What's new

Death Metal/Black Metal. I don't get it? (1 Viewer)

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
In Flames, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodam, Trail of Tears, Callenish Circle, and Siebengurgen to name a few good bands.

I admit, most are Swedish Noreigan goth metal bands, but they still rock!

Judas Priest still rules my roost, though.

I recommend Amon Amarth's Versus the World release (Disc One is better than Two IMO).

Jason

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

Chuck Schuldiner of DEATH is widely considered the "father" of death metal (and he was like, 16 at the time he started the band). I only mentioned DARK ANGEL because they were part of a package tour at the time (1987), but, yes, they were definitely more thrash than death metal. Great bunch of guys, though, I went to the singer's wedding, and I would crash at Gene Hoglan's house when I would visit L.A.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Don,

I know Death are considered pioneers of death metal, I guess that's why I find it ironic that most death metal I hear doesn't sound like Death to my ears. When I think of Death I tend to think of their later records like Human, Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic, which to me were almost progressive thrash/death. Although who can forget "Pull the Plug"!

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

Check out IN FLAMES, CHILDREN OF BODOM, or DARK TRANQUILITY, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I think CHILDREN OF BODOM are probably the most "fun" band this genre has ever produced...you can find TONS of free legal MP3s at their label's website...

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Speaking of black/death metal, I just read on Blabbermouth that Thomas "Quorthon" Forsberg of BATHORY passed away June 7.

I had no idea that Jonas Akerlund (director of vids for METALLICA and CARDIGANS, as well as the film "Spun") was a member of BATHORY. Of course, it does explain why the kid from "Almost Famous" is watching a BATHORY clip while he's zonked on meth in "Spun."

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Hey Don,

Thanks for all the info. I've checked out some recent In Flames clips and I'm definitely hearing some of the Korn influences that seem to have polarized their fan base. What do you think is a good start record for them?

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

I'm new to IN FLAMES myself...the only CD I own is the newest "Soundtrack to Your Escape." I've heard "Whoracle" is their masterpiece.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Death rules.

Chuck was one of the finest guitarists ever to walk the earth.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
grew up with the stuff in the 80's and still love it.
some of you need to hang out on Ultimate Metal Forum

Basically it is a site with official band forums ... the cool thing about it is that on most of them, the band members themselves chime in discussions.

Death/Black Metal is a very misunderstood genre.

Nathan Gillmore

Stunt Coordinator
"There is more melody throughout one ARCH ENEMY song than there is in CANNIBAL CORPSE's entire catalog."

Ack, I say! I nearly choked when I read that, I'm sorry but you either have never listened to CC or are just against them for other reasons. Cannibal Corpse has some of the most tight, and varied, death metal music out there. The guys in the band are true musicians, not like most of these nu metal posers that only know one cord.

Now, having got that off my chest, Arch Enemy does indeed rock, and are one of my fav newer metal bands, and that chick does rock! I just had to defend CC, as they are often persecuted for their twisted sense of humor (as someone else mentioned, a quick look at their song titles reveals this!).

Anyhoo, I've been a metal head since like 7th grade, bobbing my head along with the likes of Venom, Deicide, and others. I was basically alone in my love for it, being the uber computer nerd with glasses. The stoner contingent at my school (like 2 guys, I went to a small school) always made fun of me when I'd ask them if they'd heard the latest Slayer track. However, my love for all things fast and hard never died.

I agree with all of the arguments against the "Grover-on-crank" or "Cookie Monster" vocals, it took me quite a while to learn to like it, but after I did it was like a barrier broke and suddenly it made sense, or rather the music did, for that's really what metal is about to me, the music. Some bands, particularly nowadays, have zero music talent and instead just hammer the drums as fast as they can while the guitarists, etc. alternate between 2 chords, all the while the "singer" is flaying his vocal cords. There are some really good ones though, as mentioned above, like Dimmu, Arch Enemy, CC, Deicide.

As for being too old, I'm just about 30 and I'll never stop listening to metal, that's for sure.

Nate

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

Sorry...didn't mean to offend any CANNIBAL CORPSE fans out there, and honestly, I haven't heard a THING they've done since their Metal Blade days, so I shouldn't have used them as an example.

What I was actually trying to say was a lot of this newer "death" metal is some of the most melodic music I've ever heard in my life. It's truly come a long way. I can play ARCH ENEMY, C of B, IN FLAMES, and a slew of other bands for people who HATE metal in general, and everyone will agree that these bands are not "three-chord, talentless hacks."

ARCH ENEMY was the band that got me back into so-called "extreme" music, all because of their song "Burning Angel" (I think it's still available as a free MP3 on their label's website). I just couldn't believe how MELODIC and CATCHY the guitar solo was!

I just ordered some more CHILDREN OF BODOM cds and the DARK TRANQUILLITY DVD. If this thread continues, I'm gonna go broke.

On a more melodic-metal note, I can't WAIT for the BLIND GUARDIAN DVD!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing an Arch Enemy video. They have a great hook with a chick singer, but she's the real deal and the song sounded pretty solid.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
ARCH ENEMY are incredible live, too. I saw them open for SLAYER last year (my first SLAYER show since "South of Heaven"), and the fact they were opening was my deciding factor in going to the show..I just wanted to see if Angela Gossow could cut it live...I certainly wasn't disappointed...that gal REALLY knows how to stalk the stage...

Broadman, I'm DYING to hear your reaction/opinion of CHILDREN OF BODOM...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I admit to not liking most Death metal. I find the genre too limiting.

I fanatically love Death though and also like Obituary(World Demise being their best IMHO).

Im more of a Thrash guy :)

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah, I forgot about Obituary. Thanks for reminding me JonZ. I've got the gold CD of the bands album Cause of Death. I might also add that Cause of Death has one of the coolest album covers ever! (in my opinion)

Brion

Greg Black

Second Unit

I would say that Clayman is the most accesible album; it's the most straight-forward 'metal' release they've made. Reroute To Remain ushered in the clean vocals during choruses, and completely clean on two of the songs, which some fans hate but others like myself found to be very refreshing. Whoracle is my personal favorite, due to the intricacies of the guitar work and the best use of melody in the music, IMO. Colony is the bridge between what you hear in Whoracle and what came later in Clayman. Soundtrack To Your Escape is the latest release, and brings about another evolution of their sound. It's very good. As is what I consider their real first album (although not technically true), The Jester Race. Most of the die-hard fans love that album the most. Has the most folk inspired guitar parts on it of any In Flames album. Very nice, but the production isn't quite as polished as the later albums, but still very good.

Also, as has been mentioned in this thread, I would wholeheartedly recommend Arch Enemy's Wages Of Sin to any person getting started in the Melodic Death scene, because of it's absolutely beautfiul riffs, melodies, solos, and some of the best drumming you'll ever likely hear. You probably won't believe it's a woman singing the vocals the first few times you listen to it either. :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
You fans of Black/Morbid Metal might want to "look" ;)for a rather underground 80's band called Saint Vitus, they were around from 84 up to 94. They could be best described as Punk Doom Metal...VERY SLOW at times and their first singer, Scott Reagers, had an odd interest in Zombies:
"I'm a Zombie!
My skin is now peeling away!
I'm a Zombie!
My insides have died........and turned GREY!"
:D ;)

..but when the second singer, Wino, joined the band in 85 things got a little more mainstream (I.E. less Zombies) but no less morbid.

Either you'll love them or hate them but I personally am always interested in discovering bands I've never heard of so I thought perhaps some of you guys would too.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

I picked up their album a while ago, actually, I thought I wrote something...
Anyway, they're pretty fun, good driving music. Some enjoyable riffs, and the keyboards are hokey but add some great color.

Metal has not been occupying my musical interests much, so I don't know when I'll be getting more, but I wouldn't mind grabbing up Bodom's best work.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm going to throw out another band, which I've only heard a couple of songs, but I'm quite impressed with so far, Orphaned Land. Death metal, but quite melodic, maybe moreso than Opeth. They also have some Middle-Eastern influneces. I recommend tracking them down.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks