What's new

Dumbo SE - 6/13/06 (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Same as re-re-releasing Tarzan a little while ago. Same as doing sequels like Little Mermaid 2, Bambi 2, Cinderella 2, et al.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

And you can bet that *this* cinephile will really put the screws to the new disc and compare both in his review very, very carefully!

dave :D

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
It'll be interesting to see what you come up with. It seems to me that some people complain because it doesn't look like it was made yesterday on a computer...

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Damn! If this isn't the lamest Disney release to date, I'd like to hear it's competitors. Truly a shame, especially since this is hands down the best Disney film in my book.

I'll hold on to my current copy.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Bonus Features

• DisneyPedia: “My First Circus” (New)
Children are encouraged to learn about different animals seen at the circus, in a fun matching/memory game.

• “Baby Mine” Music Video (New)
Performed by Jim Brickman and Kassie DePaiva

• DVD Storybook “Dumbo’s Big Discovery”
A full-color booklet for young children with an original ‘Dumbo’ story.

• Sing Along Songs

• “Celebrating Dumbo” Featurette
A retrospective on the making of ‘Dumbo’ with commentary by Roy E. Disney and Don Hahn (executive producer of Disney’s ‘The Lion King.’)

• Walt’s Original TV Introduction For The Film

• Dumbo Art Gallery
Rare concept art from the film

• Bonus Animated Shorts
“Elmer Elephant” and “The Flying Mouse” I think what makes it sound so bad is the fact that they lead the list with the game, music video, and storybook. If they had started with the documentary, concept art, shorts, and Walt's intro, it might sound a little better - although the lack of a commentary does impair it to some degree. I can't really remember what is on my current Dumbo to compare, but I can't really see myself upgrading, to be honest.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Heck, I'd settle for a DVD of the true original theatrical version of Beauty and the Beast. One that preferably wasn't ridden with mosquito noise.

-Lyle J.P.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Pinocchio is good looking...the DVD image just preserves the natural film grain which has been digitally removed on most of the recent LOWRY clean-up jobs.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
You described the current "Dumbo" with that quote, not the "Pinocchio" that I have seen. The "Pinocchio" DVD has lots of video artifacts, most conspicuously the weird effect where the backgrounds "freeze" for a few frames.

Regards,

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Why baffled? When you are sitting in the front or the middle of a cinema do you see film grain? It's the natural look of film for those sitting maybe anywhere but the back.;) Same in a home theater.:)

Paul

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It's not a matter of seeing film grain, but rather the original look of the film. It's sort of like being able to see the wood texture under the Mona Lisa. The texture is part of it and doesn't need to be removed.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Patrick,
David already acknowledged that he typed "Pinocchio" in error (three posts above yours). He meant to say that the existing "Dumbo" DVD is good looking.

Regards,

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Nor a trailer.

Some special edition!!! - a solid DOWNgrade.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Er, okay...so someone explain to me...what's the point?

Ah well, I'll find the 60th Anniversary disc and stick with that.

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator
oooo i just picked this up tonite but i wont be able to watch it for awhile as i brought a couple of criterions along with it

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just got the disc and did my viewing. Full Review coming shortly.

Basic Summary:

Yes, commentary is there.

Yes, image is noticably improved for wide-angle viewers (better color, better contrast, and no EE).

Audio still sounds like a newer multi-channel presentation (ie, not pure mono) but is still very tasteful. I'll do a closer listen to make sure I'm getting that right... spent my time so far looking at picture and bonus items.

Bottom line: a recommended buy.

I'll post back when I get the full review thread up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks