What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Not sure who Dave Woodman of cinema retro.com is but here is an interesting quote regarding a possible IAMMMMW Box set from Criterion:
When asked if there's anything else he might add, Dave said, "Criterion has hired me to create a map of locations for their box set release of this movie and last night Karen Kramer gave me permission to reveal that the 50th anniversary Cinerama Dome screening of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World will take place on October 27th. The Dome itself was built to showcase this movie.".

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
My feeling is that no one should get their hopes set too high - there is no way for any set to meet such high expectations. It will be a superb set, that much is probably obvious. But be patient and all will be revealed in time. Let it be a nice surprise and if it's not every possible thing that people are dreaming about if you don't fantasize then the reality will be sweet. If you do fantasize and hope for the moon and you don't quite get the moon, then all we're going to do is read post after post talking about disappointment.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think at this point it's pretty certain that it will be an extended version of the film since there is already an excellent transfer of the general release version available.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This brings back some good memories from the time when DVDs were beginning to peak with big, elaborate sets. I'm not even a big fan of this film but even I feel giddy about the possibilities for this release. Let the good times roll (again).

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
haineshisway said:
My feeling is that no one should get their hopes set too high - there is no way for any set to meet such high expectations. It will be a superb set, that much is probably obvious. But be patient and all will be revealed in time. Let it be a nice surprise and if it's not every possible thing that people are dreaming about if you don't fantasize then the reality will be sweet. If you do fantasize and hope for the moon and you don't quite get the moon, then all we're going to do is read post after post talking about disappointment.
OK, after reading this, I'm disappointed already.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I will be happy if they just make as much formally edited scenes restored to the movie as possible in better quality than he laserdisc release and have the intermission voice overs.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Michael Rogers said:
I will be happy if they just make as much formally edited scenes restored to the movie as possible in better quality than he laserdisc release and have the intermission voice overs.
The Intermission police calls could be an audio option to play with the fim or as a special feature.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
This thread is going to probably hit 1000 posts before the thing is even announced.What does that tell you about how much people want a proper version of this at long last...

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
For reasons I can't really understand, it seems Mr. Haines knows all about this and reading between his lines I'm thinking we're not going to get a restored original roadshow version, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

To be perfectly honest, if those who are in the know were told not to say anything, I wish they really would not say anything. I can live without all of this "you might be disappointed -- you might not be disappointed -- you might be disappointed a little -- you might be disappointed more than you want to be but not as much as you think you might be" crap.

If there's anything I can't stand, and there are millions of things, but apropos of this, it's when someone is told to keep a secret, but instead of saying absolutely nothing they throw out little tantalizing statements which tell us nothing more than that they know the secret and aren't they special. :angry:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Joe Lugoff said:
For reasons I can't really understand, it seems Mr. Haines knows all about this and reading between his lines I'm thinking we're not going to get a restored original roadshow version, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

To be perfectly honest, if those who are in the know were told not to say anything, I wish they really would not say anything. I can live without all of this "you might be disappointed -- you might not be disappointed -- you might be disappointed a little -- you might be disappointed more than you want to be but not as much as you think you might be" crap.

If there's anything I can't stand, and there are millions of things, but apropos of this, it's when someone is told to keep a secret, but instead of saying absolutely nothing they throw out little tantalizing statements which tell us nothing more than that they know the secret and aren't they special. :angry:
You're funnier than the film :) I don't know how from "reading between the lines" you would make these leaps but if it makes you happy then make them. The only thing that's pertinent and it's hardly "between" the lines is that I think it's going to be a great set. Leap beyond that if you like, but why you feel it necessary to kind of make the same post over and over again - oh, wait - I've got it - you're Milton Berle! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks