What's new

EXCLUSIVE HTF ANNOUNCEMENT: Twilight Time May/June Releases (You will want to read this!) (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Nuts! It was taken out of my cart before my order was completed. Oh well...

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
GMpasqua said:
Marketing catalog titles at the $15 - $20 dollar price range seems to be the best price point. Over $25 and you're starting to push it - esp if there are no extras. But when pricing under $15 and you are cheapening the product and the film.
Criterion titles are great - they come out at $40 but twice a year you wait and get them for $20 at B&N. But you know you're buying a $40 disc.
I don't mind paying $40 for a Blu-Ray of a title I really want, as long as I can decide when to buy it. TT is charging $40 for a Blu-Ray AND limiting the number of copies to a scant 3000. This is nothing less than extortion, if you ask me. Even the much-maligned Disney gives collectors a year or even longer to buy their limited edition Blu-Rays, and they manufacture so many copies that these titles can still be purchased for years after they're officially pulled from the market (albeit at slightly inflated prices). The argument that TT is a small company and can't afford huge runs of pressed discs doesn't wash, as they could easily sell these titles as BD-Rs on demand.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by MichaelEl /t/318832/exclusive-htf-announcement-twilight-time-may-june-releases-you-will-want-to-read-this/180#post_3916283
I don't mind paying $40 for a Blu-Ray of a title I really want, as long as I can decide when to buy it. TT is charging $40 for a Blu-Ray AND limiting the number of copies to a scant 3000. This is nothing less than extortion, if you ask me. Even the much-maligned Disney gives collectors a year or even longer to buy their limited edition Blu-Rays, and they manufacture so many copies that these titles can still be purchased for years after they're officially pulled from the market (albeit at slightly inflated prices). The argument that TT is a small company and can't afford huge runs of pressed discs doesn't wash, as they could easily sell these titles as BD-Rs on demand.

The difference being that Twilight is licensing the titles from Fox/Sony and are not the outright owners like Disney. Fox/Sony may not license the same titles if they weren't limited to 3000 copies and a 3-year window.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Brandon Conway said:
Fright Night took weeks after its release to sell out, IIRC.
EDIT: Though if one wants a signed copy those will go fast, so yeah, I can see some frustration there.
Fright Night took EIGHT WEEKS to sell out, to be precise. Watching people panic is never pretty :) Mysterious Island is still not sold out. I see no evidence that Journey will be anywhere near a quick sellout - that is not the history of this. Nor will The Big Heat be an instant sellout - both will do fine but I have no doubt will be around for at least a couple of months.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/318832/exclusive-htf-announcement-twilight-time-may-june-releases-you-will-want-to-read-this/150#post_3916268
I don't see the statement as that big of deal. They have no ability to correct the problem, and they say please understand that, and they give an apt comparison.

People are WAY too sensitive these days.
All they had to say was that their website is experiencing capacity problems beyond their control, and to please be patient. Sorry for the inconvenience. Nothing more. Instead their customers got a whiny little rant about why they shouldn't be complaining. Please.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
MichaelEl said:
Last I looked the cost was $29.98. Postage is postage on ANY release from anywhere. But let's not inflate the actual cost by ten bucks just because it helps you make a point. A "scant" three thousand, eh? Funny, then, that only ONE of all of their titles has actually sold anywhere near 3000. Not so "scant" in my book.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Finally got a copy of Journey. Gained access to the SAE website at 5:17pm. With all the lag time, my order was finally processed at 5:39pm. So much for high speed technology. :D:D

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
TonyD said:
Autograph is sold out.
I lucked out, checked to confirm that my autographed copy didn't get "taken out of my cart". I will get my autographed copy according to the site. :banana:

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Completed my order as well.
While it was a bit distressing to see my signed copy snatched from the cusp of purchase, I'm sure I still got the magnet. And in the end, isn't that the better incentive? ;)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
JoHud said:
Completed my order as well.
While it was a bit distressing to see my signed copy snatched from the cusp of purchase, I'm sure I still got the magnet. And in the end, isn't that the better incentive? ;)
Y'now, that's a good point. :D Too bad that cover art is so damned ugly. Quite a letdown after the gorgeous Mysterious Island.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
TonyD said:
What Magnet?
The product page indicated that the first 2,000 will include a magnet with each purchase. Not sure if it is both Journey to the Center of the Earth and The Big Heat but last month's preorders both included them.
Though I agree that Journey's art leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I can't get on the web site to check, but who autographed Journey? There's no way I'm buying, because I hate lizards being passed off as dinosaurs and I hate TT pricing, but I'm still curious.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Johnny Angell said:
I can't get on the web site to check, but who autographed Journey? There's no way I'm buying, because I hate lizards being passed off as dinosaurs and I hate TT pricing, but I'm still curious.
Pat Boone

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/318832/exclusive-htf-announcement-twilight-time-may-june-releases-you-will-want-to-read-this/180#post_3916308
It seems that the SAE site has crashed. I did not know that Pat Boone was so popular.
It's not Pat that's so popular, it's Gertrude.

I've got items in my cart and have been trying to log into my account for over 30 minutes now so I can check out. No dice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks