What's new

Ellery Queen (Hutton) now on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Already done in my case, and TV Shows On DVD should also be notified so they can also pass on the word to them too based on their contacts with them.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Here's an equally disconcerting thought to the idea that the pilot may not be there. Assuming the pilot is in the set and the running time is correct, that would mean the running time for each episode would only be 46.5 minutes. And that is way too short for a series from the mid-70s by at least 2-3 minutes.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by Jack P

Here's an equally disconcerting thought to the idea that the pilot may not be there. Assuming the pilot is in the set and the running time is correct, that would mean the running time for each episode would only be 46.5 minutes. And that is way too short for a series from the mid-70s by at least 2-3 minutes.
Just to inject an optimistic note...the uncut episodes (including credits and "Match wits with Ellery Queen...") run about 48:30 each, give or take a few seconds. Multiplying that by 22 gets you far short of 1117 minutes. However, if you mistakenly count the double-length pilot as a single episode, 1117 divided by 23 equals 48.56. I am hoping that the minute count is just reflective of an error like that.

MadmanTV

Grip
Real Name
Grant
My question was directed to MadmanTV about what part of the world he is from.
From Australia. Ellery Queen is one of my all time favourites, hence the desire to get it out and do the best we can. The E1 U.S. release timing is pure coincidence. You have no idea the issues in getting materials for this series, from imagery to masters, which demonstrates why it’s taken 2 years to get this together. Although our release is for the Aus/NZ territory, it’s great there are many of us Ellery Queen fans still about – hopefully down here too! Cheers

mark-edk

Second Unit
My own copy of "Too Many Suspects" does have the "Match Wits" openining. It's from a mid-1980s late night showing on WABC and they were using a 16mm print in those days.
When the pilot was first shown it was titled "Ellery Queen". The "Too Many Suspects" name was given to it when it went out into rerun/syndication land. While it was a long time ago I'm pretty sure that the original network showing of the pilot did not have a "Match wits" opening. That began with the first episode of the series proper.

BTW it wasn't just the "match wits" opening that was cut from A&E showings. Several minutes were trimmed from each episode as well. The Mystery Channel showings were the first time the series was shown in its uncut form since the original NBC airings.

There is more information on the series including an episode guide here:
elleryqueen.us

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by mark-edk

When the pilot was first shown it was titled "Ellery Queen". The "Too Many Suspects" name was given to it when it went out into rerun/syndication land. While it was a long time ago I'm pretty sure that the original network showing of the pilot did not have a "Match wits" opening. That began with the first episode of the series proper.
It was on the original pilot episode. I remember it very clearly when it aired in April 1975. It had the "match wits" open, then the NBC Mystery Movie open and then to a commercial break. I tape recorded the pilot when it repeated in September and played it over and over again. I can still quote that opening verbatim. "In just a few moments this woman will be dead. Who killed her? Was the father? The mother? The son? . . ."

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Exactly, the "match wits" opening was there and even puts Simon Brimmer among the suspects, which of course never happened in any of his other appearances. Did it really air as part of the "Mystery Movie" with the Mancini theme? That would have surely necessitated an altering of it for that one occasion. (Of course the sad thing is how the Mystery Movie open is forever shorn from all the programs that were part of it).

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

Exactly, the "match wits" opening was there and even puts Simon Brimmer among the suspects, which of course never happened in any of his other appearances. Did it really air as part of the "Mystery Movie" with the Mancini theme? That would have surely necessitated an altering of it for that one occasion. (Of course the sad thing is how the Mystery Movie open is forever shorn from all the programs that were part of it).
The Mystery Movie opening showed Columbo, McMillan and Wife, McCloud and Hec Ramsey as usual, but then the announcer came on and said, "Tonight a special NBC Mystery Movie with Jim Hutton as Ellery Queen." The voiceover was the only adjustment made to the open.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Yes now that you quote the pilot's 'match wits' opening, I suddenly remember it again! ;) Thanks for jogging the little gray cells.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth

The Mystery Movie opening showed Columbo, McMillan and Wife, McCloud and Hec Ramsey as usual, but then the announcer came on and said, "Tonight a special NBC Mystery Movie with Jim Hutton as Ellery Queen." The voiceover was the only adjustment made to the open.
Was Hec Ramsey still the "fourth wheel" at that point? I only thought that was on from 72-74 and that 74-75 was the year they tried the "Amy Prentiss" experiment with Jessica Walter.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

Was Hec Ramsey still the "fourth wheel" at that point? I only thought that was on from 72-74 and that 74-75 was the year they tried the "Amy Prentiss" experiment with Jessica Walter.
You could be right. I remember distinctly the Mystery Movie opening with the guy with the flashlight. I was also hoping that Ellery Queen would have become the fourth show in rotation with Columbo, McMillan and Wife and McCloud. I thought it would have made an excellent show in the two hour mystery movie format.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth

You could be right. I remember distinctly the Mystery Movie opening with the guy with the flashlight.

Boy, I loved that opening. I'd sure like to have seen one of the many Columbo dvds offer that opening as an "extra" somewhere in the set.

Gary "still hoping Neil's source is right on about Hec Ramsey - I want that series badly" O.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

Boy, I loved that opening. I'd sure like to have seen one of the many Columbo dvds offer that opening as an "extra" somewhere in the set.

Gary "still hoping Neil's source is right on about Hec Ramsey - I want that series badly" O.
Here's a YouTube link to the open, with Hec Ramsey to boot:

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Guys, has E1 said anything as to whether or not the pilot will be on the DVD or not? And have they been notified about the pilot by now?

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

Guys, has E1 said anything as to whether or not the pilot will be on the DVD or not? And have they been notified about the pilot by now?
I have sent them three letters via e-mail about the pilot film and there has been no response. There is something posted on their website about Ellery Queen coming out in September and that it is the 1975 show. There is no box cover art yet, either. My guess is that they are still getting the DVD's ready and we will have more details by the start of June.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I did likewise, and I sent a message to tvshowsondvd.com etc. asking them to look into it. Nothing so far but I wish we'd get it cleared up once and for all.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
E1 has pushed back the release date to September 21 which hopefully is a sign they're making sure this is going to be truly complete! (pilot film and uncut episodes).

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
The package art looks good and E1 has said that the pilot film will be included in the release. I can't wait for September!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Crikey, was about to go with the Aussie release but E1 has the subtitles so R1 it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks