What's new

Cinematic Mulligans - List Five Films You Wish Someone Would Remake (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Anything Goes - While film versions were made in the 1930's and 1950's, neither were close to the original play. If someone made a period style film version of it today, and did it well, you'd easily have one of the greatest musicals.

Metropolis - While the silent version is indeed a masterpiece (as is the loose "inspiration" anime), it would be interesting to see a straight remake, from the original Thea von Harbou novel.

The Thin Man

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

As a confessed Trekker, I'm potentially embarrassed to ask this: eh? IIRC Enterprise-D (Galaxy class) was destroyed in Generations, Enterprise-E (Sovereign class) was still on its shakedown cruise in First Contact, Picard instituted self-destruct when the Borg overran it, but this was countermanded, and... that's it re: destruction of the Enterprise? Or am I really really missing something here?

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
McCabe and Mrs. Miller: I'll probably get roasted for saying this, but I think this could've been a great film in the hands of someone other than Robert Altman. His style of film-making (at least based on this and Nashville) just does not work for me, but I love the location, the cast, the music, and the storyline of this movie and would like to see it done by someone else (Clint Eastwood perhaps).

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Remaking "The Manchurian Candidate" is like remaking "Lawrence of Arabia". How in the world could anyone do it better?

Chris

Senior HTF Member

No, you're not quite correct.. the Borg were in First Contact, where the ship was not destroyed. In Insurrection, the ship crashed onto the idyllic planet as they just bore into the ground.

Josh L

Stunt Coordinator
Star Wars: Episode I - new director, completely remove Jar-Jar, different actor for Anakin, different personality/interests/hobbies for Anakin (none of this building C-3PO crap!), do we really need to see everyone as BABIES?, remove that stupid announcer at the pod race, let the audience get to know Darth Maul (or at least have some bad guy that we can love to hate), less focus on effects and more on story, eliminate all the stupid plot holes and things that make ABSOLUTELY no sense whatsoever in terms of the whole story (eps IV, V & VI).

Star Wars: Episode II - new director, if it must include a love story find some actors that can make me believe they are in love, and mostly the same kind of stuff listed for Episode I. Oh and put N'Sync back in :b (just kidding).

Star Wars: Episode III - (hey if Lucas is directing, I might as well put this here now)

Matrix 2 - complete redo

Matrix 3 - compete redo

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Oops :b so in Nemesis it was the Enterprise F? What class was it?

The fact I don't remember any of this I think kinda highlights how utterly forgettable ST:IX and X are.

(And BTW, Startrek.com doesn't say any of this. Humph.)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Captain Blood - A sophisticated English Doctor treated like shit by an unjust penal system then driven mad by the horrors and rigors of being a slave in the carribbean. The thirties can't do that core concept justice and instead of a fun adventure it could be remade as a dark, nasty, and brutish, reflecting what transforms a man from conformity to complete anarchy.

Hearts in Atlantis - The final film was incredibly frustrating, they came so damn right to nailing it, but at some point Goldman failed yet again to understand the humanity at the heart of the fantastic, humor that's not clever and witty, and characters who act and relate as though they are real and not just filmic icons representing a sort of pseudo reality. The potential is all here, but the screen-writing seriously crippled the heart of the story. I remember being so wonderfully excited on seeing the beautifully realized one sheet, and then horrified at seeing the give-it-all-away trailer and just underwhelmed, dissatisfied, and disapointed on leaving the theatre--but the film is good enough to recommend to familys and good entertainment, but it's not a powerful story :frowning:.

Failan - an incredibly powerful bit of elliptical intimate, passionate filmmaking recently from Korea. Would work beautifully with Benicio del Toro and set on the Border with Mexico.

The Truman Show - A great movie, but I have trouble getting past one initial false premise. Actors and celebrities by and large love attention, they want to be on screen (now you can bring up the paparazzie, but that's a different issue), they put themselves up on this pedestal/alter for the masses to view/worship. So twist the concept just a little bit. Instead of Truman being totally unawares, how bout he's smart, he figured it out years ago, when he was still a kid/teen; but he never told anyone and now that the world is literally falling apart around him he's trying his desparate utmost to do everything to preserve it and keep the only way of life he knows.

Saved! - the filmmakers by and large did a wonderful job. But there were points where they needed a softer hand and less cliche. Where they needed passion and belief in these characters on their part. They need the supporting cast who aren't smart asses to be real people who have personalities that have developed for a reason. And they needed a soundtrack that reflected their movie...
Okay so Cameron Crowe should have made it... j/k. :D:D:D

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Andy, you beat me to it. I was a big fan of the Conan books and was very disappointed with the movie. They didn't even get his hair color right. Maybe the only way to do a Conan the Barbarian movie is with animation, R or NC-17 rated.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator

The Enterprise-E was the ship in First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis. It took quite a beating in all three, but was not destroyed.

The Enterprise-D was crashed into Varidian III in Generations.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
ADAM - Your idea for The Truman Show really is quite interesting. While the original is wonderful, your idea could be a really good film. I would like to see it.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

You're correct. Went back and watched last night. It just seems as though in every film they destroy the thing.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's OK.. I knew it was destroyed in Generations, but had for whatever reason, thought for sure they crashed it in Insurrection into the idyllic planet.. but I guess I was wrong.. they did, however, wreck it into the reman ship in Nemesis, and I -guess- it survived.

Anyway, the whole "let's torture the ship" bit is still over the top boring.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I don't know. I haven't seen theis extra footage (I am very ashamed to say I still haven't picked up the box set) so I can't comment on it. But to me, I like how it is now. It's not that he's a nice guy, he's not, but he was once. That's the tragedy of the Godfather films, it's the downfall of a good man, who genuinely dislikes the family business, becoming the very thing that he hates. In the third film, he's genuinely trying for redemption, trying to make up for all the evil he's inflicted, but ultimately he fails. It's like the good man he once was appears again, but then is subsumed by the man he has become. If we say at the start of the film that it's all a scam, to me that lessens the idea of someone trying to atone for his sins but falling short.

Godfather 3 is a lesser film than 1 and 2, no doubt about it. How could it not be. But to me it is a good film and brings a satisfying conclusion to the story in a way that Michael sitting by the lake didn't.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Michael is *trying* to change throughout the film -- but he can't. His bid for that MNC is a bid to make the family completely legitimate. But as we see, that bid is built on lies and corruption. Michael uses his daughter to unknowingly front a charity that is in truth a money-laundering operation designed to buy the Vatican vote on Immobiliare.

This sin comes home to roost in the climax, which I won't spoil for those who haven't seen the film, but most of you know what I'm referring to.

VinnieJC

Grip
I couldn't agree with Josh more on the Phantom Menace. Drop Jake Lloyd, please, include Darth Maul for more than the 15 minutes he was allotted, replace Liam Neeson with Sean Connery (Liam, great actor- not in a SW film though)and obliterate Jar Jar. That's just the casting mind you.

Others that need a redo:

Planet of the Apes (2001- Tim Burton)- all that great makeup gone to waste.
Matrix Revolutions- I'm still not over this.
The Hulk- A different director and scale back the comic panels a little (please).

DamonG

Auditioning
Mission Impossible 2

Damn, I had high hopes for this after the first one. I like John Woo, but he was so out of place for MI2. And the musical score was horrible with the exception of the Spanish ladies dancing towards the beginning of the movie.

Speaking of John Woo, I would not mind having remastered versions of Hard Boiled and The Killer. Both in DTS 6.1!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks