What's new

Blu-ray Review Enter the Dragon: 40th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
the price is really high for this when you compare it to Shouts 7 DVD/4 Bluray Legacy collection is $90 at the moment on Amazon.com.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
So, do others have opinions on the contrast for this disc? It looks a bit much, but is it accurate? I found it a bit distracting, which is unusual for me. If it's the way it's supposed to be, fine, but I was a bit thrown off.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Holy thread revival Batman! Just bringing this up because my ETD BD has died. I'm fearing the old "DVD rot" syndrome, because I've only played it a couple of times, but with the ESPN doc on Bruce Lee coming up I thought I'd give it a spin. Both my Oppo 203 and my Sony X800 players "do not recognize" the disc now. The Sony postulated "this disc may not be finalized" which I've never seen before.

Just fired off an email to WB, let's see if they are willing to help me out. Visually it looks to be in near-perfect condition, so it's not scratched, scuffed, or otherwise physically damaged in any way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Holy thread revival Batman! Just bringing this up because my ETD BD has died. I'm fearing the old "DVD rot" syndrome, because I've only played it a couple of times, but with the ESPN doc on Bruce Lee coming up I thought I'd give it a spin. Both my Oppo 203 and my Sony X800 players "do not recognize" the disc now. The Sony postulated "this disc may not be finalized" which I've never seen before.

Just fired off an email to WB, let's see if they are willing to help me out. Visually it looks to be in near-perfect condition, so it's not scratched, scuffed, or otherwise physically damaged in any way.
I played my 06-15-10 BD release without any issues. I then played 06-11-13 UK BD release without any issues either. I'm now in the middle of watching the documentary "Curse of the Dragon". I forgot that Steve McQueen and James Coburn were pallbearers at his funeral in Seattle.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
To be fair, I just looked at my cover. This is the 2007 version. Not that it’s an excuse, I would hope discs last longer than 13 years. But that was not long after the release of blu ray so maybe the pressing plants didn’t have their QC totally ironed out.

I’m tempted to spring for the 40th anniversary version but that’s like $50 right now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To be fair, I just looked at my cover. This is the 2007 version. Not that it’s an excuse, I would hope discs last longer than 13 years. But that was not long after the release of blu ray so maybe the pressing plants didn’t have their QC totally ironed out.

I’m tempted to spring for the 40th anniversary version but that’s like $50 right now.
Hell, I didn't even realize there was a 2007 BD release. I bought the 40th Anniversary version during an Amazon UK sale as I acquired it more than six months after it's release in 2013.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
91kXey7sltL._SX466_.jpg

This is my defective one. Since I fired off an email I don’t want to buy the exact version again in case WB offers to replace it.

The 40th is tempting because it may be a better transfer and it also comes with some goodies. But not sure if it’s $50 worth of goodies...

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thank you both! Definitely going to wait for Criterion!

Now if only they could work their magic on A Better Tomorrow, The Killer and Hard Boiled. I miss the John Woo/Chow Yun-Fat early days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks