What's new

EXCLUSIVE HTF ANNOUNCEMENT: Twilight Time May/June Releases (You will want to read this!) (2 Viewers)

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
haineshisway said:
Last I looked the cost was $29.98. Postage is postage on ANY release from anywhere. But let's not inflate the actual cost by ten bucks just because it helps you make a point.
THE EGYPTIAN and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND both came out at $40, IIRC. As I said, though, I don't really care if a company charges $40 or $30 for a Blu-Ray, as long they give you ample leeway in deciding when to buy. A year or so doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. Eight weeks is not enough time, and that's how long it took FRIGHT NIGHT to sell out.
A "scant" three thousand, eh? Funny, then, that only ONE of all of their titles has actually sold anywhere near 3000. Not so "scant" in my book.
How are customers supposed to know what will sell out and what won't? The fact that one title has sold out shows that it is possible that JOURNEY or THE BIG HEAT or anything else they release could also sell out. The possibility of a sell-out seems much more likely now that they're selling some titles for under $30. Again, I don't see why they simply don't offer these titles as BD-Rs on demand. People are paying nearly $30 for some Warner Archive DVD-Rs, so surely they would be willing to pay that much for a BD-R. I can't see any reason Sony would object to the use of BD-Rs, and TT would almost certainly be able to sell more copies, as they could almost certainly offer these titles for a lower price.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
BD-Rs are FAR less reliable than DVD-Rs right now as a consumer product for home video releases. A large percentage of main stream BD players can't play them if they have AACS copy protection - including the PS3.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
At least the Sony title this month is matching the Fox $29.95 price for once. Hopeful this is a continuing trend.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Eh never mind not important anyway.
I'm glad I was able to get in when I did and get an autographed copy. Also it looks like the site is down again.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
MichaelEl said:
THE EGYPTIAN and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND both came out at $40, IIRC. As I said, though, I don't really care if a company charges $40 or $30 for a Blu-Ray, as long they give you ample leeway in deciding when to buy. A year or so doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. Eight weeks is not enough time, and that's how long it took FRIGHT NIGHT to sell out.
How are customers supposed to know what will sell out and what won't? The fact that one title has sold out shows that it is possible that JOURNEY or THE BIG HEAT or anything else they release could also sell out. The possibility of a sell-out seems much more likely now that they're selling some titles for under $30. Again, I don't see why they simply don't offer these titles as BD-Rs on demand. People are paying nearly $30 for some Warner Archive DVD-Rs, so surely they would be willing to pay that much for a BD-R. I can't see any reason Sony would object to the use of BD-Rs, and TT would almost certainly be able to sell more copies, as they could almost certainly offer these titles for a lower price.
The information that will answer your questions is available in many threads on many boards, including this one. Their business model is very simple and while you can wish it were otherwise it isn't and can't be. The two titles you reference as costing forty dollars, cost 34.98. I don't recall any Twilight Time title going for forty dollars. And they seem to have locked into the 29.98 price, so there's really no point in saying they're forty bucks when they're not. That was my only point in terms of price.
If Mysterious Island has not sold out after six months, I can't see why Journey would sell out any faster. Fright Night, the label's ONLY sellout (and only after eight weeks) had the cache of being a title of the 1980s and the people who grew up then are like no other generation in history and these films ARE their childhood - hence, the ultimate sellout. It's funny that there's all this panic trying to be created, but the reality is very different - no title except Fright Night is in any danger of selling out any time soon. Therefore, 3,000 units is going to suffice for most of these titles. I, for one, don't want a BD-R. And I can't imagine many who would. Nor would they sell even what they're selling if they weren't limited. That is the entire point of this venture. The studios don't release these titles because if they did to usual distribution channels, they would be faced with far less sales, returns, and the ultimate loss leader dumping to the five-dollar bin.
But the folks on various boards who keep going on about this simply don't want to understand the point of all this. They come up with a hundred different scenarios that are meaningless, because this is what is happening. So, the only point of relevance is to buy or not to buy. All points have been made from all sides. As I said on another board, it's like the Bacharach/David song from Lost Horizon:
The world is a circle without a beginning and nobody knows where it really ends. :)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/318832/exclusive-htf-announcement-twilight-time-may-june-releases-you-will-want-to-read-this/180#post_3916326
The information that will answer your questions is available in many threads on many boards, including this one. Their business model is very simple and while you can wish it were otherwise it isn't and can't be. The two titles you reference as costing forty dollars, cost 34.98. I don't recall any Twilight Time title going for forty dollars. And they seem to have locked into the 29.98 price, so there's really no point in saying they're forty bucks when they're not. That was my only point in terms of price.
Emphasis above is mine.

The Egyptian was $40. Since that was TT's first Blu, people seem to have that price point stuck in their heads. But you're correct, subsequent titles have been lower.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
This is absolutely awful.....I have been trying to checkout.....for over 3 HOURS.......after 20 minutes...it says the server is not available. Twilight Time did tell me that it is Screen Archives server issue. Once again...a few minutes ago...knocked off for the fourth time!!!! I have been a loyal customer to Screen Archives for many years.....tonight has changed everything!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
kagemusha98 said:
This is absolutely awful.....I have been trying to checkout.....for over 3 HOURS.......after 20 minutes...it says the server is not available. Twilight Time did tell me that it is Screen Archives server issue. Once again...a few minutes ago...knocked off for the fourth time!!!! I have been a loyal customer to Screen Archives for many years.....tonight has changed everything!
I lost track of time, but I am slowly progressing past the screens...had to change the credit card number, am currently stuck there. But I am this close to pushing the "purchase" button...maybe in the next half hour or so.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I have been trying since 4pm EST. I almost was there once but now I cannot get in again. I am still trying to get there..
I have purchased most of their Blu-rays to date and have defended them on this board. Journey, however, was not thought out. They did a great job of the publicity but the execution is terrible. If you are going to create huge demand, be prepared to meet it.
We don't know what this says about whether Fox misjudged this title's potential. My belief is that Fox has overall been doing a very bad job on their exclusives. People on the boards are trying very very hard to get their hands on some of the exclusives.
We will see what the fallout from this will be, but I have the feeling that there will be quite a bit in many quarters, including my own purchasing.
Not impressed.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I agree..I am VERY angry with Screen Archives handling of this and Fox's ignorance of their classics on Blu Ray! Yup I am still waiting!!!!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ironically, there's a clickable banner ad for the sold out Fright Night Blu-ray in the upper right-hand corner of the page I'm currently stuck on:

47783e30_Capture.jpeg

Really guys? That title has been unavailable for a long time. Think maybe you could update your site?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
dpippel said:
Think maybe you could update your site?
Maybe they can't get anywhere in it either...
I updated the CC and pressed "make changes" and here I sit...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/318832/exclusive-htf-announcement-twilight-time-may-june-releases-you-will-want-to-read-this/210#post_3916342
Maybe they can't get anywhere in it either...
I updated the CC and pressed "make changes" and here I sit...
Fright Night sold out months ago. That ad should have been removed once it did.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm just hoping after all this trouble that my "confirm order" goes through. I ordered Journey and the John Williams soundtrack to Black Sunday.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Finally got in and there is a notice that autographed copies are SOLD OUT! What a fiasco that was.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I made a comment in this thread 3 hours ago that the autograph was sold out.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
3 hours and 32 minutes later my order went through....but I lost the autographed copy...oh well..maybe Debby Boone will sign it:). Screen Archives...don't ever do this again....be prepared...Up until now you've been great to order from your website. Tonight you you've tarnished your reputation in a big way!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks