What's new

Death Metal/Black Metal. I don't get it? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think labels in general can limit the appeal to newcomers, but "what style of metal do you play" is usually one of the first questions I'm asked. I suppose having genres is okay, but any of the artists that I seem to like don't fall into one category, they define themselves. The sad thing is that too many younger fans haven't discovered where all these new genres came from. I would cite Motorhead, Accept or Priest as the originators of the whole speed genre (although they weren't exclusive to one style), or Sabbath as the grandfathers of doom, black etc metal. But it goes back further than than, and a lot of the original music is still the best IMO.

raptuous

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Hello all,

My first post on here and thought this was a good start since the reason I signed up was I'm trying to help my pathetic home stereo situation. 90% of what I listen to is Black Metal although I've been around long enough that it's been a steady progression from when I first heard Twisted Sister on the radio to my first Megadeth cassette, then Slayer, then my first CD which was also Slayer, Napalm Death in University lead to a Carcass and Deicide concert. Things plateaued with Death metal and I got into a lot of other genres (Fear Factory being the only lasting one) and then I found Black Metal and have been devoted for the last fifteen years.

I don't think anyone who's never felt some kind of draw to darker music would get the genre. It's a need to constantly need something faster, heavier, angrier, more intense, more diverse, more original, more extreme that attracts most Black metal listeners. To the uninitated the vocals will just be incomprehensible noise, to my anyway it becomes another instrument, one used to help convey a mood first, and with repeated listens a message.

Now to an actual question: I've got a Luxman preamp, Parasound 250 watt two channel power amp and (what I'm guessing is my problem) a pair of Definitive Technology BP 2002 speakers. Any faster musical passages have the entire midrange sounding like mud, the highs just screech and there's no left of right definition. Of course I like my music really loud.

What would you suggest for a good speaker to handle the fast stuff clearly? I mean it's so bad right now plugging the MP3 player into the auxillary jack of a rental car sounds better.

Sorry for the long first post.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
I know nobody really likes it, but i actually like the deep bree bree pig squeel vocals (think early job for a cowboy, dispised icon

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'm a big 'Black Metal' fan...never really like 'Death Metal' though.

My liking of 'Black Metal' sits badly with my liberal social values though (note I said liberal social values, not liberal political/protection of country values).

I am so torn about all these guys.

For example take the"Nordic Metal: A Tribute to Euronymous" CD.

I hate the fact this CD in the liner notes hails 'the mighty warrior' (LOL!!!) 'Faust' for his cold blooded murder of a Homosexual (he's also now out of prison early, poncing around in various groups and on music shows looking like the prick he is) and some of the supposed beliefs and attitudes are as laughable as they are down right scary.

And for all their anti-Christian, often pro-White, stance it amazes me they act so Homophobic as that to me smacks of something truly devout Muslims, Catholics, Jews and Christians, who they supposedly hate, would agree with!
I guess they do indeed lack a sense of humour than, as they fail to see the amusing irony.

BUT...I love the music (first and most importantly!) and I love the image.
And I agree on much of their anti-Christian Church stance (I dislike ALL organised religions with a passion in fact) and the conquering and destruction it did to traditional beliefs and cultures and I like the whole idea of cold, frosted northern lands and ancient realms.

Such a shame though that so much of this true Black Metal scene is steeped in such mixed message, generally racist and homophobic, clothes.
Surely an anti-Church stance, a national pride for your history and culture and a love of the dark and the misanthropic does not have to carry such (painfully moralistic and Godly actually) Homophobia and love of real life violence?

AGH! I'm torn indeed, and perhaps just as hypocritical as them.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by JonZ

"The irony to me is that a lot of the people who call rap "noise", are actually fan of this type of thing"

This genre also has some of the best musicians you will ever hear. The drummers are especially talented. But as someone who plays guitar some of guitarists in this genre are beyond exceptional.I mentioned Chuck Schuldiner before and I dont care what anyone says, the man was a God who belongs up there with the great guitarists known to music. He didnt just bash out riffs but had a technical ability that raised him above the rest(and he never took a lesson in his life)

I think most death metal is crap. But its like anything else, and theres some really good stuff out there as well.

There are a few rap artists I do like (The Beasties,Public Enemy)but for the most part,Im not a rap fan. When they start playing their own music and stop sampling Ill reevaluate it.
I think this pretty much sums up any genera of music out there.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Never been too big a fan of Death Metal. I guess Rigor Mortis falls into that category(or maybe thrash), and I love them(The Freaks E.P. is pretty amazing). I think Thrash Metal is much better. Bands like: Atrophy, Meliah Rage, Megadeth(through Rust in Peace) Anthrax, Sacred Reich, S.O.D., Vermacht, Overkill just to name a few. Guess there isn't too big a difference between Thrash/Death metal except the vocals and tone of the group.

Check this out:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks