What's new

Daniel Boone - Decent Quality? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary,

10-4 on Bob's "thanks". You already know that this one's a tough call for me since I know you guys are right about this being the best chance to pick up the show at that price. The only reason that I'm on the fence about this one is that this show wasn't one of my favorites back then. It's a great family show but for some reason it wasn't on my favorite list.

Jeff "These calls on an unbeatable deal are hard" W.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Gary,

You have to be one of the most persuasive member of this forum. Last year, you've convinced me to buy Father Knows Best. Your advocacy of Rawhide here caused me to buy the first three seasons during Amazon's sale earlier this month. And now, I've just bought this Daniel Boone bundle, thanks to your (and Paul Mavis') recommendation.

Heaven knows when I'll find the time to actually watch them. :laugh:

(Anyway, even if I don't like the show, they should appreciate in value as they go OOP.)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Thanks, Tim. Glad to have helped out a fellow vintage fan. I know I picked up RAWHIDE initially due to others encouraging me, so we all benefit from one another with this hobby.

Gary "I still can't get over the price of this bundle" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary, I must say that I am impressed with CBD. I just placed the order yesterday with them, guessing that they wouldn't process on Sunday. I received an E-mail from them at 9:48 a.m. this morning, informing me that the DB sets have shipped. On top of that, they included UPS 2-day shipping at no extra charge. So, in addition to a great price on this set, it also looks like great service from this vendor. Thanks, again!!!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Jeff Willis-

I agree with Gary O on this one. I believe the company that released DANIEL BOONE is out of business and all of these seasons are destined to join the first one and go out-of-print sooner or later. Right now even the secondary markets are selling this show relatively cheaply for the individual seasons, though nothing as cheap as this $10 per season deal, which is incredible. Eventually what's going to happen is that it will begin to sell out everywhere and then the prices will start to climb back up to collector's levels.

A similar situation occurred with Image's release of NAKED CITY, which I bought at a big sale at Amazon for $12 each. Within six months Image lost the rights to license the show and everyone sold out on it. I watched my copies and re-sold them for $125-$150 per set. It's funny, but once something goes out-of-print suddenly everyone wants it!

I don't think any of the seasons of DANIEL BOONE sold particularly well, so this is indeed a rare opportunity to sample nearly a complete series at only $10 per season. That's over 25 episodes per season of an hour length series, almost all in pristine transfers.

At the very least the series is entertaining and highly watchable, but at the very best it can be riveting and as complexly drawn as any 1960's era drama. Admittedly, I've only watched the first season thus far, but I have found it to be, on the whole, well written, acted and directed, with compelling stories and substantial character development, the latter always holding particular appeal for me. I also happen to enjoy period settings more now than when I was a child, especially the pre-Revolutionary War period of American history, which this series skirts by taking place initially in 1775. Add to that the fact that this show, which is essentially a dramatic representation of real times and real people, had a technical adviser to make sure they got at least some stuff right and for me that makes it even more compelling.

$50 is still a lot of money, especially in this economy we are mired in at present, but as it stands, this is one of the best deals for TV on DVD that I've ever seen. I know you, Jeff, and I think this is one you shouldn't pass up.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm glad to see that the show got its full run out which can't be said of a lot of shows of this era that lasted as long as Boone did. Had Fox, the studio that originally produced the show still controlled DVD rights you can be darned certain it *never* would have had its full run out.

I'm part way through S3 in terms of what I've seen and I agree the first season is the best. In S2, part of the shift away to a more family friendly version was to totally disregard *any* pretense of maintaining a consistent timeframe. You will in the course of S2-3 see some episodes that are set in the pre-1776 period (which is where S1 kept things consistently) then suddenly a few weeks later there'll be an episode dealing with Washington as President in 1789, another dealing Aaron Burr attempting to initiate his plan to seceed western territory from the US which was in 1804 and another week we're back to 1776! And through it all Daniel and the principals remain unchanged in age.

The dropping of Veronica Cartwright from the cast after S2 as Daniel's daughter Jemima I think was another mistake the series made.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
This from a similar thread over at DVD TALK:

If the price and free shipping weren't enough, 10% off $35 with coupon code "289107tr" making it just $44.99 shipped.

Might be worth a try at making a great deal even greater. A day late and a dollar short for me though and makes me wonder how I missed it during that half-hour search for coupon codes before I made my purchase. :laugh:

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
$49.99 deal is dead as of this morning; the sets are back up to $79.99 . . . . still not a bad deal, but not the monster deal of the last several days.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary, "Point-Blank" ,

Thanks for the posts & advice on this one but I decided to pass. No regrets but I appreciate the help with this one and the info about CBT that helped others decide on getting the sets.

I passed for a couple of reasons but agree that it's a great classic family show and for any fan of this one, that deal was an easy call.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

No problem Jeff. As we've all been saying, the economic crunch has to make many of us be very cautious with any purchase, not matter how much the discount. I actually pulled the trigger on a set from Amazon about a week ago because it was 50% retail, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it wasn't a set I really needed. Once it got to my door I turned right around and sent it back without even opening it. It was a $49.97 purchase and I just want to save my money for series that I absolutely know I will love and watch again and again. This show wasn't going to be one of those, so it went back.

Gary "I'm trying really hard to be extra prudent with my purchases nowadays" O.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

So far I have watched the first 2 episodes of Daniel Boone Season 1. I enjoyed them and I thought the Video and audio quality are both real good. CBD shipped the tapes quickly and I got them less than a week after ordering them. Also, I went ahead and ordered Daniel Boone Season 6 from DeepDiscountDVD. So now I have the complete series and I am looking forward to watching them. I saw on danielboonetv.com where there were some problems with Disc 1 of Season 6 of Daniel Boone. They have a link on their website where you can email Liberation Entertainment and they will send you a replacement disc. They sent me a replacement disc in less than a week. Great customer service by Liberation Entertainment. Thanks again Gary!

Take Care!

Robert

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I also want to thank Gary for the heads up on the Daniel Boone Season 1-5 set from CBD. I got this at the Fabulous Friday sale price and have been working through the set starting with Season 1. The video quality of Season 1is variable, but very watchable to me.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

It was my pleasure guys. I'm always happy when I can be of any help in encouraging people to take part in great deals for good shows. And boy, if ever there was a great deal, this one was it. I can't think of anything else that I've ever seen that offered that much of a deal on multiple season sets. It was truly incredible.

The first season A/V is a tad off when compared with many other vintage series released by studios like CBS/Paramount. But I can promise you that once you move into Season 2 you're going to be very, very pleased with the A/V quality.

Gary "this series has always been underrated - but I'm here to say it's top notch as far as I'm concerned" O.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
On the 4th episode on Disc 1 the disc stops at the 38 minute mark and will not play anymore. The episode is Lac Duquesne on Disk 1 Season 1 of Daniel Boone. The Chapter time total only shows 38 minutes. The episode should be 50 minutes total. I have a Sony Blu-Ray Player. I also tried it on my Toshiba DVD Recorder and the same thing happens. I cannot watch the final 12 minutes. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone help me find out what I can do so I can see this entire episode?

Thanks!

Robert

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

While maybe not properly noted this appears to be a known issue across all sets and is source based not transfer based. I read some where that they used the best source available to them and even though it is not complete they decided to include it rather then exclude it. This is apparently the only such flaw, so your set is fine so far.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

I had the same issue. I put the disc on my computer and the file for this episode is shown as 38:15. There was no other file for the remaining time for this episode. I saw on Amazon that the episode is available for downloading and it shows the time for the episode as 50 minutes. I don't know if that is accurate, though. Has anybody downloaded the episode from Amazon?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

While I haven't watched it yet, this is my understanding that it is just a truncated episode on the disk. From what I read, it doesn't freeze up but just ends at the 38 minute mark and jumps back to the episode menu.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Hey Willard did you get to watch the entire 50 minutes of episode 4 Lac Duquesne? Where did you get your disc from?

Thanks!

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks