What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (2 Viewers)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
ABC Late Night: The Comedians, “Stanley Kramer’s Reunion with the Great Comedy Artists of Our Time.” (1974)
Hosted and moderated by Stanley Kramer. In-studio guests are Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Jonathan Winters. Executive producer Stanley Kramer. Roundtable discussion of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World with clips. Program also includes a segment where Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, and Jonathan Winters perform dramatic readings of scenes from Kramer's films: Caesar as Captain Queeg from The Caine Mutiny (1954); Hackett as Cyrano de Bergerac (from the 1950 film); Winters as Willy Loman from Death of a Salesman (1951).
This special from the Stanley Kramer Collection would make a great special feature to included in this forth coming release. Can you imagine the three of these comedian's doing serious scenes from some of Kramer's noted works. Anything with Jonathan is going to be gold.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Joe Lugoff said:
I use Wikipedia all the time. I even make "corrections" to it (at least, I hope they're corrections). But when I see a sentence like this, I have to wonder: "Several people on the Home Theater Forum have stated that the release is comming, however, and for people to be patient." Yes, Wikipedia is the "big time" for the Internet, but it's not exactly the Encyclopedia Britannica.
Typos like comming instead of coming drive me crazy. I created an account and fixed two of these in the HTF paragraph and sentence.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I am constantly getting zinged on my Facebook page for calling this the Greatest. Movie. Ever. And you know what? That's fine. In the greater scheme of things, it's still just a movie, and I judge no one for not agreeing with me on this or any other topic.

Mike S.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Joe Lugoff said:
But 100 minutes is a full length movie in itself. I don't understand this. Why did they film so much? Were they intending to release a five hour movie? Of course not. So why go to the time and expense of doing it when they knew so much would be removed? Are all movies made that way? I know they're not. My favorite line in your answer was this:"All of which can be made available to you." I'd like to see what you called the "final line script." How can I? Thanks for whatever you can do.
It is not unusual for first cuts to be immensly long and contrary to IAMMMMW other movies have been shortened much more than their maker wanted them to be shortened.Two high profile examples of directors who had this issue more than once are Erich von Stroheim and Sam Peckinpah. Another movie that famously was to be intended at some point to come out as two movies was the 1962 version of Cleopatra, it would have had two parts of about 3 hours each and eneded up at one movie with a runtime of roughly 4 hours - you do the math as to how much was cut.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
cadavra said:
I am constantly getting zinged on my Facebook page for calling this the Greatest. Movie. Ever. And you know what? That's fine. In the greater scheme of things, it's still just a movie, and I judge no one for not agreeing with me on this or any other topic.

Mike S.
That's why I never proclaim anything to be the "best" or "greatest." I just say it's my "favorite."* That's an inarguable fact. Of course, I still get put down and made fun of for it because I didn't say The Shawshank Redemption or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, I guess.

*Actually, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is my second most favorite movie of all time. I know you don't care, but I'm just saying.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
cadavra said:

Mike S.
Mike,

Are you telling us that you think IAMMMMW is greater than "Sh! the Octopus?" High praise indeed!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
rmw650 said:
Let's just hope for an announcement real soon on this and it's all what we hope this newest and special release is going to turn out to be, not only to make a lot of us fans of the movie happy and excited about the potential release, but at the same time to prevent Joe Lugoff from going off the deep end and causing himself a heart attack and going insane at the same time. We should know something soon, as Ron has been alluding to.
Maybe tomorrow...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
If it is announced tomorrow, what is the earliest it could be released? January?Sigh.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yes Steve, announcements made this month are for January releases. They usually don't release anything the first Tuesday of a month (which is the seventh) so the potential dates are: 1/141/211/28

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Well we always know the date of an announcement, it's always the 15th - unless it falls on a weekend then it's either the Friday or Monday nearest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks