What's new

Do yo ubelieve in vaccinations for your baby/toddler? (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
While I was in my last year of high school, a measels outbreak hit Salina Kansas.. realize, this was the early nineties, not the 1940s.. the entire town was quarantined, and no one was allowed in or out.

It always stuns me the lack of immunization.. Yes there is some discomfort to it. But the risk factor of getting one of those disease, and more importantly, allowing host bodies in which it can mutate or change (which represents a risk to the common health) is such that it should be common sense ;)

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit

don´t you think that this rather depends on your cleaning habits? Here in Germany nobody is circumsized except for some religious groups and there is no increased cancer rate that I know of. I would hate to have that operation done on me without asking me first!

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
>>are you aware of the increased risk of penile cancer (which is almost unheard of in circumsized men) for uncircumsized men and boys

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

One of the byproducts of "aesthetic" circumcision is an almost 100% elimination of penile cancer. How is this "old nonsense"?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
There are -some- benefits to Circumcision, which cannot be denied.

But, whether or not those benefits are significant enough to merit doing it is the debate.

Let's put it this way:

There are health benefits to never getting a piercing or a tattoo.. but cosmetically, some people want it, and the risk factors are weighed.

There are health benefits to having your tonsils removed. But, there are also risks with doing it too.

As a religious matter, circumcision will always be around. As a health benefit it does have some. But it is also associated with some risks as well. The parents who make that decision weigh all of this and reach their conclusion.

This having bee said, the one negative of the debate is that in some ways, it is used to make people feel as though they were "missing out" if they were circumcised, which is largely not the case, as nerve tissue and the sensory input you get from them, develops differently in both those who have had the procedure and those who have not, so it's hard to say there is a comparison that is valid.

But lots of people get vehement on both sides.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
The removal of the foreskin is a surgical procedure that carries a risk of haemorrhage, infection and mutilation.

There is a one in 500 risk of serious complications.
Once the foreskin is removed, the glans, or head of the penis is no longer protected from urine and faeces, and small ulcerations can form around the urinary opening.
Circumcision is also associated with a loss of sensitivity in the penis.

It was thought that babies felt no pain during circumcision as they had immature nervous systems. However, research has shown that babies do experience physical and psychological stress, both during the operation and for hours after.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/227074.stm - "Circumciosion has little value"

================================================== ==
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS:

AAP Rules Out Routine Circumcision:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/288916.stm

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Chris :emoji_thumbsup:

EXACTLY! If a parent wants or doesnt want their kid to have ANY medical proceedure, it's their choice... But they should be aware of the risks and benefits.

As far as the political arguments, I certainly don't feel I'm "missing" anything... No more than I feel I'm missing my Placenta. I don't have any anger or remember any pain... My wife and I had the discusion before he was born... Neither of us are particularly tied to the ceremonial aspects of religion, so that wasn't a factor. I was nonetheless all for it, but was willing to "have an open mind" if she didn't want to. The conversation was over in 5 seconds when she said "He's getting it."

I saw my son's done... It was nothing... Simple... Snip Snip... I had imagined it was going to be HORRIBLE to watch... It wasn't. As I mentioned earlier, I'm VERY queesy about needles and such... This was nothing... I think he cried just as much when they clamped and cut his umbilicle cord... (No... I didn't "cut the cord"... I nearly passed out when that was done) Using the "its traumatic" argument we should have just left that on too to save him the pain of the event or the loss of part of himself. And let's be honest here... All machismo aside... When its done on a newborn baby, we're talking MILLIMETERS of skin... I lost more flesh when I fell off my bike at age 6...

I suspect if their was a proceedure whereby you could cut a CM of skin off a baby girls chest and reduce her lifetime risk of breast cancer to almsot 0, but it would leave a scar when her breast develops, women would be lining up around the block to get it done to their daughters... Just as the scar the smallpox vaccine leaves on the arm was a no-brainer 30 years ago compared to the alternative risk of contracting smallpox. Penile Cancer is RARE across the board, but if I can eliminate the risk by performing a time-honored, socially acceptable proceedure for which the "political" arguments agianst seem to be questionable at best, I'm doing it.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
PENILE CANCER
Advocates
Reports of several case series noted a strong association between lack of circumcision and penile cancer [18]. Advocates believe that "invasive penile cancer could be virtually eliminated in the United States by routine newborn circumcision" (p. 621) [19].

Critics
There are no American studies of the incidence of penile cancer and its association with circumcision status. Penile cancer is rare, and the estimated American incidence is about 1 per 100,000 [20]. In other developed countries where circumcision is rare, such as Denmark and Norway, the incidence of penile cancer is lower than the estimated American rate [21, 22]. Penile cancer occurs generally in elderly men [20]. Therefore, a male may make a decision to be circumcised when he is older without losing this claimed benefit.

http://www.circumcision.org/advocates.htm
================================================== ===

Well, I think we all concur that penile cancer is quite rare (10 out of one million). While botched circumcision procedures are not so rare (1 out of 500) which can result in serious complications. Chopping something off that God/Mother Nature gave him to "protect" against a 10 in a million chance of penile cancer is certainly not worth it to me. Maybe I should build an underground shelter to live in because there are much bigger risks to worry about like sids, car accidents, drownings. etc.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Im laughing at this one... Wait til you get to change diapers 12 times a day... You couldn't keep urine and feces off there if you wrapped it in Saran wrap and sealed it with silicon... Hell, half the time my kid ends up with crap on his foot, his leg, my arm, his hands and his face... If feces and urine on your baby's penis is really your concern, you better HOPE you have a boy, because properly cleaning a baby girl after a dirty diaper requires a map and a flashlight to get all the poop out of all the places it hides... Thats why your baby has YOU dad... You and mom are solely responsible for keeping him clean for the first half a dozen years of his life... If you don't keep 'em clean, circumsised or not, there are going to be health problems like those you described... :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I read the two articles and was impressed with the emotive nature of the writing and font style. Also with the complete lack of citing any real controlled study and considering all of the data and findings in that study.

There is a bit more to be said for the second article, but even here, the lack of specifics is troubling. For example, concern about mercury in vaccines is raised and the statement is made that mercury is still found in many vaccines, including ones for flu.

OK, fine, but a serious article would then go on to list the specifies of which vaccines had the substance and which did not. Here what happened is a concern is raised that is specific (perhaps valid and perhaps not). That specific concern about some vaccines is transferred with a broad brush to indict all vaccines.

To use the phrase of the good doctor, “any thinking doctor should recognize this article for what it is”.

I would point to the complete lack of consideration on the effects of relying on breast milk and using no vaccines as to the statistical effects of children who have not been vaccinated. I would also point out that there is no recommendation as to the proper time to begin vaccinations. The article claims (without proof) that the effects of breast milk last far longer than supposed, but I did not seen when the effects wear off (and hence when vaccinations should begin).

I’m not saying that there is no substance to the concern. But the overall tone is emotive and not scientific.

I would concede that some immunizations become increasingly unnecessary as the general populace is immunized. Smallpox would be the best example of this, but even then with the recent terrorist scare, there was an initial effort to immunize essential personnel against this disease. Plus, travels in some foreign climes will be far more dangerous without proper immunization.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have traveled extensively in Central and South America and believe me, you want your kids vaccinated. The infant mortality rate in those countries is high simply because they rarely vaccinate children against common diseases.

Denward

Supporting Actor
:thumbsdown:Please keep your child away from my child.
If you want to exercise your right to pass on "standard" vaccinations, then you should fulfill your obligation to keep your child out of "standard" activities where he/she interacts with other children. These choices have serious implications for others around you.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Exactly what I was thinking in my post Chuck.

BTW, where have you been in South America? I lived and worked on and off for a couple of years (over probably a 5 year period) in Venezuela, Argentina and a bit in Brazil.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have been to Chile, Argentina, Peru and Brazil. I have also been to Guatemala, Southern Mexico, El Salvador, and Nicaragua.

My family has a couple of businesses down in Central America, a T-Shirt factory and a finance company; both in Guatemala City, Guatemala. I was in those countries specifically scouring sites for facilities to build the t-shirt factory. At the time, the early 1990's, Guatemala had the best bang for the buck as it were. I speak the language so for me it was pretty easy to travel to those other countries. Most of them were just for a couple or three days though so I didn't do a lot of sight seeing. Most of my time down there has been spent in Guatemala. My family has a residence down there about 25 kilometers out of Guatemala Cty. I fist went down to Central America in 1988 and drove from Oceanside, CA to Guatemala City in a Ford Taurus wagon. Driving through the wilds of the Mexican interior is one experience I will NEVER forget. It got pretty hairy at times.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

The only vaccination that we have passed on is chicken pox. The disease isn't too bad (as long as they get it when they're relatively young), and it's unclear whether the vaccine will remain effective through adult hood. In other words, I'd rather have a sick child with chicken pox than potentially have a sick adult with chicken pox. Of course, this means that I must make sure that my kids contract it while they are still young.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Scott, I agree with you. I don't know of anyone who never had chicken pox at some point. Perhaps an ineffective vacinnation? Kinda like how everyone ran out to get the flu shot when it's prepared in the first quarter of the year in anticipation for the winter (and yes, they were wayyy off on the last one).

I haven't even scrathed the surface for research on vacinnations, but I'll get there before June (delivery date).

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

And even if the kids don't get it when they are young, at least they will know they have to be careful. Much better than living with a false sense of security from the vaccine they had 30 years prior. JMHO, of course.

Denward

Supporting Actor
Nothing is 100% effective, even vaccines. IMO, vaccines are a basic responsibility to your child and your community. If you ignore that responsibility, then you have no right to bring your child into contact with other children.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks