What's new

Do yo ubelieve in vaccinations for your baby/toddler? (1 Viewer)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

I'm the same way... I actually pass out at the sight of an I-V needle... Dont know where my kid got it... He falls, bangs his face on stuff,I cringe, he looks at me and giggles....

Im registering him for the NFL draft NOW!

StephenA

Screenwriter
Needles are nothing to me. The only time I cried was when I was going in for a muscle biopsy when I was 8 and the anesthesiologist kept missing my vein with the stuff to help knock me out and injecting it into my muscles. It felt like I was burning from the inside out.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

OH PISS ON THAT!!! No way in hell! Not with a straight jacket and a stun gun could they hold me down for that... Just reading that is enough to make me seriously queesy...

I have to turn away for half the scenes on E.R. and keep asking my wife "are they done yet?" "nope" "now?" "Not yet." "What about now?" "its commercial" "DAMNIT!!! WHAT DID I MISS???"

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Needle phobias are not funny. I have one of those. Doesn't matter how muc it doesn't hurt, it doesn't go away.

When I went to the dermatolgist for a mole removal, they were nice enough to treat it seriously and had me lay down so I wouldn't pass out.

Andto stay on subject, vaccines are good, m'kay.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I hear that Joe, and you're right.... most doctors and nurses mock me for it... But at the same time theyre giggling they say "we see people like you all the time". Not sure that's supposed to make me feel better or what? I've had to have surgery twice, and both times the I-V insertion was the worst part for me...

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
My older brother is a total whimp when it comes to shots. He ainted a few times, always get's light headed. I am the total opposite, I sit down and ask them which arm they want and I always watch. I once got stitches in my head with no pain killers :D

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I'm sorry about what happened to your daughter, but your post is riddled with misinformation.

The tragedy, in my estimation, is that we still cannot immunize all of our children. We have excellent vaccines against a number of diseases that still haven't been eradicated, against infections that can have serious health consequences in childhood (e.g., Streptococcus pneumoniae) and against some which can have life-long health consequences (e.g., Hepatitis B). Plus, our children are being exposed to pathogens from other corners of the globe. Given the continued migration of peoples into the US from areas with diseases no longer endemic to the US--pertussis is a good example--we are seeing a resurgence in particular infections in pockets of the country. The overall benefit of a comprehensive immunization program, including crucial new vaccinations such as Prevnar and immunoglobulin preparations such as Synagis (against RSV), has a tremendous impact on the general health of our children.

I'm sorry, again, for your experience, and there are data to suggest that vaccines, overall, are not perfect. But the alternative, in terms of the impact on the health of US children, is far more frightening.

--Angelo.M (who rarely signs his posts), M.D.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Chris:

Absolutely. Varicella infection can be devastating in certain individuals, including adults. One of the most feared presentations of varicella is varicella pneumonia in an immunocompromised patient. It can be deadly.

And so, we are concerned about the extent and the duration of immunity to varicella after vaccination. What we don't want is to create a generation of children who are vaccinated against it, never get the actual disease, and then experience regression of their immunity as they age into adulthood. As in the case of measles/mumps/rubella or hepatitis B immunization, it may be necessary to obtain titers later in life to insure that the immune response is still sufficient.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Plus, if you the parent has never had chicken pox, then vaccinating the kid may be the best bet. Chicken Pox is so contageous that its hard for everyone in the house NOT to get it if one person has it...

Chicken pox although generally mild in children, can be a SERIOUS FRIKIN' Problem for adults... ESPECIALLY MEN.

Anybody know, is the chickon pox vaccine approved for adults? I've never had them, I wonder if I should get it?

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I have not read this entire thread, but as a pediatric nurse, Please get your children immunized! I do not wish to start a disertation on vaccinations!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Angelo, thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your expertise.You're absolutely right. It's a generalization I shouldn't have made. My doctor did this to me, and I know of one other person whose doctor did this to her - both from the same clinic. These are, I confess, the only two incidents I know of. And even though I have first-hand experience with both of these incidents, they are still merely anecdotal and shouldn't be used in any way as evidence of what behavior can be expected of doctors in general. I was, as you say, way off base, and I apologize for the unfair generalization. Nevertheless, I urge parents to do the best they can to ensure that the doctors they choose are truly looking out for the best interests of their children. If I had taken the time to find a doctor more like you or one of your colleagues, then my life would be filled with far less regret.

-Brian

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Brian:

No hard feelings at all. I appreciate your taking the time to reply. I hope I didn't come across as being pedantic or rude.

You are absolutely correct when you write that parents need to be vigilant with respect to the health care that their children receive. "Trust but verify" is my motto.

I sincerely hope that your child is doing well.

--Angelo, M.D.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Thanks, Angelo. As for your other points, I concede to your greater expertise.

And, in case I wasn't clear before, I am strongly in favor of immunization - not just for the health of the child, but for the health of society as a whole. Please pardon me if my tendency to dwell on what I could have done to make things different has the effect of clouding my ability to express myself clearly on the subject.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to see reason and common sense prevailing in this thread over superstition and hysteria.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
We've had some good discussion - lopsided, but still pretty good.

As with all research, you have to weigh the source. I trust out MD but I also realise that she was trained under a certain school of thought...so as a consumer of her services we have the right to question/challenge anything we want. Not just go blindly into every recommended procedure because it's the "standard" thing to do. For example, if we have a boy we won't have him circumcised.

We will continue discussions about what are the must-have vaccinations and what we can pass on. We will also research how long we can wait before administering vaccinations...ie, spacing them out. At this point I don't feel comfortable pumping a 6 week all baby with everything under the sun.

Thanks for everyone's input. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
my 2 and 3 year old are both vaccinated. I wouldn't take a chance on their health.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

That is certainly your right as a parent, however, have you researched the subject and are you aware of the increased risk of penile cancer (which is almost unheard of in circumsized men) for uncircumsized men and boys?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks