much one story for each episode and one thin story (that seemed to be added once they were told to make it a 90 minute movie) so that there would something to run over all four episodes.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Futurama, like The Simpsons before it, was always on the risque side but perhaps I'm so desensitized I don't even notice such things any more... :eek:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Probably a couple of other things as well, but those come to mind. I don't think they'd have gotten away with those on broadcast TV...

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I dunno, Futurama was a Fox series after all so their broadcast standards (talking about quantity not quality) were pretty low to begin with. Futurama got away with plenty in its day (watch the episode where Fry, Zapp Brannigan and Kiff are sentenced to death by SnuSnu for evidence). The Simpsons have had more than their share of "Blue" moments: Check out the "Natural Born Kissers" episode in season 9 where Homer and Marge attempt to spice up their marriage by having sex in public places--and that was 10 seasons ago! Even today, when broadcast standards are supposedly stricter, Family Guy gets away with FAR more offensive material than the entire series runs of Futurama and The Simpsons combined every week.

When Futurama goes to Comedy Central, they will be extremely tame compared to most other shows on the network.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

and South Park gets away with FAR more offensive material than the entire series run of Family Guy.

Comedy Central could potentially allow the "Futurama" crew to go much further than Seth MacFarlane's wildest dreams.

The only concern is that it's still a Fox production airing on Comedy Central whereas "South Park" is produced and aired by Comedy Central. Fox could obviously put their own restrictions on it. Another issue is that it will be aired in prime-time on Comedy Central, though that would still allow for much more freedom than "Family Guy" gets in prime-time on Fox.

But yeah, as a Fox production airing on Comedy Central "Futurama" is pretty much guaranteed the ability to push the envelope further than "Family Guy" but that doesn't mean that they would stoop to that level. They're better than that. "Family Guy" uses so-called "offensive" humor (which, as I said above is tame compared to stuff like "South Park") to hide poor writing, and based on "Bender's Big Score" the "Futurama" writing staff has no need to obscure their writing because it's as good as ever.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

That's still pretty tame compared to the "Roswell That Ends Well" episode where Fry becomes his own grandfather.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

And the Peter Griffin voice ``This is freakin' sweet'' or something to that effect. It was a cute movie, not great, not awesome, but good. Glad to have some new ``Futurama'' and extras were funny.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
The episode "Spanish Fry" was all about penis jokes and there were plenty of other episodes that had nudity and sexual innuendos. I didn't see anything in BBScore that didn't fit right in with the series comedy style.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks