What's new

Blu-ray Review Eastbound and Down Season 3 Blu-Ray Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Writer/Director Jody Hill is one of those talents that inspires a real passion.. you either love or hate him. Hill’s writing style is either seen as wildly funny or just crass, but I’ve never seen anyone who has given a “take it or leave it” attitude.

Season 3 of Eastbound and Down kicks off with Kenny Powers (Danny McBride) right where he left off at the end of Season 2- he’s now made it on a small-market minor league club, the Myrtle Beach Mermen, and he’s enjoying his stroke of good luck. While he bums around town and has his way with young college girls, he stays in full denial of the child from the love of his life April (Katy Mixon). It doesn’t take long for April to realize that Kenny is never going to be there, and after a night of passion she runs off and leaves him with the child.

1b1bf595_Eastbound.jpeg

Eastbound And Down Season 3

2 Disc Bluray Set

1080P Video in MPEG-4 @ AWBR 36Mbps

DTS-MA 5.1 Audio

There are some real highlights here.. Jason Sudeikis as his best friend Shane, and then Shane’s twin brother; a raised truck that has Lambroghini style swing doors, keeping a child in a rucksack full of lettuce and other leaves; Will Ferrell as a criminal car dealer who uses an old cannon with a Wyle E Coyote style fuse to attack people.. Lily Tomlin as Power’s mother.. but for all the zany nature of the season, I was most reminded of an older era of HBO, when shows like "Dream On" filled the airwaves. I think that because Eastbound and Down reminds me a lot of the kind of show that people first thought of with pay cable - dirty jokes, off and on nudity, and a zany storyline. It doesn't always work, but when successful it can be quite humorous... or offensive, depending on your point of view.

c059f9c1_Eastbound-Lily.png

If you enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2, Season 3 resolves a lot of the plotlines quite well and has some good laughs. A lot of people who just want to peer in on this show may be turned off by the scripting style, so this is a real “acquired” taste.

Video Quality 4.5 / 5

Recorded in MPEG4 @ an AWBR of 36Mbps, this is a really high bit rate encode that looks very good. The blacks are dark and deep and the overall picture quality is quite good. This has the feel of being shot on HD Video, and as a result it has a really smooth/gloss look to it that I find fairly pleasing. But you definitely won’t be let down, HBO seems to do a great job of keeping up their PQ

bf5addef_Eastbound-Mermen.png

Audio Quality 4.5/5

The audio is crisp and clean, dialog is easy to understand and stays centered which makes for a good presentation of a simple comedy. There is nothing exceptional here, but it does it’s job quite well.

cb942573_Eastbound-Ferrell.png

Extras 1/5

This set is incredibly thin on the extras. There is a 5:50 extended scene “Dinner with the Schaeffers” , 8:58 blooper real, and… that’s pretty much it. There are flashback looks at Season 1 and 2. But while I praised HBO for all the extras on their set of “Girls” the extras here are very minimal and there isn’t reall that much here.

In Conclusion: 3/5

This is the kind of set that really only attract people who are already real fans of the program. The presentation is good, the audio and video are both good, but there is nothing to really stand out about this set. The blooper real alone doesn’t quite make for a reason to buy a season set, and a single cut scene also doesn’t really add value. But if you are a fan of the show who just wants the episodes, the low price may offset the thin nature of the set.

0c60a55f_Eastbound-Kenny-and-Baby.png

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Will Ferrell as a criminal car dealer who uses an old cannon with a Wyle E Coyote style fuse to attack people..
The sequence at Schaeffer plantation is one of the craziest and funniest things I've ever seen. I'm not even that big of a fan of Will Ferrell but I gotta give it up to the guy for his work in that episode.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60 /t/326001/eastbound-and-down-season-3-blu-ray-review#post_4013306
The release also has audio commentary.

You are correct, my apologies for not noting the audio commentary.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I'm making my way through Eastbound and Down, and recently finished S03. Wow - this was incredibly funny. I would even have to say it was funnier than S01 -and that was a great season as well.

I liked the Myrtle Beach, SC setting. I've gone there several times over the years on vacation, and they really captured that area well re: the beach, amusement parks, tourists, Bike Week, etc.

Some favorite sequences:

-When Powers was talking to his 1-year old baby son as if his son could understand/comprehend him - hilarious.

-When Powers couldn't deal with taking care of his son anymore & put him in a basket in the water, so he could float downstream & be picked up by a deserving family - LOL. His reference to "Moses" and "that baby in Willow" killed me - truly side-splittingly funny & just a #$#@%$-up scene all around - hilarious. The fact that he went back soon after & got the baby didn't make the scene any less funny - LOL.

-The entire sequence at Ashley's Schaeffer's huge house, including the bizarre dinner & the later scene in the huge yard, where Schaeffer forced the people he hated to run through the yard & then fired cannon balls at them - Wow - I didn't see that coming when the dinner first started - LOL.

- The opening sequence toward the end of S03, when Seth Rogen & his buddies were at a bar in TX, and Rogen started hitting on a girl outside the bar (who had just insulted him), and then promptly getting hit by a car & dying (since he was stupidly standing in the street) - LOL.

Going along with the above, Powers being traded to TX - only because the previous player had been killed, and for no other reasons - LOL.

-Powers and his manager trading insults in the office, as the manager was telling Powers he had been traded - very funny.

-Where Schaeffer had Stevie buffing/waxing a car to perfection at the car dealership, while being berated/mocked by his co-workers - LOL.

- Powers referring to Stevie's wife as "Grimace" due to her hip purple clothes & side-ways baseball hat - LOL.

- The a-hole Schaeffer being set on fire by the bikers he had employed (due to his insensitive comments), and everyone ignoring this & continuing their conversations while Schaeffer screamed in the background - frickin' hysterial!

-Powers' mother being played by the great Lily Tomlin, the bowling alley scenes were great. I was reminded of my favorite comedy, The Big Lebowski (1998).

However, the funniest & truly most messed up sequence here was after Powers' friend Shane died of a drug overdose, and everything related to this:

-Powers "placing" Shane in a peaceful position on the couch, as if had died in his sleep.

-Powers stealing Shane's huge truck (he died, so he won't miss this - LOL), and then being called on this by Shane's twin brother - who eventually took the truck back after the family members blocked Powers' exit from the funeral with a "human chain" - incredibly funny. Also great was the awkward, impractical way the car's doors opened.

-Powers taking pictures of Shane's body at the funeral home, to the horror/disgust of his family.

-Powers going to Shane's funeral, and drowning out Shane's grandfather by making an extremely inappropriate speech (including a comment that Shane's body now looks like the Crypt Keeper on Tales from the Crypt), and also playing rock/pop music on a small radio/boom-box - before being chased away - LOL.

-Shane's twin brother talking about Shane being a dead-beat, and then berating Powers as well - LOL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks