What's new

Does Hacking Like This Make Anyone Else Mad? (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'm not putting down rail shooters of 7 to 10 years ago. I'm putting down the fact that rail shooters (platformers, and sidescrollers) are even around anymore. They are very outdated and obsolete gaming concepts.
Now, today with better programming knowledge...more refined programming libraries and languages and the complete disappaerance of all of the hardware limitations that were imposed on developers back then, games like platformers, rail shooters, and side scrollers shouldn't even exist anymore.
Now, first and foremost let me go ahead and just remove the Panzer element here because the focus of these quotes is not to demonstrate someones dislike for Panzer or not. Its really a matter of getting to the bottom of what goes on in the minds of TODAYS gamers.
Or maybe I'm just what some would consider a gaming old fogie. Too nostalgiac and too stubborn to let go of the things that I grew up with. I can accept that. Maybe I'm even behind the times and again, thats something else that I can accept but whats written above is the kind of thing that truly makes me gag as a some one who has been holding a controller in my hand for 15+ years.
Ironically these views are comparable to one of our other favorite hobbies. Home Theater. How many have witnessed the posts/opinions of an individual here or maybe at another board that loves and cares about the alignment of his 5.1 setup, or the next piece of TV technology far more than the films and music that are supposed to be the driving force behind us purchasing these devices?
In the end I'm no one to judge either way (but I will;)), people will enjoy what they will enjoy and hell I spent a good long while in this thread arguing the very subject of technology.
When you stop to take a closer look though its really simple, the technology is a vehicle, its important as hell and there is no argument there, but games, man games are the gas! Without the games you'd be sitting in that vehicle watching the blue skies go by you with nothing to do and nowhere to go.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
When you stop to take a closer look though its really simple, the technology is a vehicle, its important as hell and there is no argument there, but games, man games are the gas! Without the games you'd be sitting in that vehicle watching the blue skies go by you with nothing to do and nowhere to go.
Or *gasp* going outside and playing. ;)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Romier,
The author of that is a jackass and has no true appreciation for games.
Saying that certain styles of games shouldn't exist any more is like saying that all movies should be of the same genre, shot in color, and of the same aspect ratio.
Another damned fool who loves only technology and doesn't want to admit it.
In 1987, I was told by a former college student that he would no longer buy any CD that was not digitally recorded and mixed. He wouldn't buy old titles, or new titles that were recorded analog! Same kind of idiocy. Pity them, and pray for the future.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I don't see what is so wrong with what he said. All he is saying is he thinks games on rails are outdated. It's his opinion. While I wouldn't say I don't think they shouldn't exist anymore, I don't really enjoy them anymore myself.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Kelley,

No offense man. I was just making a joke. Me, personally, I'm all about the games. I wouldn't have a PS2, GC, and an X-box if wasn't all about the games. Personally, I think the X-box's library has gotten very strong and is getting even stronger with their future releases. We all know the PS2 already has a strong library, and the Gamecube has a pretty darn good library itself.

Romier knows how I feel about rail shooters and side scrollers going extinct, we had a nice discussion the other day on it. Personally, if the game is good, I don't care what the hell it is, just make the damn thing good.

BTW, I can't with for Orta.

-Dean-

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
You don't enjoy shooters/platformers/sidescrollers because they are outdated in your mind?
Let me clear up one thing. I actually enjoy 2D games, I have more of problem with games on rails, specifically games with forced forward motion (which is what I think of as a game truly on rails). Forced forward motion is a bit ridiculous to me, but that's just my opinion.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Let me clear up one thing.
You don't have to clear anything up. "You" was not meant as you Aaron. It was meant in a broad and general way. Enjoy or dislike what you want, its your world man:). I was just clarifying the point of my post so you got a better idea of what I was aiming for when I posted that persons comments.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Wow.

Somebody's going on my ignore list. (We do still have that feature, don't we?) I'm tired of dealing with the comments made by someone who's admittedly talking with "mental quirks in his head" and trying to come off as informed about everything. That's ignorance, no matter how you slice it. Perhaps a trip to the therapist to iron that out, should be recommended.

I agree completely with Romier. Let the games do the talking. I don't agree with certain types of games being "outdated", either. People who say so, are either not real gamers themselves, or don't like them and feel they should ruin the party for everyone else, too. I've seen a game here and there come along and breathe new life into a genre. It's not fair to close a door on anything with potential.

As for my thoughts on hacking the XBox, I don't care as long as it doesn't 1) raise console prices because of enhanced security, 2) hurt anybody else and 3) affect online game play. I am seriously against allowing modded consoles to play online games. Cheating is an unfair advantage. Cheat or hack on your own if you must. Don't bring it into my world, please.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I haven't done it yet, due to being constantly distracted and not knowing exactly where the ignore feature is.

But you do still keep coming back to say things even though you say you want to "leave things be". There's that phrase, "do as I say, not as I do."

I wish you well, but I think you should re-think your approach to people. I went through something like that myself and try to see it from other people's viewpoints instead of thinking everything I say is absolute.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Am I to become the Morgan apologist? Why is it JoshF says the same thing as Morgan a full day before, but JoshF gets the respectful "I disagree with you" and Morgan gets ripped a new one? The hatred that drips from the replies to his posts makes me wince. He's expressing opinions, not facts. It doesn't "feel" like a console to him. Maybe that's a stupid idea, but JoshF said the same, if not more inflammatory, things in his first post. And he gets a pass? Romier vows to leave the thread permanently, and doesn't, yet when Morgan steps back in to respond to a post directed at him he's criticized for it?

I don't know anything about the electronic insides of most consoles, beyond "PS2's Emotion Engine" or the "Sega Blast Processor", but like Javier_Huerta, I knew the Xbox had a Pentium III 733MHz processor and uses DirectX. Even if it's not an official MS boast, it gets bandied about in plenty of Xbox rulez! threads. So, imo, the Xbox does have the "aura" of a PC. Doesn't bother me personally. I recommend the Xbox to people because it's PC-derived. It will get the ports of great PC games (either first or exclusively). Morgan doesn't like the way the insides of the Xbox look. To him, they also contribute to a PC "feeling". He doesn't like it when he "feels" that way.

Why shouldn't Morgan get an Xbox? Much of his criticism has a certain amount of jealousy to it, just as many posts are more anti-Morgan than rebuttals. Yet if he ever has post-ownership regrets, I'm sure he'll be lambasted. I thought Halo was a good game overall, yet I became increasingly bored with the utter sameness of the level design and the simplicity of the enemy AI (swarming is not tactics). I prefer Jet Grind Radio to Jet Set Radio Future. The first Xbox controller seemed to me to be designed by someone who'd never played a videogame with anything but a keyboard and mouse, yet the S controller is the finest controller I've ever held. I too wish the Xbox weren't so damned big. I hate MS business practices, many of their PC products, their arrogance and hubris, many of their executives, but I think they've made a great gaming console. Even if the games aren't so hot. Flame on.

Just to have one comment that's on-topic, hacking an Xbox to run Linux is stupid, unless you just want to win $200,000.

By the way, Romier, not to get on your bad side, since I respect most of your posts as well, *edited* is a cop out (unless it was done by the mod). If you meant to say it once, say it forever.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
You know I debated whether to even bother replying to your post Allen because I didn't see any need to bother with this subject YET AGAIN but in the end, I'm not one to shutup when things need said.
Why is it JoshF says the same thing as Morgan a full day before, but JoshF gets the respectful "I disagree with you" and Morgan gets ripped a new one?
If you need to ask that question then you didn't read this thread. Josh F was taken to task by Michael twice earlier in the thread and I sure as hell noted my complete disagreement with him. Even moreso you may not have been aware of the fact that I speak to JoshF on an almost daily basis via AIM and we had a nice little chat about his comments and how strongly I disagreed with them. You however can continue believing that *I* simply set out little targets on Morgan and did the little nicey with Josh.
The fact of the matter is that you know none of this. An even bigger fact is that Josh's statements were just as out there and ridiculous as Morgans but at the very least the man had the balls to come out and say that it was a stupid bias several times in this thread. Forgive me if I don't share the same feelings for an argument that was presented from a completely different standpoint. From someone who went on for 2 pages attempting to use technical specifications to back his arguments when he was PLAIN WRONG with almost every bit of technical jargon he cited. Even more, why are we even talking about this anyway? The conversation of this thread had turned completely away from this nonsense and (wait for it) here we are again.
I've had my arguments with Morgan over the years (more than I can count) Allen. There have been times when I've owed Morgan an apology (not often but it happens:)) and it was given to him without hesitation. You however seem to have some issue with someone taking him task when he *IS* wrong or that we have some personal vendetta. Perhaps you want to go and do a search for the Steel Batallion thread in the software section where I spent 3 LONG pages defending Morgans views to the point of recieving personal attacks from a member. (though we did work out differences. James we're still friends:D)
To be even more clear here Allen, you were not here 2 years ago. This forum was an almost unbearable place to many posters here because of one person. Morgan Jolley. Every thread was derailed, every conversation taken off into a fanboy argument. Bah, you know what? It isn't even worth getting into AGAIN. (Is it the year 2000?).
Im sick and tired of even discussing Morgan Jolley. I've had this conversation with too many people and for too many posts to even give a damn anymore.
Hopefully we can just move on from this TIRED subject already and get back to what we were talking about a few posts back.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Wow. I love waking up to things gone crazy. Especially when I'm involved in a hearsay manner.

Allen: Don't let it get to you. I seem to have helped incite a thread riot, and for that, I apologize.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks