What's new

Dynasty - The Official Thread for all things Carrington & Colby (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I wouldn't hold my breath for Dynasty: The Reunion. It may still be tied up with Fox and if that is the case we will probably never see it released.

Frederico_GaGa

Auditioning
Real Name
Frederique
That's too bad. I kinda lost hope when they released a "complete collection" in the UK without including "The Reunion".
I wonder if studio rights have something to do with the fact that we still haven't seen a "complete collection" released in R1.
Maybe Shout Factory could help us out with "The Reunion"...

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Studio rights wouldn't stop CBS/Paramount from releasing all 9 seasons in a 'Complete' box, but goodness knows if we'll ever get the Reunion.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Considering the sluggish sales of the individual season sets of Dynasty, I doubt CBS/Paramount will ever release a complete series set.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
classicmovieguy said:
Sales may have been better if Seasons 3-9 were originally released in full instead of those split-season sets.
Quite so! In fact, the third season (1982-83) was only 24 episodes long, IIRC, and could have easily been done as a 6-disc set.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I remember being disappointed when s3 came out as a split set, especially after S2 was a single set with many episodes. It didn't stop me from purchasing.

In this strange universe we live in, you'd think that if we got The Colbys we'd be able to get the Dynasty miniseries reunion eventually too.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Frederique said:
But the picture quality on the R2 sets, from season 6 onwards, was terrible. No wonder they were much cheaper than the R1 releases.

From what I recall the U.S. region 1 releases for those seasons weren't remastered. From what I recall the quality was bad, they just released them without any remastering. am I wrong?

Frederico_GaGa

Auditioning
Real Name
Frederique
The R1 releases were definitely remastered. However, the R2 releases for seasons 1-5 looked just as good as their R1 counterparts.
The R2 releases suffered a major drop in quality from season 6 onwards. And I should know, because I double-dipped on those seasons. :)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
JayHink said:
In this strange universe we live in, you'd think that if we got The Colbys we'd be able to get the Dynasty miniseries reunion eventually too.

I think it has to do with rights issues. Dynasty: The Reunion, I believe, is still owned by Fox. Since Fox, in all honesty, will probably not ever release it, then we would have to rely on a third party license to get it. In the past, Shout has had some issues with licensing Fox properties. Shout has been successful with Fox properties, but Fox has been the difficult ones when it comes to the licensing price. Given that track record, I really don't see Shout attempting to pay an expensive license for a 4 hour mini series. The chance of recouping their investment could be too much of a risk for them. The Reunion has not been syndicated with the rest of the series, so it has not been seen since the original airing and one possible repeat that summer. It is not as well known as the rest of the series or even The Colbys. Given all of that, it is likely only the most devoted of Dynasty fans will purchase it. Even among Dynasty fans, The Reunion is pretty much regarded as pretty poor. With that kind of reputation, again, sales could be pretty low. I just don't see anyone taking a chance on it. If it was going to be released, it should have been released as part of the season 9 set or it should have come out not long after the final season so sales momentum wasn't lost. At this point, it has been so long since season 9 came out, the chances are really, really slim that it will ever see the light of day again.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Frederique said:
The R1 releases were definitely remastered. However, the R2 releases for seasons 1-5 looked just as good as their R1 counterparts.
The R2 releases suffered a major drop in quality from season 6 onwards. And I should know, because I double-dipped on those seasons. :)
UK releases of Seasons 6-9 came from lower quality video sources, and have a lot of colour pulsing, digital noise, etc, but it's not so bad as to make it unwatchable.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Dynasty and Dynasty II: The Colbys - two series that would look utterly spectacular in hi-def, given Nolan Miller's elaborate costuming. We won't see the day, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming of it.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
The reunion was the weakest plot in the entire series and made zero sense tying up the finale...

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The Reunion has popped up in syndication from time to time, but not as part of the Dynasty package. It is not listed in the CBS syndication bible.

All seasons but #1 are available in high Def for syndication. ..not sure if Dynasty is streaming at present.

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator
The Dynasty Reunion gets such a bad rep! Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who actually likes it! Can I admit that without being flogged in the town square?? I will agree with everyone that it's not a fitting end to the show, but it's all we got! At least it brought together a lot of the cast.

So, I for one, don't feel it's NEARLY as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I hope it gets released, as I'm a completist and I don't believe in choosing not to include it as part of the Dynasty/Colbys canon.

So how about it? Let's have a little love for the Reunion show. The consistent ragging on it is becoming rather repetitive and unoriginal, and therefore way more tedious than the Reunion show EVER could be. LOL!!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
What a lame idea leaving Sable and Monica out then bringing back Miles ? Made no sense whatsoever and should have left Adam out the replacement was not similar in any manner! Then the subplot with Alexis was bizarre..,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks