What's new

Dangerous Assignment? (1 Viewer)

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I haven't found any yet - but I went ahead and picked up the complete series set from Infinity. I owned a couple pd discs before and never saw any clean episodes from the series - until this. The quality of the episodes is very good, great sharpness, contrast, and most importantly they look to be complete unedited episodes (unlike my copies of Passport to Danger).

I really have enjoyed revisiting this series (Donlevy really makes it) and to have all of the episodes is really convenient. No subs or cc if that is an issue for you (it is for me), but the quality is really great.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
thanks. that's all the reviews I'll need. I really appreciate your comments. I'll be ordering this immediately!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I have the two previous volume releases from Infinity Entertainment's predecessor, Critics Choice Video, and so I am assuming that the transfers are identical. For an early 1950s show, the transfer is so good that you can see the string on which a knife rides past Brian Donlevy's face in the opening title sequence.

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
On the WHAT'S YOUR BEST BLIND BUY OF TV ON DVD? thread, I posted the following:

BEST Blind Buy: Has to be DANGEROUS ASSIGNMENT, which was an incredible value considering what you get, a complete series in two volumes with beautiful transfers of uncut episodes. I managed to get both volumes for about $10 each. Of course, as with any primitive media, the show itself is a bit hokey, maybe even more than a bit at times, but it's always entertaining and as a student of spies in popular culture, it's an amazing find, given that it is TV's first spy series.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Bob,

Thanks for that heads up. I just bought it! I know nothing about the series, but for that price I had to have it.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Doug, I can't say that "Dangerous Assignment" is a great series, but it's an enjoyable time passer. One has to view this series within the context of the time that it was made . . . . post World War II, early 1950s when the Cold War was starting to heat up . . . . it's one of the earliest secret agent series made for television and, in fact, was originally a radio series (like many early television shows). It's a fairly low budget affair and I'm sure a good chunk of the budget went to star Brian Donlevy, but you do see guest stars who were transitioning from B-movies into TV at the time like Hugh Beaumont (later of "Leave it to Beaver"). Considering that it was a filmed series from the early 1950s, the transfers look very, very good. I'm sure that you'll get much more entertainment value for this 5-disc set than the $6 you invested (I'm guessing that it probably costs DD at least $1.50 to ship it, for goodness sakes).

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Yea, for $6 it is hard to pass up. Starting last week I put all DVD purchasing on hold because I have way too much unwatched material as it is. I guess that didn't last long. Ok, starting next week no more DVD purchases, for real.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Color me surprised..."Dangerous Assignment" has cracked Deep Discount's Top Ten DVD list.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I'm actually more surprised that the set is still in stock at that price. Many of the titles that are shown in the DD dollar sales are only available in limited quantities and when they sell out of their allotment, you're out of luck. I tried getting some OOP public domain titles from the old Critics Choice line ("Make Room for Daddy" and "Love That Bob") for $3 each and they were gone. The only DVD that I managed to get that was in-stock was the theatrical "Zulu Dawn" for $5. I suspect that "Dangerous Assignment" was a poor seller for DD until they dramatically dropped the price for this sale.

Incidentally, DD also has Infinity's first collection of "Bozo the Clown" for $7 shipped. Not my cup of tea, but for those looking for a real bargain, here 'ya go (and it's still in stock) . . . .

Movies Top Sellers - Bozo-collection 1

They also have a couple of seasons of "Father Murphy" for $9 each as well as a few of "PeeWee's Playhouse" available as well for $9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks