1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Father Dowling/Matlock?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MTO, Oct 2, 2007.

1. MTO

MTO Active Member

I'm surprised that neither of these Dean Hargrove series have even had a season 1 release. Any one have any leads on if they will ever be put out?

2. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Well-Known Member

Since Diagnosis murder is out on DVD, Father Dowling should be out, too. Tracy Nelson as sister Steve is just great.

3. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Well-Known Member

Father Dowling Mysteries was an underrated series, IMO, and should definitely be out on DVD. I recently saw the opening credits on YouTube and it was great to see again.

I haven't voted for "Father Dowling Mysteries", but I went and did just that. Hopefully if CBS/Paramount releases this, it will come complete and unedited.

4. JeffO

JeffO Well-Known Member

Father Dowling would be a fantastic release. I loved the banter between Sister Steve and Father Dowling. I think this show wouldn't be too expensive to produce for the studios either. I don't remember any music issues, and I think it only lasted for two seasons. Perhaps a bare bones release of just the uncut episodes, and I guess a $29.99 or $34.99 cost would sell a good number of units.

5. ChrisCook

"Father Dowling Mysteries" lasted for three seasons, and you also got the pilot telefilm "Fatal Confession" that premiered in '87.

6. JeffO

JeffO Well-Known Member

Chris, you are correct about Father Dowling lasting three seasons. I looked it up on TV.com, which showed two short seasons and one longer season, for fortysome episodes, which is why I figured two seasons. I'm guessing they would lump the first two seasons together for one release.

7. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Well-Known Member

Henry.
    Here's another vote for a "Father Dowling" DVD release, the show appeals to the same mystery crowd into "Murder, She Wrote", and that's a big seller (for Universal). Besides, Tracy's one hot nun.
    [​IMG]

8. ChrisCook

There's now a sign-up page on Amazon.com for "Father Dowling Mysteries" (though nothing about a forthcoming DVD release).
    Amazon.com: The Father Dowling Mysteries: DVD: Tom Bosley
    Edit: I just went and added Tracy Nelson, James Stephens, and Mary Wickes to the "update product info". I also corrected the name and the year. Hopefully, they'll make these changes shortly.

9. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

Well, four years after the last post in this thread it will finally come!
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Father-Dowling-Mysteries-Season-1/16233

10. Gary OS

Gary OS Well-Known Member

Gary
    Quote:

Yep! This is one I'll definitely be picking up. I've always enjoyed "mysteries" of any nature, and this was one of the few late 80's/early 90's series I really enjoyed.

Gary "hope we get all 3 seasons" O.

11. TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05 Well-Known Member

Nick
    Great News!

This is one of my favourite series of the 80s and I will definitely be picking this up, hopefully its not priced too high since it only contains 7 episodes. I honestly did not think this show would see the light of day on DVD but I guess this proves that anything is possible. Disappointing to see that CBS isn't combining the first two seasons together as they were both short seasons (20 episodes total)- I guess they want to stretch it out and get more $$ out of people.

12. Gary OS

Gary
    Quote:

You're absolutely right about the shortened season issue. This is typical of CBS though. As long as they get all three seasons out I'll be okay with it. Not thrilled, but okay.

Gary "I also never thought we'd see this one" O.

13. JeffO

JeffO Well-Known Member

Wow, I never thought this would be coming out. Definitely a must buy for me.
    I have to say that I went through a lull of now having not much to buy, but in the last 6-12 months, I've been getting a lot of new things....more Bonanza, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, and now Father Dowling.
    Hoping they keep the price under $30 to encourage people to buy it. If they overprice it, I have a feeling that it will be one and done.

14. TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05 Well-Known Member

Nick
    This is my feeling as well, it will be priced too high and thus sales will be low. This is also the reason I was hoping they would combine the first two seasons together. I think it should be under $20, there is no way I am paying more then that for 7 episodes.

I wonder if they are releasing season 1 on its own as a test to see how it sells?!

15. FanCollector

FanCollector Well-Known Member

Lee
    $28.99 MSRP, currently $20.99 at Amazon.

16. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

And S2 is announced for July 10! Nice to see CBS/Paramount fast-track this title out.
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Father-Dowling-Mysteries-Season-2/16819

17. Gary OS

Gary
    Quote:

While I am disappointed in CBS for all but abandoning their b/w material, this is a color series I'm very happy to see them continue. Hope we see S3 by the end of the year to finish it up.

Gary "that last season has a nice little Christmas episode in it so it's something I'd like to see released eventually" O.

18. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Well-Known Member

Richard
    Remember Father Dowling Mysteries being shown on ITV back in the late 80's/early 90's either on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. The first season is getting a Region 2 release on Monday 18th June, but not from Revelation Films (who have released and are releasing some CBS/P shows). Instead it's being released by Acorn Media. Front cover artwork is up on the Amazon UK listing page for the set (a new listing was added to the BBFC's website for the set last Wednesday), with 'Father Dowling Investigates' on the front cover artwork.

19. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Well-Known Member

Matlock complete series is bundled at Amazon for one of their "Deals of the Day" sales at $110.49 here

Gary OS likes this.
  20. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Well-Known Member

Dave
    Thanks for the heads-up, Jeff! I've held off buying the series, waiting for prices to eventually go down. So this bundle deal sounds great. (Even if a complete set is released someday, I'm guessing there won't be any additional remastering or special features, so I may as well get the bundle.)