What's new

Direct view Sonys (1 Viewer)

Jimmy vb

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting close to returning my mitsu widescreen 55 because of the sources I watch. It has a great picture on dvd and if I could get hdtv(or were willing to wait 4 years until my cable company starts delivering it--no satellite or ota channels where I am situated). The problem is that I watch an awful lot of cable and sports and this puppy just magnifies the mediocre signals I get from cable. The main problem is with image stability--there seems to be motion in images like faces, patterns, action, etc.. I have adjusted it alot but have not done the AVIA--might that help??

I am considering several options. On top of that, the wife is not too thrilled with this "monstrous" set in our den--buzzkiller.

-Return it and get a 43 or 47 inch rptv(the panasonic or a toshiba)--hoping it is less of an issue on a smaller set.

-Go with an analog 32 or 36 inch set for under $600(any recommendations) and wait out the three or four years until I can get some network hdtv signals through my cable.

--OR--buy me a Sony direct view--either the 34 inch 16x9 or the 36 or 40 inch 4:3. This would be hdtv ready. Would this possibly give me a better picture on cable(or at least less exaggerated.

I would really appreciate any feedback. I am going to take a trip out to the Crutchfield retail store today to see the Sonys on display. Any feedback on these would be appreciated.

Ben_hunt

Auditioning
If you go with the sony you have to be careful, all of the HD wega line incorporate a feature called DRC digital reality creation that "cleans up" the picture. If you are running off of digital cable or a satalite reciver that uses s-video or component you will have a great picture but if you are running off of RF "out of the wall" cable you can have a very poor image with a big loss is sharpness and color contrast. The 34" is a great set with a ton of features on it and it definatley is a good compact alternative .
good luck

John Royster

Screenwriter
I have a sony 36xbr450 and a mits 65819. one 4x3 tube and one 16x9 rptv...both are HDTVs.

The sony does the same thing as the mits for me...butcher poor sources. I've done extensive tweaking on both.

Good channels look stunning on the 65" - HBO, discovery.

The movement you're getting on your mits can be a result of SVM too high and sharpness/contrast/brightness being too high. Avia would be a great place to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks