What's new

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18! (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I just watched EVERYBODY'S BABY from Fox Cinema Classics. I love the Jones Family series and looking forward to Down On The Farm. The transfer is excellent. Crisp and clear and little to no scratches or dirt. The only draw back is the sound has some hiss to it but not to the point it ruins the film. I mean how can not love a film that Spring Byington is in. What a great actress.I hope that Fox releases the rest of the series. It was their answer to MGM's Hardy family series as was Paramount's Henry Aldrich series, which Universal has yet to release. Are you reading this Universal? Please!!!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Classic Hollywood | Los Angeles Times6 hours ago

Fox Cinema Archives are releasing several more vintage titles on DVD. Just released are the 1939 Sonja Henie comedy "Everything Happens at Night" and the 1934 Oscar-nominated "The Affairs of Cellini" starring Fredric March and Fay Wray.

On tap for July 29 are the 1976 Jack Lemmon comedy "Alex & The Gypsy" and Clara Bow's 1932 "Call Her Savage." Other titles including 1938's "Getaway' (Aug. 5) with Don Ameche. For more information go to the 20th Century Fox Studio Classics Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicHollywoodLAT/photos/a.325229037557486.74836.315575098522880/678294328917620/?type=1&theater

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Finally Alex and the Gypsy!

I understand it's pretty terrible but it is something I have long wanted to see.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
For those curious, Blood and Steel is widescreen but (not surprisingly) non-anamorphic letterboxed.

ValLewton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Renskoff
Call Her Savage- really bad news about this title- according to DVD Savant-

The 20th Century Fox Cinema Archives DVD of Call Her Savage does not appear to be mastered from MoMA's restoration, but is instead from a dupe of a worn film element. Although the show is intact and of reasonable image quality, it is marred by a pattern of light scratch marks printed into the image from beginning to end. Occasional analog tape flaws crop up, suggesting that the transfer was done before digital mastering.

Fox, What is the point of putting this out and not using the best possible source? It's bad enough what you are doing with Cinemascope movies and now this! This was actually a title i was not going to wait for a sale to buy but glad I waited for a review before purchasing.

Highly unlikely but really hope the MoMa restorations of this and Hoopla get the Twilight Time or Criterion treatment.

Big Disappointment about this Pre Code classic.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
MollyandMe.jpg

This is due out on September 30th. There was a very poor release of this in Europe. This should be a better transfer. A 1938 Ritz Brothers comedy with Ethel Merman is also being released on this date: STRAIGHT, PLACE AND SHOW

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Two observations:

- The Ritz Bros. (bless 'em) were maybe the lamest comedy troupe of the olden age

- If a movie were released today called "Molly and Me" it would be about something totally different... ;)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Ethel Merman and the Ritz Bros. in one movie...the mind boggles. :wacko: I don't know if I can handle so much shrillness in one 68-minute movie. (Well, at least it's short.)

Willie Best might offer some saving grace if he has a big enough part. He plays a character named Hannibal. The next time someone complains about a white actor playing Hannibal (as some historians did after Victor Mature played the part in 1960), you can now point them to this movie. ;)

ValLewton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Renskoff
Many Fox Archive titles are on sale at Amazon. Some of the more recent are 14.99. It's better then paying 19.95-now if only they could bring the prices down on the recent Universal vault titles!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just rerecorded today Prince of Players from Fox movie channel. I will buy this movie in any form they give to me. I have only done this with two other titles if they should offer it.

Where the heck is King of the Khyber Rifles which I have recorded but has not been out of the vault for some time. I also want Seven Cities of Gold which is broadcast quite often.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mark Collins said:
Where the heck is King of the Khyber Rifles which I have recorded but has not been out of the vault for some time.
It's in the U. K. Obviously a Region 2 disc, but if you're multi-region . . . .

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Mark Collins said:
I just rerecorded today Prince of Players from Fox movie channel. I will buy this movie in any form they give to me. I have only done this with two other titles if they should offer it.

Where the heck is King of the Khyber Rifles which I have recorded but has not been out of the vault for some time. I also want Seven Cities of Gold which is broadcast quite often.
PRINCE OF PLAYERS? How did it slip by me? I've been trying to record every film with a Bernard Herrmann score from Fox.

Why not a Bernard Herrmann box set or two from Fox?

THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO
WHITE WITCH DOCTOR
BENEATH THE 12-MILE REEF
GARDEN OF EVIL
KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES
PRINCE OF PLAYERS
THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT

or a b&w one:
JANE EYRE
HANGOVER SQUARE
ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM
THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Vic it will be back. Fox will air the movie again several times this month I am sure.

I just bought Frenchmans Creek from Universal Vault series. I did not know it was out. Have not seen this movie in many many years. I thought it was a Fox film for some reason. I wonder how long it has been out and how it will look. I have never purchased from this series before.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I remember liking FRENCHMAN'S CREEK a lot when it used to air on TV back in the day. Beautiful Technicolor and delightful performance by Joan Fontaine. It's based on a historical romance novel by Daphne du Maurier (REBECCA, THE BIRDS). The only problem with it was a rather uncharismatic leading man, Arturo de Cordova, who was cast because all the charismatic swashbuckling leading men were off fighting in the war or entertaining the troops or something related.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Arturo may have been miscast in Frenchman's Creek, but he was a big, charismatic star in Mexico. Superb performance in Bunuel's "El."
And I agree, Frenchman's Creek is a beautiful Technicolor production with a gorgeous Joan Fontaine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks