What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD's You Own Just Because They're RARE (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I got Seven Samurai (original region-free with restoration demo) and the two-disc Army of Darkness from Anchor Bay because they are rare and because I like those movies.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Didnt buy it becuase it was rare or anything (actually thats my question) but Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I have one of the copies that has two pictures of Alex Winters instead of 1 of winters and one of Keanu on the spine. Does anyone know if that's actually "rare"

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
I have Robocop and Spinal Tap Criterion Editions. I wanted both, but I think I bought Spinal Tap when I heard it was going out of Print. I will only buy it if I am interested in the film. However if I knew when most films were going out of Print I might buy it. :)

I also bought the CD by Bodycount with ICE T, and the track Cop Killer - mainly becuase the CD was being recalled. Only listened to it once. :)

I would however never sell any of my DVDs or CD's unless I had duplicates. I love to collect, and I love rare items.

Regards

AXE

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking to buy Robocop so was browsing Amazon. Ended up buying their last Criterion. Still have it in shrinkwrap, unwatched.

Picked up Dances with Wolves DTS because it's OOP and I've heard it's a good move...but have yet to watch it. Ever.

-Seth

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
bought the Charlie Chaplin set blind because robert harris told us they were going out of print (only to find warners was doing a huge set of two discs
I grabbed up a few as well.

As Mark mentioned, at the time, word was that Warner would only be releasing the recut versions of the films.

Until I actually see Warner outdo Image on these and until I know that the original versions are going to be included, I'm sleeping much better knowing I picked up the ones I wanted while they were still available. :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Until I actually see Warner outdo Image on these and until I know that the original versions are going to be included, I'm sleeping much better knowing I picked up the ones I wanted while they were still available.
The David Shepard editions are truly excellent... but he was limited in what materials he could use. For example, the only restoration done was using digital ways. He said that it took a couple hundred of edits to clean up City Lights because the negative was so worn. These were transferred extremely well, even for 1992... but also keep in mind... video technology has become a lot better since then.

The film elements which will be used for the DVDs are from new restorations done by the Cineteca Bologna. They're responsible for the four German Horror Classics released by Kino on DVD.

I'm still holding onto my 5 discs (The Circus, The Gold Rush: Redux, City Lights, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator) since some of the extras will likely not be carried over. I doubt the interviews with Lita Grey, David Raskin, and Carl Davis will be used. However, it's likely that stuff like the deleted The Circus scenes will turn up, sans David Shepard commentary.

The new discs WILL include both versions of the films whenever possible. A Dog's Life through The Circus will have both the silent original and the sound reissue on the DVD set. Modern Times, Limelight, and A King In New York should have their excised scenes back in somehow. City Lights, The Great Dictator, and M. Verdoux never encountered editorial changes. (Although, City Lights has a Carl Davis score re-recorded in PCM 2.0)

Since the Cineteca is supposed to be overseeing the digital remastering, too...perhaps that means they make sure the wires in City Lights and The Circus will be invisible like they should be.

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
I bought 8 copies of Devil's Advocate -- ex rental DVD. Don't know why I bought them at the time. Finally gave one copy to my brother..waiting on the other brother to get a DVD player.

Also got Seven Samurai and Little Shop of Horrors....but still haven't opened LSOH. One day I will open and watch it but just not in the mood to see it yet.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I've got some rare OOP discs, like the Criterion editions of This is Spinal Tap and Hard Boiled, but I'm really fond of the films themselves. I've sold my Criterion editions of Salo and The Silence of the Lambs, because the desire to rewatch a film is either there or it isn't.

Like others have said, I'll only keep a film if I want to watch and rewatch it - not simply own because it's an established classic or rare or has the most bitchin' set of extras ever (I'm probably one of three people who bought Pearl Harbor: Vista Series for the movie), but one where the film will give me a great deal of enjoyment in the future, for whatever reason.

If that means selling Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and The Bridge on the River Kwai but keeping The Prowler and The Mighty Peking Man, then so be it. I can't explain my tastes, and I won't apologise for them, though I am often just as baffled at what I like and what I don't as everyone else.

I just love films too much to waste shelf space and money on discs of movies that don't do anything for me, regardless of their perceived value among the DVD community.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

If I don't love the film I don't own it. It's that simple.

I do own a dozen or so OOP titles, not because they're rare but because they're a favorite film of mine.

Luke Foust

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the Lethal Weapon 4 was a very nice reference to the "Buy a DVD Player and get 4 free movies" days. Two of the DVDs I remember were Step Mom and Lethal Weapon 2. Everybody with a new DVD player had a copy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
jeffmc are you sure that "2019 After the Fall Of New York"
is recalled?

i have found several sites that still have it in stock. and even a very low buy it now on an auction site.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
2019 - Recalled...

Yes, it's been recalled, but I don't know as to what extent Shriek Show is actually going to have the ones out there returned to them. The head of SS posted on another forum several days ago acknowledging the recall and indicating the disc will be reissued without the controversial commentary track. He said less than 1500 units of the original version had shipped - I assume a lot of those reached retail and are probably still out there if you look for them (SS discs are not always the easiest to find, though). Copies at distribution centers or warehouses may go back to SS - I have no idea - or they may just let the original pressing "sell off". If you want the original disc, get it quick, though. You can still get it at certain places and auctions of it may still be going for low "buy it nows', but this was also the same case with "Swamp Thing" before word got out. Of course, ST has a bigger cult following then 2019, and 2019 WILL at least be reissued (without the commentary) unlike ST which is currently completely unavailable - so the perceived value of the original pressing of 2019 is purely in the eyes of euro-trash fans who want the complete package. Once again, it's a movie I already wanted so it's not a "buy it because it's rare" situation - but if I'm already going to spend the $20+ on it, why not get ahold of the rare edition of it with the commentary track? Makes dollars and sense to me.

Jimmy Wong

Grip
Actually I've bought ALOT of DVD's because they were going OOP. All the Criterions from SOTL throught the Tati's, A bunch of Image-Universal titles that I thought might be decent. Actually had Swamp Thing (that came from formerly collecting comics).

I have been re-thinking this lately though. I've been selling off a lot of my collection (1300) either because I just bought on impulse because they were cheap, CH or going OOP and I'm makeing a TON of money. Now I can buy they films I really want.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I own several dvds that are rare that I love, but the dvds I own mainly just because they are rare are:

Silly Symphonies
Micky Mouse: In Living Color
Beauty and the Beast: Platinum Edition
The Lion King: Platinum Edition

And maybe a couple of others. It's not that I don't think these are great dvd's, it's just that they are not my favorites out there.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
I have two copies of most of the out-of-print Disneys, so I guess you can say I hang on to them 'cause they're rare. Also, my DVD of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE MOVIE, which I found funny not at all, I hang on to until I decide to sell it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm .... sorry but my mind can't conceive of such a mentality. Oh, yeah, I have my share of OOP stuff in my collection but they were in print and readily available when I bought them. However, if a title I really wanted but hadn't purchased yet and I hear it's going OOP then yeah I'd buy it but I'd eventually have gotten around to buying it anyway.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I'll admit I would get them but never at a high price. I'll watch them but usually resell them at a nice profit. If it's worth a permanent spot in my collection than it is worth it on it's own terms, not for its rarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks