What's new

Does Hacking Like This Make Anyone Else Mad? (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I felt invaded when Sony entered the console market. The damn Playstation still 'feels' like it has the 'aura' of a Walkman if you ask me. :D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well my PS2 emits a certain "aura" of being black and blue and when stood on its side it looks AMAZINGLY like a PC!
Not nearly as tall. The X-box, OTOH...

Look, I said this before in all caps and obviously some of you missed it (hmm...and someone said I was the one who would ignore things):

The X-Box IS a console. It is a GREAT console. The quality of the games is relative to the person in question. I don't hate MS. There are things about the X-Box I don't like all that much. So what? Do you REALLY care?

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Morgan, I do get your points. I think I know what you are trying to say. Grabbing a Sidewinder control feels definitely different than grabbing a PS2 Dual Shock or a GC control. Not better or worse (at least for me); simply different. There's a certain feel to Microsoft's controls which is quite special - the plastic, the shape, dunno. I like them, BTW.
But that's it. Be it a Gekko, a Flipper, an Emotion Engine or whatever, they all share transistors, capacitors, resistors, and the like. They all process instructions. They all deliver the same result.
Don't be so biased about what "feels" like a PC and what doesn't. It's all in your mind. Also, learn to embrace and accept different technologies. I work in IT, and people who blindingly bash Microsoft sometimes ignore some very nifty pieces of software. Open your mind and don't let the media bias you one way or the other. ;)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Ayyyyo. I'm sorry I got involved here, guys.

I have my stupid opinions and biases, and whether I believe they're based in heuristics or not, I'll leave them at that. It's clear this is still a sensitive issue.

Truth be told, and this is no secret, I'm so into online gaming that I'll probably end up with an Xbox for Live. I just wish it was different, sort of how I only have my choice of certain phones that AT&T works with while I'd rather have a cool DoCoMo.

Meanwhile, my best option is a Sony Ericsson T68i. It's okay, but I sure wish I could be doing it on another piece of hardware that was designed a little different.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
It's clear this is still a sensitive issue.
Not at all. As I stated, at the very least you just came out and said you have a particular bias towards Microsoft Josh. While I don't agree with most of what you said, you made that clear and were forthcoming about it which explains some of your feelings.

What I am sensitive about is misinformation and plain out foolishness while trying to hide it behind a veil of "but I want one eventually so I dont hate it" nonsense, which is what prompted my replies above.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
The X-Box IS a console. It is a GREAT console. The quality of the games is relative to the person in question. I don't hate MS. There are things about the X-Box I don't like all that much. So what? Do you REALLY care?
How can it be great when you just said, "If MS makes a good console". According to this remark, they haven't even made a good one yet, let alone a great one. And why do we care, because we are tired of posts and opinions that are filled with ignorant half-truths that you state as fact. Again, if you don't like my comments, here is $.25, call someone who gives a damn.
BTW, I own all three Next-gen consoles, and love all three of them.
-Dean-

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
Well, getting back to the original topic of this thread regarding hacking the xbox, apparently the Neo project is giving up on their attempt. Check out slashdot today for more info.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
And why do we care, because we are tired of posts and opinions that are filled with ignorant half-truths that you state as fact
I don't know everything, and neither does anybody else. Most of you know more than me, that is true. I say stupid things, you correct, and then I learn something, point out a fault in logic somewhere, or I make my point in a different way. The thing is, my opinion on the subject of the X-Box being a console or a PC is that it's a console that feels like a PC. It's sort of a gamer-friendly PC. You know how there are those commercials with the car that is a minivan with the spirit of a compact? It's sort of the same thing.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Er, back to the question of why someone would put Linux on an Xbox... (sorry to be on topic!)

One Xbox running Linux would be nifty. 10 Xboxes running Linux networked together as a cluster would have some nice computing power. 100 Xboxes... well, you get the point.

You could host a pretty nice web site that way, or calculate matrix multiplcations in parallel like mad.

If an Xbox fails, at it's loss-leader cost, you'd be more than happy to just throw it away and shove another one in.

A wall of Xboxes rendering movies frames all day long... droool!

Martin.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Hey, at least he wasn't offering for someone to completely reverse-engineer the X-Box with the intent to product the L-Box. :D

JoshF

Supporting Actor
It could be interesting, but how much more expensive is a comparable PIII box that someone who knows his way around Linux could no doubt build?

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I'd say quite more expensive. Factor in the cost of a motherboard, power supply and hard disk and I'd say you would be paying more than for the Xbox. Then you'd have to add the memory and processor, plus the video card and ethernet controller.
Though I sure know nobody in his right mind would trust a couple of clustered Xboxes for mission-critical applications. So we end up with a catch-22: somebody is trying to hack the Xbox so that it does something nobody will use it for, anyway. :confused:

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Though I sure know nobody in his right mind would trust a couple of clustered Xboxes for mission-critical applications.
Well, I'm not so sure. A well implemented fault tolerant cluster could easily handle a reasonably high failure rate. And I doubt that M$ wants the Xbox to have a high failure rate to begin with. Granted, a bank isn't going to do such a thing, but there's likely a whole class of problems which an xbox cluster could be a viable solution. Having said all that, I kind of doubt the moral implications of taking advantage of M$ in this way. That is to say, two wrongs don't make a right.

BTW, a video card is completely unnecessary for server array run on Linux. In fact, you don't want the overhead of X running on each machine to begin with. Not to mention the additional security concerns running X would create.

Martin.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Um, my cat's breath smells like cat food.

BTW, I could care less what people do with their consoles. If you want to take your PS2 and try to make a Commodore 64 emulator out of it, more power to you.

Glen

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
But Kelley, I'm at work. And us adults know that work makes you bitch.
So true....I was being awfully mean last night when I wrote that. I guess I came from the generation where you didn't argue over what console was better, but which console had BETTER GAMES. I say console makers quit posting specs about their systems and let their games do the talking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks