What's new

Disney releases colorized classic.... (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm, laser's Edge (link at top of forum list) has it listed as 1.78:1 Anamorphic and Mono. So I was going to pick it up, but if it is P&S forget it.
Colorized isn't that big of a deal, I could just set my RP-91 to black and white :D or sepia LOL

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
James, even though I'm sure you're joking, you'd be surprised at how many people think that by turning down the color on their set that they'll get the B&W version. This is the furthest thing from the truth. You'll get the color version, with the color information removed. When they colorize films, they oftentimes have to guess at what colors were intended. They superimpose these colors over the already-existing picture information. It completely changes the texture and shadow-delineation in the picture. It's awful.

Not that I would ever buy this, but I seem to remember that the folks who colorized this film went on to do the work for PLEASANTVILLE.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Once I see these discs on street date and read some reviews, I'll send a little letter to Roy Disney. Maybe he 'didn't know' about it again.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I had every intention of purchasing this next week, right up until this morning. Colorization has always disgusted me. I really thought the major studios had given up on it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Unless you bother to call and contact Disney to voice your concerns and have them documented in their system, you might as well not bring your soap-box to this thread.
Want to do something that *actually* can affect the future of your beloved DVDs? The info is in my sig--Consider it paying the toll to post on this thread :)
-dave

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Roy Disney is involved in animation, not live action so it's not his area.
The exec who decided on this should have a large piece of flubber attached to his posterior and bounced and sent to the moon, Alice.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David Boulet: You're right. I'll call tonight. Thanks for reminding us to let Disney know it's a problem. If noone tells them, then they don't know.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Of course you're right DaViD, we need to keep complaining to Disney.
It just gets harder to want to bother since our numerous protests last year about Snow Dogs, etc., apparently did absolutely no good at all. :frowning:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I just looked at the disc. It's 1.33 and colorized with no other options on the disc. It looks hideous.

Jeff

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
OOH!!! why didn't I see this thread earlier?! I just got home tonight and opened up a box of DVD's I had pre-ordered, and ripped the plastic off of this disc. HORRORS! What is Disney DVD thinking? I knew that maybe the ratio wasn't correct, but I didn't even consider that they would bastardize the film by colorizing it!

I am so upset right now!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Rodney, I'd encourage you and anybody else who was disappointed like this to take Disney up on their satisfaction guarantee (assuming these junk DVDs have it).
Make sure to put the reason in writing. I know this is a bit of a hassle but it will send a message. Maybe if they get a number of perfectly playable discs returned they will take some notice that lots of people don't want this garbage.

Brian E

Screenwriter
One more Disney disc I would have bought, but won't be now. Get it together Disney.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is unaccpetable and another reason I am scratching my head that Disney came in second for studio of the year. They have improved but New Line, Fox, Warners and MGM all put them to shame still.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Rodney, I'd encourage you and anybody else who was disappointed like this to take Disney up on their satisfaction guarantee (assuming these junk DVDs have it).

Make sure to put the reason in writing. I know this is a bit of a hassle but it will send a message. Maybe if they get a number of perfectly playable discs returned they will take some notice that lots of people don't want this garbage.
he's right. Do it folks!

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this is not the only movie released that day that is Pan and Scan. Seems Disney are releaseing around ten movies like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks