1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumbo SE - 6/13/06

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Harold Wazzu, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Well-Known Member

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Well-Known Member

Interesting News!

This has always been and most likely always will be my favorite Disney film. I loved the first SE, but the picture could have used some improvement.

If they give the master clean-up that it deserves than count me in. This smells suspiciously like a re-packaging though.

3. DouglasBr

DouglasBr Well-Known Member

Glad I held off from the current release, I guess. I always had this suspicion they might revisit it before a hidef version.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    The only things Disney could add to Dumbo are original mono and give the film its own DVD-9 (2-disc). The original DVD is excellent in every way, so I don't know why a new edition is needed.

Some people didn't like the transfer, but it's one of the few Disney features on DVD with the natural film grain intact. Absolutely no dirt, specks, or even cel dust.

5. ZackR

ZackR Well-Known Member

This is interesting. The Dumbo 60th Anniversary Disc is one of my favorite discs and the film itself is just pure Disney brilliance. Patrick is exactly right about the "Disney dust" too. [​IMG] I am curious about what they would do to "improve" upon the current release. Still, I love classic Disney, so I hope they deliver something great for this one.

6. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Well-Known Member

I never quite saw any problem with the pq of the Dumbo DVD. The problem I had with this disc was that it wouldn't stop - the only way to stop it was to eject it.

7. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Well-Known Member

Craig Beam
    I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing that ultra-clean cel-direct pre-film look that the more recent Disney animated classics have exhibited... but yeah, the existing DVD is wonderful just as it is.

8. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Well-Known Member

I love Disney classic cartooons and didn't see much wrong with the last Dumbo.
    What irks me is Disneys priorities.
    What we need is what we have never gotten from them - a good looking and good sounding Pinocchio.

9. Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman Well-Known Member

Absolutely, not to mention that the current disc is as bare as bones get. You know the manufacturers were stretching when they listed full-color disc art as a "bonus" feature.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with the current Dumbo incarnation.

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Well-Known Member

I agree!

We need a brand new remastered transfer with a commentary track, the old making-of alongside a new more extensive documentary and the 3 Figaro short cartoons!

Also a seperate disc for the 20, "I'm No Fool" and "You And Your", Jiminy Cricket cartoons would be amazing!

11. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Well-Known Member

Craig Beam
    Wasn't a Platinum-type edition of PINOCCHIO released in another region within the last couple of years? What the hell is taking Disney so long to release it here? PINOCCHIO was the very first Disney animated DVD way back in 1999 (well, not counting that Beauty and the Beast Christmas thing), so it's long than overdue for a revisit.

12. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Well-Known Member

The 60th Anniversary version that I own is far from bare bones. They are about 14 extras and none of them are listed as disc art.

Something tells me that Disney is just going to repackage this one as there really isn't anything wrong with it.

For being only 64 minutes long, I doubt the movie needs its own disc.

13. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

That comment refers to Pinocchio, not Dumbo...

14. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Well-Known Member

Wasn't Pinocchio always used as a format launcher for the animated films? I would expect it would maintain that distinction for HD DVD - if they follow past history.

15. JoeJ

JoeJ Active Member

A Special Edition was released everywhere outside the US, and whilst the restoration was nice (though a little sterile), aside from that, there was nothing to write home about, and no mono track. I'd wait for the Platinum Edition, it will be worth it.

16. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Well-Known Member

17. ZackR

ZackR Well-Known Member

That box art is hideous. Dumbo is one of my favorite Disney films, so I am sure I will pikc this up, but the current 60th Anniversary disc is a great one...

18. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Well-Known Member

I agree that the boxart is absolutely hideous! I think I would rather remove the art and have an empty black box on the shelf.[​IMG]

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I have a sneeking suspicion that Disney will not put a 4:3 title out as their premiere hi-def release. I wouldn't mind being wrong, though.

Regards,

20. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Well-Known Member

what is this lame crap?

does this mean we won't see a Platinum release for Dumbo?

what the hell is even the point of this?