What's new

DVDFILE has their Spider-Man review up. (1 Viewer)

mark_d

Second Unit
Well, I found this to be a most entertaining romp and my wife thought it possibly the best movie she's ever seen. She's into escapism, fantasy and romance. This has been on pre-order for what feels like an eternity.

FWIW my wife and I concur when it comes to the CGI in this movie - it fits perfectly.

Cheers,

Mark

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Damin, No reason to get testy about it. I was just stating I would rather see widescreen shots on reviews, Perhaps Ron has spoiled me!

Wes

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I viewed the Spiderman DVD at Sony 4 weeks back, and saw little to no film grain on this transfer at all. I respect Peter Bracke's reviews very much, but I didn't see anything of what he is speaking of on the video transfer..... This anamorphic WS dvd looked like most of all the other top benchmark Columbia video presentations.... PERFECT!!
... now you were watching it on a $30,000+ TV set remember. :)
Dan

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
wow, I was surprised with how much Peter Bracke loathed the Spider-Man DVD. Oh well, not that I am paying any notice of this. I can hardly wait for my R4 CE box to arrive
According to Sam Raimi, he did not film any additional scenes for the movie. I think he mentioned this at the Australian Press conference. I will try and find the link from www.spidermanhype.com or www.darkhorizons.com
:emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Too bad, I was looking forward to the extended cut where we get an additional half hour of Kirsten Dunst in her wet blouse, riding horseback and jumping on trampolines. :b

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am not worried about any footage put back in the movie.. they did a fine job with the footage that they had.. no need to put it back in the movie.. separatly would be fine with me.

JACOB

Ned

Supporting Actor
I'll buy this version and see what all the fuss was about. Superbits arent my cup of tea.

So you don't care about getting maximum video quality. OR you care more about extras than high video quality?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Or he's like me, watching movies on a 15 year old 27" TV with a Aiwa shelf system for audio that's nice, but not superlative. IE, Superbit ain't gonna make a bit of difference, and by the time I have a rig that does make a difference, it'll be time for HD-DVD anyway.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
As much as I enjoyed Spidey in the theaters, and after reading DVDFile's review of the lackluster video/audio quality on this first release, I'm going to wait on the inevitable Superbit Release. Hopefully, columbia tristar will get their act together and give this movie a better fate on the superbit release , whenever that is.

Later!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As much as I enjoyed Spidey in the theaters, and after reading DVDFile's review of the lackluster video/audio quality on this first release, I'm going to wait on the inevitable Superbit Release. Hopefully, columbia tristar will get their act together and give this movie a better fate on the superbit release , whenever that is.
Maybe you should wait until others chime in on the quality. It's a mistake to base your decisions solely on one review - even if it's mine!;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Or, just perhaps, he doesn't buy into the marketing hype.
Superbits aren't marketing hype. I can see a difference on my setup - I've done comparisions. No, the difference isn't huge, but is noticable - and to me - makes it worth buying.

Spider-man is surely going to be a Superbit. I am still debating on whether I will wait or not.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
As recent threads have attested to, blatantly incorrect DVD reviews are all too common. DVDFile's review of Keeping The Faith, for example, states how odd it is that director Edward Norton is nowhere to be found on the commentary tracks for the feature and the deleted scenes. On the contrary, Norton is very much on the commentaries.
DJ

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Our review will be up Tuesday afternoon.
Not saying anything till then. :)

GaryEA

Second Unit
I just read the review over at the Bits :rolleyes, and it reminded why I don't normally read reviews. I'm a fan of the film, and barring any huge problems that would warrant a recall, I'll happily buy the film on street date.
Superbits aren't marketing hype.
Anything marketed with a ridiculous name like "Superbit" is a product of hype, or at least an unfortunate victim of it.
It's almost as bad as "Disney DVD".
-g

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Gary,

If you don't have the equipment to make valid comparisons, maybe you shouldn't be so cynical.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Did I say what my equipment consisted of? No, so I'm not sure why you would mention this.

My cynical nature stems from studios who have solid product, but release them to the public in the most asinine ways.

The labeling of a series of discs, whether if they're a series or of a particular quality, is fine. Criterion has become a name as the "Criterion Collection", but it's never come off as self-indulgent because it serves as a brand name.

These days, I think the marketing departments that have pushed DVD to such a huge success, have gone a wee bit overboard. For example, we have "Five Star", "Superbit", "Platinum Series", "Platinum Edition" and "Disney DVD". Disney alone has so many tiers of editions (Gold, Limited, Platinum) that I don't take them seriously anymore.

Plus we have the over-used phrases like "collector's edition", "deluxe edition", "limited edition" and "special edition".

You get the idea.

If you like your Superbits and they make a difference for you; great, but I was talking about marketing, not the technical aspects.

-g

Edited for grammar, and to add a point or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks