What's new

Eastbound and Down - Season 4 (HBO) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Look at you -- sittin' over there, lookin' like the Black Destro."

Great episode last night. Possibly the best Eastbound since Kenny found his pitch...and took a motherfucker's eye out.

I think my favorite moments of Eastbound and Down have always been when Kenny just lays waste to those around him, and you experience him succeeding in all his majesty. The takedown of Dontel Benjamin was freaking awesome. When Kenny Powers wins, there is no "place" or "show," dawg.

My one caveat on this episode: I hope the show isn't going to keep rehashing the Reg Mackworthy-scenario by subbing in new assholes to humiliate Kenny and give him ammo to come back and annihilate them. The Dontel-scene was getting close to that; I hope they don't rely on that ready satisfaction for the rest of the series.

More awesomeness:

“It was in the subtext. You basically did tell me to quit my job.”

"Why have you cometh to me?" Great line.

"If we do this, it's gonna take a ton of Blood, Sugar, Sex [and] Magik."

4 Mexican kids = 2 white kids

Classic episode.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Stevie is so cringe-inducing. Not sure who's the better cringe-inducer, Stevie, or Stephen Merchant's character on "Hello Ladies".

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Buy shirts that aren't fuckin' plum-colored."

“The bell is for symbolisms.”

"Only thing that would make me happy was if all those kids had AIDS."

Stevie's lines about George Washington...I was on the floor laughing. (Also, when is the NFL finally going to officially sponsor the Save The Limp Dick Foundation?)

I think that Kenny cradling Yul the Robot is an example of a perfect visual gag: it comes out of nowhere, and it asks the viewer to question: why Kenny is cradling a robot? Oh, Kenny has clearly formed a bizarre relationship with this inanimate object that is tantamount to a father and a newborn child.

Absolutely brilliant. I loved how the robot was with him when he was trying to get Toby to feed the wolf.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"You got them Paul Walker eyes!"Kenny's fall is going to be nuclear.

He should listen to Stevie, whose blue eyes remind me of the Sandworm People in Dune.

Kenny doesn't seem to be able to handle success. Which is a problem, because he doesn't seem to be able to handle failure, either. His greatness seems to manifest itself entirely in the ride, the build-up to the spectacular flame-out. This keeps him in a perpetual state of rebuilding.

We all knew this was coming. Kenny flew to close to the sun in his jetpack.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Sauce Rack," indeed. Also: - Kenny Powers with opera-glasses. - “How did Leonardo DiCaprio figure out about gravity?” Stevie's outfits were the real winners last night. Looks like Stevie goes to the same shop where The League's André buys his "clothes." We can all agree that Yul Brynner is the breakout star of this season, right? That little motherfucker needs his own spinoff, pronto. ("Go about your journeys, Yul.") Even if you absolutely hate this show, it's worth watching for those closing monologues alone. They've always been great, but they've become positively epic this year. But it's too bad there are people who won't watch this series because they think it's all dudebro humor and brofisting.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Definitely enjoying this season more than last. Although I do have to wonder where all of Kenny's money is coming from...he can't be making THAT much being a co-host of a cable sports show and not even being the lead.

Why does it not surprise me one bit that according to the previews for next week...

There will be a "Jet-pack Duel" between Kenny and Guy.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"DOES IT FIT?? DO I LOOK GOOD??"

Thought the Observe and Report-twins were gonna do something during Kenny's Sesh Christmas-show meltdown. Dammit.

That was incredible. I crack up every time Kenny and Stevie say "FEEXINS."

If I had one complaint, it's that I wish they'd spent a little more time on Kenny alienating everyone. They didn't need to have him becoming the über-dick and finding redemption all in the same episode.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Kenny's Christmas special in the previous episode felt so Ali G, I'm wondering now if any of it was actually Baron Cohen's idea. "Fucking duck's clit!" (The powerdouche loafers-without-socks-look was a particularly inspired touch).

That closing montage is right up there with Six Feet Under and The Wire's final montages for me. Part me wished the credits had come up after Kenny read the final lines, but I understand that ending the show with April's demise was too dark even for this show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, during the final minutes I was thinking "Man, they are making sure that this is the end" and I was fairly happy with that but I'm glad that they took it back because April being murdered is too dark.

Everything with Kenny in Africa- from the rocket bike to his new wife- was genius.

Alexander Skarsgard as the adult version of Kenny's son was a hilarious idea.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Not sure how I felt about that ending. I think I would have preferred the book ending to be the actual ending.

It was pretty funny that they had a retarded guy playing Steve.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Just finished watching Eastbound & Down S04. Wow - extremely funny season, and possibly the funniest in the entire series.

Some of my favorite sequences:

Kenny's daughter talking about seeing the horrific, sickening film The Human Centipede with Kenny, who was 100% OK with having his small child see this truly vile film - ha ha.

Stevie spending a huge amount of money to get a new chin, which looked awful - hllarious.

The entire ending montage - though it was shown to be fictitious at the end of the film, it would have been more interesting to have ended the film this way - though I agree April's death @ the hands of street criminals would have been too dark for this show.

"Why are you taking me on the set of City of God?"

Holy shit, what a reference for this show.

Yes, this was a great reference - especially since it's surprising that Powers had even seen COG, an extremely disturbing, documentary-style film about street kids living in the violent ghettos of Brazil.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks