What's new

Denon Avr-591 sub woofer (1 Viewer)

psaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
Hey everyone, I thought I'd see if anyone on here could help me. I bought the system above from Best Buy a year and a half ago (or so) and it's been perfect until just recently. Today, in fact -- i noticed that there wasn't any sound coming from the sub. I tested all the cables, made sure it was on, plugged in, etc but I couldn't get anything to happen

I went through the (limited) troubleshooting in the manual to no avail. A couple things to note -- even when I do a test tone, every other speaker works, but there's nothing from the sub. Also, even when it's on I don't see the light on the back do anything. I've read they could be green or red -- but mine is not lit at all. I don't really know where to go in terms of troubleshooting so figured Id ask here. Let me know what other information you might need, or any ideas you have.
Thanks!!!

Patrick

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
The Denon AVR-591 is a receiver not a subwoofer. What brand sub-woofer do you have connected? Have you checked the receiver's setup to ensure the subwoofer setting is turned on? Here's what I would do:

[*]Check to see if sub is powered
[*]Make sure sub is not set to some auto/stand by setting which has turned it off
[*]check sub settings in receiver
[*]check cable connections from receiver to sub
[*]check sub volume/output level
[*]play test tone in receiver for subwoofer
[*]play test tone from setup disc
[/list]

Let us know how it goes.

psaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
mpompey said:
The Denon AVR-591 is a receiver not a subwoofer. What brand sub-woofer do you have connected? Have you checked the receiver's setup to ensure the subwoofer setting is turned on? Here's what I would do:

[*]Check to see if sub is powered
[*]Make sure sub is not set to some auto/stand by setting which has turned it off
[*]check sub settings in receiver
[*]check cable connections from receiver to sub
[*]check sub volume/output level
[*]play test tone in receiver for subwoofer
[*]play test tone from setup disc
[/list]

Let us know how it goes.
I'll have to check it out -- it all came together as a package with the receiver. And I can't see that it's getting power, due to the light not being lit, but I checked all the cords (including power) and nothing changed. It's a Boston MCS 95. I didn't see where I could swap out a fuse either as the poster below said.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have another option here...There is a 99% chance the amp died in the sub. It happens.You could check Ebay for...Sony TA-N110JAMO MPA101And such like those two. About 15 minutes time spent you can bypass the internal amp.

psaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
schan1269 said:
You have another option here...There is a 99% chance the amp died in the sub. It happens.You could check Ebay for...Sony TA-N110JAMO MPA101And such like those two. About 15 minutes time spent you can bypass the internal amp.
How would I do that? :) I'll probably take it somewhere to see if that's what it is. We never really pushed it at all, and haven't used it a ton. My old sony one lasted 5+ years and was still going strong. We just wanted a new one with HDMI hookups, or we'd still be using it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, is the sub dead? Or the AVR?

No reason, temporarily, you can't change the main channel to "full range" till you fix the subwoofer problem.

To "bypass the amp", remove it and disconnect it from the driver itself(this whole process with a regular screwdriver should take 5 minutes. 2-3 minutes with a power screwdriver).

If you have the "new amp" on hand...there are two ways to wire it...

1. Cut the internal power cord inside, splice it to the wires leading to the driver(cut the plug off the other end and hook it to the new amp)
2. Run a new piece of wire.

The entire process should take 10 minutes.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And before you ask..."Can you really use a 'power cord' as speaker wire...???"

My main theater's center speaker wire is from an iron that broke(as in yes, in a prior life the cord carried juice off the wall to iron my shirts)
Living room theater the center speaker wire is from a coffee pot that died.
My office subwoofer is powered by an external amp. The wire? The original power cord from the subwoofer from the days the amp did work.

Whenever I have an appliance die, the first thing I do before chucking it in the trash is cut the cord off. My bedroom theater main wires are from an Electrolux vacuum(cause you know how long those cords are).

MattB101

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
If it turns out that the amp bit the dust you can consider replacing the amp. Parts Express sells reasonably priced plate amps from several different manufacturers. Good prices, nice amps, and great support. No I am not connected to them in any way.Sent from my recliner. Retired Navy E-8

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks