What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (3 Viewers)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
David Weicker said:
But how would you split up the profit? Shares?
Well... if you insist.

We give shares for everyone, and everything. We each get 1 share for being 1 person. Then we each get 1 share for being a person who is also a HTF member. Then we give 1 share to the HTF member who came up with the idea (I'm already ahead by 1 share.... Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead?)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
james kroeper said:
All the more reason Robert for someone at MGM/UA (or whatever corporate entity it calls itself these days) to fund a photochemical restoration of this beloved film with you (and Jim Katz) in charge. Yes, the 197 cut is a bit beefy but some crucial material which advanced plot and fleshed out various character's motivations was removed to satisfy exhibitor demands (and UA executives like David Picker). As for the 162min cut it's nothing to be ashamed of, it just begs the question "why was the OCN cut when there was no need to do so". One thing I've learned over these many years tracking down footage, track, and anything else connected to this film is "you never know". Deep down I still think a reel can of trims is sitting waiting to be rediscovered. As always thanks Robert for keeping me in the "loop"!
The OCN was cut because there was no way to create positive prints from the re-edited version without doing so. MGM does not fund restorations.RAH

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
darkrock17 said:
We'll if Criterion has been working on this for a few years now, it's probably going to be the cloests to the originial 192 or 210. They may have all three versions, this could be Criterion's big release of the year jamed pack with all lengths and hours and hours of special features.
I think the 210 minute version was shown at previews only.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
My brother and I tried to find the Big W after seeing the 25th Anniversary screening at the Cinerama Dome in November, 1988. We only knew the general area it was in from a MAD WORLD fan club newsletter we received. At that time the newsletter said two of the three trees were still there. Sadly, we spent half a day searching for it before it got dark. We never did find it. Next time you want to curse the miracle of the internet, just think about how different that day would have been if the internet had existed back then. :(

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
There is no word of any sort about which version or versions will be included or what features will be included until the official announcement.If the film is to be released in November, then we will learn all this information on August 15.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Moe Dickstein said:
There is no word of any sort about which version or versions will be included or what features will be included until the official announcement.If the film is to be released in November, then we will learn all this information on August 15.
Just think, in a little over two weeks, we could know the details!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I severely doubt they would release anything other than the 197 roadshow version if they're not doing the theatrical cut, as that is the only other Kramer approved and released edit. I'd be sure that any other footage would be included outside the film as deleted scenes.

james kroeper

Auditioning
Criterion's upcoming release of "Mad World" will most likely be the last time that this title will be released on blu-ray or DVD. Odds are heavilly stacked against any new transfer, hopefully this release will address issues such as black levels which marred the previous MGM release and can be"tweeked" for this 50th anniversary edition. The strength of this release will be in its supplements which I hope include among them: the Novemer 2nd '63 "Jerry Lewis Show" , Jonathan Winters NBC special "A Long Winters Night" (complete with the 10min "Mad " gag reel. The Canadian Broadcast Corporation 60 minute Jonathan Winters semi-documentary plus various radio & TV spots, teaser & regular trailers (including reissue). I don't know if Criterion will conduct any kind of commentary track (they should) or if they plan on carrying over the 1991 video documentary Something A Little Less Serious" (also a must). I was privy to editor Paul Scrabo's video reel of "Mad World" locations then & now and was mightily impressed. Hopefully someone at Criterion will include this on this anticipated release.

Real Name
William D. Ferry
Well, one week to go...of course if all the "clues" DON'T mean a new release of IAMMMMW, we're ALL going to be awfully embarrassed!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
It really has to include that pre-show song like on the LD. "In France the girls wear Scanties, but on lambchops, they put panties--"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, one week to go...of course if all the "clues" DON'T mean a new release of IAMMMMW, we're ALL going to be awfully embarrassed!
It's coming. You can be assured of that.

But, as has been pointed out, not certain if the exact
planned date will be met so absolute announcement
next week is unknown.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
and I'll add to that - I'd bet my bottom dollar if it ISN'T announced for November next week, it's because they are taking more time to do more work on it which would mean the longer cut for sure. (this is just my personal speculation I have no knowledge)

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I'm late to the party here, as I don't have BR player (yet) but believe this will be one of the best releases of the decade, if true. And here's a little speculative nugget that adds fuel to the fire: writer Mark Evanier hinted on his blog last month that he was working on a secret project which would soon be revealed. Those who follow his blog at www.newsfromme.com know he is a very knowledgeable source and enormous fan of IAMMMMW... He knows a number of the principles involved and is extremely connected in the industry.Here's where he mentions the 'secret project: http://www.newsfromme.com/2013/07/28/mark-is-back-2/And here's just one of his many posts on the film:http://www.newsfromme.com/2012/10/04/how-i-spent-last-evening-4/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks