What's new

Dual SVS PC-Plus 16-46 VS. P2B+ ?? (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Tom:

You might find this comparison useful:

20-39PC+ three ports open, SS12
PB2+ three ports open, SS25
PB2+ 2 ports open, SS20

While none of these curves display what I would consider to be an exaggerated mid-bass, the PB2+ clearly fills in the 50-25 Hz region more aggressively than the 20-39PC+.

This advantage will no doubt be perceived as a comparative increase in "slam" on most popular bassy DVDs.

It is also interesting to note the PB2+ in the 20 Hz tune exhibits a significant extension advantage over the 20-39PC+ from 20-15 Hz.

Regardless, I agree with Zack - the least expensive way to get a bit more slam in the 25-50 Hz region is to buy a parametric EQ or a BFD and add about 2-3 dB to the curve at these frequencies. That shouldn't tax the 16-46PC+ much at all.

If you are really hot on the PB2+, you could run it in the 20 Hz tune and enjoy similar extension as your current 16-46PC+ and also obtain a bit more slam in the more common 25-50 Hz region. Decisions, decisions........ :)

Regards,

Ed

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Tom:

Given that you sound like you are eyeing the PB2-Plus I would sell your present sub and buy the PB2 over buying another PC+ 16-46 to go with what you have. I personally believe that the PB2-Plus will give you everything that you are looking for plus.

If this is something that you want to do and you need a place to list it just send me the information you want to display and I will put it up on our used subwoofer page.

Parker

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Tom,
Sounds to me like you need a BFD. The task at hand would be so simple. Just crank up the sub until you get the "oomph" you want, but all other frequencies are just too much to bear. Then use the BFD's equalizers to tame everything else down to a balanced and listenable level. Use an SPL meter if possible. At only $150, it's a really great investment in your subwoofing future; and substantially less than you would spend on a second sub.

Greg

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling he's used to the "boomy" sound[50hz thump] that many commercial subs exhibit.
How long did you have your SVS?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I think Parker's hotlink accidentally blew a gasket. That is for the SVS01 Bass Box.

Here is the link to the BFD. It is essentially an inexpensive parametric equalizer originally intended for detecting and eliminating frequencies which are causing feedback in a live concert environment by using extremely narrow bandwidth filters.

Home audio enthusiasts discovered this little gem and started using it to tame room response peaks, particularly for subwoofers. You can use it to create a mild boost in the 30-60 Hz region while leaving the remainder of the frequency response untouched.

The 16-46PC+ woofer and amp should both have enough headroom to tolerate a mild boost in this region without causing problems. However, if your room is large and you play it loud enough, the extra EQ will eventually take its toll by causing the sub to reach its excursion limits a bit earlier than would otherwise be the case. Common sense and incremental overall volume increases are the order of the day when playing with extra EQ.

If you find that you can achieve the sound quality you like with the BFD, but you can't create satisfactory sound pressure levels and slam without bottoming the woof, only then would I recommend a second sub or a PB2+.

Regards,

Ed

http://www.behringer.com/02_products...1124P&lang=eng

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Sorry about that. I wasn't thinking. My link is to the SV Bass Management Box the Feedback Destroyer is as Ed has listed in his link.

Parker

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that equalization is worth a try and is much less expensive. If you are looking for oomph you can hear, you probably want to put more emphasis in the mid bass region. Also, if you have floorstanders as mains, try setting them at large with the sub crossover fairly high so that there is more overlap. Experimenting with settings and options is a lot less expensive than a new sub :;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks