What's new

Extended warranty for HDTV?? Don't be stupid... (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When I bought my RPTV, the EW was about 30% of the cost of the set (meaning, I got a good deal on the RPTV, but the EW was still expensive in comparison), so I decided against the EW. If the RPTV goes south nowadays, I'm on the hook for the other 70% of the replacement cost, with 3 years use of the RPTV so far, I'm fine with my decision not to get the EW since I ascribe about 5 years of good service fro RPTVs (before tubes start waning, problems manifesting, etc). At 60% use of my RPTV, I'm almost broken even in term of use of set and what I'm on the hook for after not getting the EW, 70% of the cost.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It does still come dawn to the fact it is a good deal if it breaks, and they are a bad deal if it don't sort of thing.

I find it interesting to use the "can't be without our beloved displays for very long" point, as that is why I didn't get one on my display. Because everybody I know that has had to use their extended warranty got seriously dinked around for a longer period of time to get it rectified than I am willing to be without an appropriate display for my needs. In other words I would of given up and purchsed one to replace it anyways.

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,

I would say that an Extended Warranty is not for everyone and every income. For instance, if I had an extra $10,000 disposable income lying around, I would not get an extended warranty. Mainly because I would not need the insurance to repair it since I would have the money to either fix it myself or just buy a new one. I guess the same thing can be said about cars. If I am financing a car because I could not afford to buy it with cash, you bet I would get the Extended Warranty. I know that if something happened to the car, I would not want to be making payements on it while it is inoperable, and at the same time, trying to save extra money for the repair. With the Extended Warranty, the little extra included in the monthly payment is worth avoiding a real financial disaster.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Extended warranties are one of the biggest scam going.

It is a veritable cash cow for for store owners and if you ever need to make a claim you will find out that your insurance contrat is not with the store who sold you the item but with a third party insurance company "GOOD LUCK".

Many credit cards will offer extended warranties for free. It is a much cheaper way to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks