What's new

Deadliest Catch (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/de...eats%7Ctribune
Is anyone watching this new show on Discovery? My wife and I have caught the past 2 episodes and I gotta tell ya, it's a pretty sweet show.
Watching what these guys go through to make a (considerable) buck is pretty intense. The story follows 5 or so fishing boats off of Alaska during the crab seasons. They have already had 1 ship sink, killing 5 men with another man going overboard on a seperate ship (on the same day, I think) that didn't make it. That's not the kind of job I think I could handle.
It's gives some pretty good insight into the industry itself. I had no idea the actual ships were as high-tech as they are. Tons of computer equipment, radar systems, fancy GPS. Pretty cool stuff.
I also find it pretty interested that the Coast Guard always seems to be around during the season. They seem to be taking a very pro-active approach in keeping them safe (as possible).

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Shawn, I have been watching the show since the beginning. You missed the first 5 or so episodes that show the first crab run in October. This is the 2nd and seeming more disasterous run. Yes, the coast guard has a base on a small island where they fish and that saves a lot of time in reaching them in an emergency. That job seems like you need to have a lot of stamina and steel cajones. ;)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I've watched most of season 2 and have just realized that new episodes have started.

I haven't watched any of the new episodes, but can anyone tell me if they've explained why they aren't following the Rollo this year? Could it be they only list the boats that are contained in the episode?

Not that I particularly care about the crew of the Rollo; I wasn't too impressed with the captain on that boat, and was actually trying to see if perhaps it was something through his actions why the Rollo isn't being chronologed this season.

LewB

Screenwriter
I love this show and don't miss an episode.
Not sure why the Rollo doesn't seem to be one of the boats the cameras are on anymore. The promos before the season started said 'new boats and crews'.
There are forums on the Discovery site, maybe an explanation can be found there.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Cool. Thanks for that. I knew the Discovery Channel had a forum for their shows but hadn't taken the time to look at it for Deadliest Catch.

I find it interesting that more than half of the topics there are about Blake. He's alright, but I find the CM and the Northwestern more interesting crews.

LewB

Screenwriter
KevinGress said:
Cool. Thanks for that. I knew the Discovery Channel had a forum for their shows but hadn't taken the time to look at it for Deadliest Catch.
I find it interesting that more than half of the topics there are about Blake. He's alright, but I find the CM and the Northwestern more interesting crews.
I'm with you. You would figure that Rick (former Maverick capt.) would have given Blake his spots and his reasons for going there since Rick is still the owner of the boat AFAIK.
I too am a Northwestern/Hansen Brothers fan. Sig impresses me as one of those people who would succeed at anything he did. The pride that they show in being fishermen is quite evident.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I just started watching this show right before this season started - thanks to a marathon on Discovery - and I really enjoy it. Kind of surprising, because I never thought it would be my thing, but I find it really fascinating stuff. Possibly because yeah, it's reality tv, basically, but it seems a lot more "real" to me than some. And it's so intense sometimes, like when the boat capsized this season, or the one from last season where the rogue wave hit. That was amazing to watch. (And scary.) Sometimes I can't believe that these are just guys that are doing their jobs, and it's not mean to be like over the top or tv-special-esque or anything, that's just how it is doing something like this. I could so never manage anything like it. And certainly not for the weeks that they're out on these boats.

I have to confess, I like Blake. I think that the sort of subplot about him growing into being a captain this year will prove very interesting, because he is the one that has considerably less experience leading. I wonder if its his inexperience that makes him do things like tell everyone else the very tips that he was told not to share?

Did anyone catch how the man overboard thing happened exactly this week? What boat was that? I think I must have missed something.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I have to confess, I like Blake.
Oh, I don't have a problem with Blake, like some of the posters on Discovery's forums, and I agree it will be interesting to see how he grows into the position this season, and beyond, but Sig/Phil's crews are just more interesting to me. And I agree with LewB, Sig has shown that he's got the drive and the smarts to succeed in any venture he found himself in.

I started watching the show because I found what these men did so fascinating - battling the wind, rain, ice, and long hours in order to possibly make a lot of money in a short time. Sometimes I thought I could hack it on a boat, but this year I'm more sure that I couldn't. Something you'd have to grow up in, I think.

Anyways, I love the structure of the show.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'll watch this whenever I catch it on TV. I've always liked shows like this when I can watch a show and miss a couple and not be completely lost. Sometimes like other shows like 24, Alias, Survivor, you miss a show and you're a fish outta water ;)
Also, Mike Rowe, from Dirty Jobs is the narrator so that is cool too.
Jay

Brent T

Second Unit
Sid Rules !!
My wife and I got hooked on this show two years ago and now we cant stop watching it. I love to do offshore fishing but what these guys do is just nuts. Last nights episode proves how these guys have a screw loose but when it matters most they are all right there to help one another out. Great episode !

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Oh, I know I could never hack it on one of those boats, so my hat is certainly off to those guys. It impresses me not only that they do all the things they do, day in and day out, but that they still are full of love and appreciation for it - it's their job, yes, but it's not JUST their job, if that makes sense? I think the culture of the boats is so interesting.
Regarding Blake, I think give him some time and he'll prove to be a very good captain, he's just young, and doesn't have as much experience as someone like Sig or Phil. I think he will grow into the role though, as I get the impression that he loves what he does.
I'm so relieved that they found the guy that went overboard and he was okay. I know that this is a dangerous profession, but sometimes I guess I forget that, and think that it's just a show, and that stuff like that doesn't happen on tv shows, you know?
Oh, and for the Sig fans, he was on The Daily Show this week:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I just caught that incident... Mighty damm lucky! The show never really showed what was going on in the boat that the guy fell overboard from, I bet they owe the CM a might fine reward now..

Jay

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Watch a ton of TV but I wasn't aware of the series until this thread was resuscitated. I was able to catch five episodes over the last few days and now I'm hooked.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Resurrecting the thread for this season rather than add to RIP thread. Even though the format is getting tired I am enjoying the season so far. The addition of two new boats and skippers are a welcome change of pace. As usual Keith Colburn continues to demonstrate his winning management style.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I accidentally bumped the "RIP" thread and didn't realize you had recently bumped this thread. I'll stay here now. Great season so far. Really good episode last night with Opi season beginning. Found an interesting statement from the Cornelia Marie's new skipper here:

http://www.corneliamarie.com/featured/new-cm-capt-crew-for-opies/

One question I'd still love to hear an answer to is how did things get resolved between the show and the Hillstrand brothers before the King Crab run began for this season? I had read that they left the show after last season, but obviously they are back. Anybody know the scoop?

Still love this show.

Peace,

DM

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Dave Miller

One question I'd still love to hear an answer to is how did things get resolved between the show and the Hillstrand brothers before the King Crab run began for this season? I had read that they left the show after last season, but obviously they are back. Anybody know the scoop?

Still love this show.

Peace,

DM
While I don't know any details I'm sure $$$$ was able to fix it :)

I haven't watched this show for years, but caught the last two episodes and enjoyed them, so I'll keep watching.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I don't know that there's many details out there floating about, since it was a court case. But I do know that Sig quit the show late last year in support of the Hilstrands, so I'm betting that between 2 major fan favorite boats (and the Northwestern's been on back when it first started as a miniseries), Discovery felt it best to settle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks