What's new

Disc problems with TV shows on DVD sets using Scanavo cases (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
did they revamp the packaging on Honeymooners 39 - cause mine are in single slim cases from nexpak

David Owens

Agent

They may have changed them recently...when did you purchase your set?

I bought my set back in the summer of 2005 (I think?)..it was whenever they had remarketed it again to promote that god-awful big-screen version.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
In case anyone is interested the double slimline cases I ordered from Shop4Tech arrived and they fit the Have Gun Will Travel boxes just like the originals. They are very nice cases in black with a slightly rough interior finish. They hold the discs very securely. I guess at 23 cents each it is pretty cheap insurance. Also, I did wipe off most of the oily smudges with alchohol. The cases showed no signs of being oily however. I really think that if these discs are reacting to the case, it will begin to happen on all Scanavo cased dvds with enough time. Just something to keep your eye on.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Back in the VHS days we had plenty of doom sayers as well. They claimed that tapes would only last 10-15 years before they would become unplayable. Well, that was total BS. Since I've been transferring my collection to DVD, which is going on 6 years now, I've found most tapes that were recorded well are in perfect condition and look like they were recorded yesterday.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I haven't played them in a while but my Sega CD games, the ones that came with the system, look like something may be going on.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

All of my older VHS tapes that have survived brutal VCRs and flooding developed a white mold inside the case.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I bet thats the case Travis. The swirl always reminded me of plastic models. When i was a kid many of the models id put together had that kind of swirl. Mostly happened with silver colored plastic. I have never had a disc with that swirl not play...ever.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

I'm seeing what DanMel pictured in post 29 on this thread.

Also, the Hawaii Five-O disc cases are not engraved with the Scanovo logo.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I really do believe that this is unfortunately not a case problem, but a defective disc problem. Cases are easy to deal with and bad discs are not. I am hoping that this is not the beginning of a huge problem that is spread across even studios. We thought that at least it was confined to Paramount now it looks like some Sony discs are affected as well.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
I have checked every Mission Impossible, Hawaii Five-O, Brady Bunch, and Gunsmoke DVD I have, and every single one has some evidence of the localized cloudiness blotches. It varies from disc to disc. H50 S2 Disc 3 has it really bad. All were initially in those thin cases with the milky plastic (and the milky plastic of those cases is in some instances showing localized blotching where the discs were). A random search of other discs of different studios that were not initially in these thinpaks has turned up nearly no incidence of the cloudiness (exception- Doctor Who- "The Daleks" (R2) has some weird cloudy, oily splotch on it).

What was ever so wrong with the Amaray and Alpha DVD cases that served us so well in early days, that the studios have foisted Digipaks, thinpaks, and other disc-damaging or disc-corrupting monstrosities on us?

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I think the reason the studios came around to these new thinner packages is for space saving considerations. Not only can people fit more dvds in their collections with the thinner packaging, but it takes up far less valuable retail space. I keep going back and forth between "its the discs" and "its the packaging" I wish some scientific study could be done to determine what is going on. If the problem is because the disc now has full contact with the packaging, maybe some kind of round acid free paper barrier could fit over the spindle and isolate the dvd from the plastic packaging. I'm afraid that there will be many ruined dvds before this mess it figured out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When this thread started, I checked all of the slimcases (almost all of which are Scanavo cases). Off the top of my head, I checked The Twilight Zone: Season One, Two, Three, Four and Five, The X-Files Mythology sets, Millennium: Seasons One, Two and Three, Harsh Realm: Season One, The Shield: Season Four and Five, 24: Season Five and Six, all of Futurama, all of Mission: Impossible, I Love Lucy: Seasone One, Two, Three, Four, Five and Six, Wonderfalls: Season One, Arrested Development: Season One and Two, the Friday The 13th boxset, the Jackass boxset, The Maltese Falcon, Kolchak: Season One, the best of The Larry Sanders Show, Film Noir Volume Three, all of The Ren And Stimpy Show, Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip: Season One, Twin Peaks: Season Two and Tales From The Crypt: Season Three, Four, Five, Six and Seven.

NONE of those 200 or more individual discs had DVD rot. Many had swirls but that's 'normal' and not indicative of DVD rot.

troy evans

Screenwriter
There are so many factors in why things can deteriorate. My collection of cds and dvds have not fallen victim to this "disc rot" issue. Everyone is surely going to have a different experience, even though, here are some things to think about: 1. Where do you live? Is there extreme climate changes in your area? Do you live near the ocean? Salt in the air from an ocean can do damage. I've seen it first hand. 2. Do you handle you discs roughly? Do you touch them anywhere but the the edges and center, which is where they are meant to be handled? 3. Do you always store your discs in thier, or at least, a case? Do you sit them vertically? Never lay them flat...Never! 4. Do you leave them in the player when not being played? That's another "never do" item. People for the most part treat cds and dvds like shit. Even if you personally don't, I'm sure you've seen examples of it. Just rent a dvd from your local video store. Things don't last forever, but, we don't either. How many things do we have to this day that we've always had? A few out there might have horded everything they ever owned, broke or working. The point is, you have to take care of your stuff. "Disc rot" as I've read seems to be caused by poor manufacturing of early dvd discs, not the types of cases used. I think that's behind us now. I think better care by owners of dvds and cds would eliminate 9 out of 10 problems they have. Every flaw on dvd is not automatically "disc rot" or bad pressings. Just something to consider.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Has anyone even considered that the oily substance on the cases are caused by oxidization of badly pressed discs? It is only a symptom, not the cause of it? Take a step back and consider all possibilities before we burn the witch. ;)

Elena S brings up a valid point about the humidity as well.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
After reading through the whole thread, one question:

Does anyone have a set, in that Scanavo case, that is cloudy, that won't play?

Just because a disc is cloudy doesn't mean it is going to fail at any moment. I have many non Scanavo cased DVDs that are cloudy that play.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Why is that? The weight building up on the hub if you stack them?

It's a moot point for me because where I store my VHS, CDs, LDs, DVDs, CDs and books has always been vertical but I've always been curious as to why you shouldn't store them flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks