What's new

connecting DirecTV to Receiver (1 Viewer)

LilBro

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Okay, I admit it. I'm gretting old and forgetful. I had to tear down my AV setup so we could move the furniture out of the room for new carpeting. Well, when I went to reconnect everything, I forgot how to connect my Kenwood VR-509 receiver so I could run the audio through it. The set up is:

DirecTV cable box
Kenwood VR-509 receiver
Kenwood turntable
Kenwood 7 band Equalizer (for turntable)
Panasonic DVD player
Sharp VCR
Radio Shack Dual Drive casette deck
Toshiba 32" CRT

The DirecTV has coax & S-video out, and RCA cable out. The Panny has toslink out and RCA cable out. The VCR has S-video and RCA cable out. The tape deck is RCA cable only. The TV has S-video and coax in with RCA cable for audio in/out. (You can also turn off the TV speakers, but I don't always like using the receiver for just TV watching.) I can get sound from the TV, but not through the receiver.

I want to be able to switch between the VCR, DVD, and TV audio channels on the receiver. I was able to do that before. The remote switched between DVD, Video1 and Video3. What did I miss?

Should I run the RCA from the sat box to the receiver first and then to the VCR? I have it going from the sat box to the VCR to the receiver.

Thank you all.

PS - If this is double posted, my apologies. I receive a vBulletin error on my first attempt.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Hmm... Despite the thread title “Connecting Direct TV to Receiver,” It looks like you’re trying to connect system?

Connect the VCR’s red and white (audio) outputs to the receiver. Connect the DVD player’s digital output (either coaxial or optical) to the receiver. As far TV audio, see instructions for Direct TV, above.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks