What's new

Frozen 3D Bungle?! (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
FoxyMulder said:
I don't think Disney have a lot of faith in 3D anymore, just look at the latest Tinkerbell feature, the last one was released in 3D but the latest one is strictly 2D. I don't think there are any mastering issues, i think Disney ultimately would love streaming to be the dominant format as it gives them more control over content at lower costs.
Curious how it gives them more control? I will buy no matter physical or digital. If Disney is abandoning 3D then why the new Digital3D moniker for the Frozen release? Im mean why would they bother at all???

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Jason_V said:
I sincerely doubt any studio would mention poor sales or a disappointment in 3D in a press conference. That would be like putting a dagger in the heart of the technology.
When Disneys last video venture " Disney Movies Online" failed in the marketplace the studio heads publically came out and said it was a failure in the marketplace. Why would Disney Bluray 3D be any different? Why wouldnt they mention 3D if asked about sales?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Towergrove said:
When Disneys last video venture " Disney Movies Online" failed in the marketplace the studio heads publically came out and said it was a failure in the marketplace. Why would Disney Bluray 3D be any different? Why wouldnt they mention 3D if asked about sales?
DMO failed because:
A) it hit the market too early, had almost zero demand and confused the audience (iPad apps weren't invented yet, DMO only offered the choice to see movies on desktop or smartphone through a web browser, and nobody yet saw any reason why to), and
B) they were trying to invent their OWN website, and found out the hard way the technical challenges of keeping one up. Looks like the new "gold rush" wasn't that easy after all.

Both problems were solved to current great success with the new resurrection-partnership with Apple & iTunes, and has not one single blessed thing to do with what we're talking about, let alone hard-disk Blu-ray. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Add me to the growing chorus of those who have preordered the UK 3D disc. That's my one and only Frozen order. I've read that Disney and other studios occasionally lurk around here and places like Bill Hunt's Digital Bits site, and I hope they're paying attention to the fact that lots of people who want 3D are going this route. If they do a domestic release in six months or a year, and the numbers are low, I hope it's understood that it's because we already got the disc elsewhere, not that it wasn't wanted in the first place.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
RolandL said:
So, Disney is not releasing this in the US with total population of 318 million, but is releasing it to other countries with less? I guess they must buy more 3D titles than we do. 120 million Mexico064 million UK047 million Spain
Well, not to be nitpicky and not that I can make anything meaningful out of it.FranceItalyGermanyActually most of the EU -- 350-500M depending on whether you counteveryone or the specific countries with individual releasesAustralia 23MKorea 50MTaiwan 23MIndia 1.2BBrazil 200MIf China, japan, and/or Russia release it then obviously the numbers go much bigger if not necessarily net sales profit.It's not even been released theatrically in Japan yet much less a Video release, China is only 5 weeks

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Ejanss said:
DMO failed because:
A) it hit the market too early, had almost zero demand and confused the audience (iPad apps weren't invented yet, DMO only offered the choice to see movies on desktop or smartphone through a web browser, and nobody yet saw any reason why to), and
B) they were trying to invent their OWN website, and found out the hard way the technical challenges of keeping one up. Looks like the new "gold rush" wasn't that easy after all.

Both problems were solved to current great success with the new resurrection-partnership with Apple & iTunes, and has not one single blessed thing to do with what we're talking about, let alone hard-disk Blu-ray. :)
Actually it does as it show that if DIsney has a poor selling format (Like they originally had with DMO and yes they did talk about it doing poorly) or medium they DO in fact mention them during press or Stock calls. This would be no different if they felt that 3DBD was selling poorly they would in fact mention this but they haven't. As many have said here I will wait until I hear about success or failure from the studios before making assessment. ;)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ronald Epstein said:
Apparently, from what I am starting to hear, this may very well be the case.

3D is not selling well here in the States. I have credible fear that we may
be witnessing a huge downward trend in studios releasing 3D here.

However, it seems to be selling well in foreign markets.

Someone brought up in this thread (may have been ahollis) that the studios
may simply just release their 3D product overseas and allow United States
consumers to import it from there.

Don't take this as gospel yet, but this seems to be the talk that is being
whispered around. Again, it's only speculation based upon poor sales
here in the U.S.
If that happens, I'll just be more selective in what I buy on Blu-ray 3D. I have over 60 Blu-ray 3D titles but have only whatched 30. For the titles like Frozen that have the animated short Get a Horse, or lots of pop-out 3D I can buy since I will be watching them multiple times and want the better blu-ray PQ. For other title like Epic that I watched last night, I can wait till they come on Netflix or On Demand HBO and Starz.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Towergrove said:
That article forecasts future sales of 3D TVs. It doesn't discuss growing and thriving 3D content.

Look, I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I'm just explaining MY opinion and linking articles that support it. LOTS of articles. There are hundreds of others.

Yet, I don't find any articles that talk about how 3D content is more popular than ever, how audiences are knocking down the doors to watch 3D movies, or how studios plan to release more movies on 3D than ever. All the articles talk about how everything is going in the other direction.

That said, this will be my last post on the subject. I'm not trying to upset or anger anyone, I'm just posting "the facts" as I see them.

Mark

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
HTTVChannel said:
Here is a link to a story on Stitch Kingdom, pretty much confirming that there is a 3D release coming for the U.S. with more bonus features!

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-frozen-3d-bluray-october-2014-69957/
And let the "See? Their vile plots soon feared the wrath of the mighty fans and crumbled!" fantasy worlds begin... :rolleyes:

If true (and it's mostly a park-rumors site, which are all famous for jumping on rumors early) strike one more blow in favor of the "Disk problems/Missed release-date" theory, with newly pumped-up "We MEANT to put it out in fall!" PR.
Ohh, if I only had money down on this from the beginning...

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Look, I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I'm just explaining MY opinion and linking articles that support it. LOTS of articles. There are hundreds of others.

Yes, I'm sure you could go all the way back to 2010, if you looked hard enough. ;)

But this is now all academic: It WAS a disk problem. They're NOT giving up 3D or hard-disks. Ballgame's over. You lost. Go home. :3dglasses:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If that rumor is right and this will be a Diamon Edition, it means we're getting nothing more than double dips this Fall. Sleeping Beauty and Frozen when things like Tarzan, Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians, Hercules and others are nowhere to be seen stateside.

Also, with all the big, reputable sites with contacts at Disney, it's strange that this one site has "confirmation" 3D is coming this Fall.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Also, with all the big, reputable sites with contacts at Disney, it's strange that this one site has "confirmation" 3D is coming this Fall.
Correct.

This is one site, and to be honest, it still looks like a rumor.

Let's not start acting like a pompous fool by telling people they
"lost" and "to go home" over yet another rumor.

Really, are some people here 4-year olds?

I'm not saying it's not true -- but I do know the studio has remained very,
very silent on this issue.

Why don't we just wait until there is more credible news to be had.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jason_V said:
If that rumor is right and this will be a Diamon Edition, it means we're getting nothing more than double dips this Fall. Sleeping Beauty and Frozen when things like Tarzan, Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians, Hercules and others are nowhere to be seen stateside.

The rumor's wrong only in that it WON'T be a Diamond Edition (when will fans figure out how that works??), but looks like it'll be pretty good nonetheless.

And again, SK's pretty famous for being a rumor site, but then, "Marketing materials" could include retail pre-order date, or retail info for a new sudden timed push of toys/marketing mysteriously coinciding in October for the holidays. Still taking it under advisement given their reputation, but it's starting to fall into place

Let's not start acting like a pompous fool over yet another rumor.
I'm not saying it's not true -- but I do know the studio has remained very,
very silent on this issue.

Yes. LET'S. :)

(And maybe they eventually had an idea of what they were going to say when they had to say it, and not before?)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ejanss,

I have to tell you...

You are becoming the pebble in everyone's shoe here.

What gives you the authority to dictate whether a rumor is definitely true or not?And in the meantime, act like a child and stomp all over other people's opinions?You aren't an insider, as far as I can tell.

You have no clout in the industry.

Unless you come up with some credible credentials I think perhaps you should
take a chill pill for awhile and stop acting this way.

Most appreciated.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
HTTVChannel said:
Here is a link to a story on Stitch Kingdom, pretty much confirming that there is a 3D release coming for the U.S. with more bonus features!http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-frozen-3d-bluray-october-2014-69957/
"Of course, official announcement is months away (and certainly not before March 18), so all of this is speculative to say the least.""Read more: Disney's 'Frozen' 3D Blu-Ray in October, Potentially with More Bonus Features - Disney News by Stitch Kingdom StitchKingdom.com - The #1 unofficial source for news on Disney "

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"LOTS of articles. There are hundreds of others."On the internet? Really? You can make one more, but it doesn't change the fact that 3D is available and supported by the studios.Now what happens 5-10 years from now is another matter. I guess we'll find out. Films like Avatar, Hobbit trilogy, Prometheus, Hugo, Life of Pi, Gravity etc, and several animation titles have kept the 3D going. And Piranha 3DD, of course.But I guess it was never alive in the 1st place. Bummer, another memo that I missed.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
HTTVChannel said:
Here is a link to a story on Stitch Kingdom, pretty much confirming that there is a 3D release coming for the U.S. with more bonus features!

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-frozen-3d-bluray-october-2014-69957/
Now a second site is listing the same October 2014 BD 3D release date.
SUPER SYNERGY: Frozen will have extensive company-wide marketing leading up to the October 2014 3-D DVD/BluRay release. There will be support for Frozen across consumer product divisions, including videogames, electronics, toys, apparel, stationery, and home furnishings.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Often, sites will just pass on other site's info as there own. I'm not saying that this can't be right. Just that I'm going to wait until is hear it from a site I trust to verify information and sources.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Paul Hillenbrand said:
Now a second site is listing the same October 2014 BD 3D release date.
DavidJ said:
Often, sites will just pass on other site's info as there own. I'm not saying that this can't be right. Just that I'm going to wait until is hear it from a site I trust to verify information and sources.
No, SK is a fanboy rumor site where you take everything with a pound of salt, and those are the ones that circle-link their own articles out of wishful thinking; this is a retail listing for a book from Disney merchandising to the buyers, and that's the proverbial horse's mouth you start verifying your info from. Disney's buzzwords to their clients is talking "Super Synergy" for October, and that's what all the other clues are leading up to--"Synergy" with what, other books and toys?

Stitch Kingdom is a Disney-fan parks/merchandise/miscellanea site, but mostly for the Parks: As in the SK article, Disney's already hinting that there'll be the latest "Princess Coronation" event for Anna & Elsa next summer, to usher them into permanent places in the official marketing (which worked well with Rapunzel, since she sort of symbolized the "rebirth" of Lasseter-era Disney musicals, and Iger was stubborn about defending Tiana, but when they did it with Merida, that was pushing it a bit)--That's going to be the signal for a big late-summer/early-fall push for the movie as a "New classic", and even if you don't believe Disney Books' own actual retail listing referring flat-out to "The 3D Blu-ray release in October", there's just a little too much happening IN October for it to be a strange-coincidence choice of words. Maybe THAT'S what they "weren't telling" the common people. ;)
(And yes, the push to make Anna & Elsa princesses #12 &13 is official, as SK "suggests", in fact it's already turned up on Disney's blog--The Epcot Norway character meet is literally attracting longer lines than Space Mountain and Cars Land combined, and after the Coronation event is when the fun starts for the marketing division.)
As long as "no one knew" there were factory problems, there was no need to say "Oopsie, we slipped!"; they simply transformed it into Marketing Wave 2.0, now with new, improved hype and audience draw, in time for the second disk-sales season...As some had been saying all along, the "We meant to do that!" strategy. (Okay, let the "See, see, they planned it all along to make us buy it twice!" paranoia begin, go ahead, get it all out of your system, if that's how you want to spin it...)

And okay, I'll admit it--I thought it was going to be November, and that they were going to "apologize" for it by burying it with two other 3D releases. Well, looks like there's no need for that now. October seems to be the new November for holiday big-ticket disks anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks