What's new

console DLP burn-in worries? (1 Viewer)

Howard_A

Stunt Coordinator
I've never used my DLP projector for anything but watching movies. Is there any danger of burn-in from long sessions on a gaming console?
The nature of DLP makes this seem unlikely but I thought I should check with the HTF gurus.

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Howard, I don't believe that there is any concern for burn in on a DLP system. I don't think the light that is being shined on the mirrors can harm the projector. I've seen plenty of the projectors left on for extremely long periods of time with the same image left on in and the projector images still look fine.
Corey
[Edited last by Corey Hancock on November 05, 2001 at 12:04 PM]

James D S

Screenwriter
DLPs do not suffer from burn-in.
LCDs do, to a point, but the process is reversable.
CRTs - you better believe it.

Joe Rigali

Agent
Sorry - if this seems like a stupid question - but what do those mean?

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
DLP=Digital Light Projector
LCD=Liquid Crystal Display
CRT=Cathode Ray Tube
I would still like to hear while a CRT is more prone to burn in. A DVD is a digital source just like a video game console is.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't matter what the source is, it's the nature of the display. CRT uses burning phosphurs to display the image on the screen. If some phosphurs remain on a higher degree color temp (ie- red) longer then the rest then you will see a change in the display.
DLP uses light reflected off micro mirros, no way of burn in there.
People worry about burn in more for videogames since there are static icons on the screen that remain there during gameplay.

Paul Cole

Agent
um..I'm guessing my new Sony big screen falls into this crt category?
You guy's are telling me NOT TO hook an X-Box up to my Sony HS10?! This is very disturbing news...

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
Uh, burn in has nothing to do with color temp. Red, btw is a lower color temp than blue. What we are talking about is simply uneven phosphor wear. The phosphors on a CRT will wear over time, nothing can prevent it. What you wish to avoid, is wearing the same section repeatedly in the same pattern. This will "burn" the image of the pattern into CRT, much like you can wear a groove into carpet by walking in the same path over and over. The thing to remeber is that this is actually hard to do. You have to abuse your CRT to get it to burn. Driving the tube(s) too hard will make burn in occur more quickly. Most TV's come from the factory set in such a state. I would recommend getting Video Essentials or Avia and calibrating the brightness and contrast down to their proper levels. This will prevent burn in unless you leave a static image onscreen for a long period of time (hours in most cases). I have been using crt's to play games for years and I have never seen burn in on a properly calibrated TV, RPTV or CRT projector (I have all three).
------------------
"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

James D S

Screenwriter
Paul,
Don't be too scared. While burn-in is possible, you would have to abuse it to get the image to burn. Some CRT's take weeks for a static image to burn. Just be careful and mindful of what's going on.
A lot of games nowadays allow users to completely remove all stattic info from the playfield. Use this feature when it's available and the tv will never know your playing a video game. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks